Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem
Arlen G. Holder[_2_] Arlen G. Holder[_2_] is offline

Default What does chlorine do to a septic system?

The wife loves to dump tons of chlorine in the toilet bowls (don't ask why,
she just does).

I'm curious how that can possibly be good for the septic system, given
chlorine works best in the dark and given that even a small amount goes
pretty far.

I guess the good thing is that it only goes so far, where the biomass load
may overwhelm the chlorine.

Does anyone have real world data that tells us how much effect, say, a
gallon of supermarket chlorine (12% by volume, I think, or maybe by weight,
or maybe 6%, I don't remember) does to a typical septic system?