Posted to alt.home.repair

Default in-line automatic chlorine feeder does not put in enough

I have IG pool with a erosion in-line chlorine feeder. It sis is full
of tablets, the water is a warm 85 and still there is not enough
chlorine according to the tests tripe afters days of running. Any idea
what not. I am using the 3" tablets. The feeder is rated in size for
our 20,000 gallon pool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 1:38 pm, wrote:
I have IG pool with a erosion in-line chlorine feeder. It sis is full
of tablets, the water is a warm 85 and still there is not enough
chlorine according to the tests tripe afters days of running. Any idea
what not. I am using the 3" tablets. The feeder is rated in size for
our 20,000 gallon pool.

Inline chlorinators frequently have flow problems.

The chlorinator has to "steal" some of the water from the return flow,
use it to errode the tablets & reintroduce the chlorline laden water
back into the return flow at some point "downstream".

If you get too much prssure drop in the unit there's not enough
pressure to force the chlorinated water back into the return flow.

Additionally a gas pocket can form that prevents wetting of the entire
tablet stack.thus reducing the output of the chlorinator.

An offline chlorinator takes water from upstream of the filter, runs
it through the chlorinator & reintroduces the chlorinated water back
into the return flow at some point downstream. In this arrangement
there will always be plenty of pressure available to inject the
chlorinated water back into the return flow.

An offline chloriantor might be a little more work to install but I'll
but they work more reliably than the offline units..

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have IG pool with a erosion in-line chlorine feeder. It sis is full
of tablets, the water is a warm 85 and still there is not enough
chlorine according to the tests tripe afters days of running. Any idea
what not. I am using the 3" tablets. The feeder is rated in size for
our 20,000 gallon pool.

Need more info like other readings (Ph, alkalinity, stabilizer-cyanuric
acid), condition of water
Is your pool in all day sun? That eats chlorine like crazy.
Also, the chlorinator is made to maintain Cl levels, you may need to use
bleach or shock to get the level up, then let the chlorinator maintian that
level but even then, wihtou the correct evel of stabilizer, the chlorine
will go t the sun.
At 85 F and a low Ph, your pool might be right on the verge of exploding
with algea and the chlorine is using all of itself just to keep the algae in
check
You can Bob's advice and move the return line for the chlorinator to the
water return line AFTER the filter or you can stick some of the tabs in the
skimmer and see if that helps.
Last point, get rid of the strips, use a dropper test kit or better yet, get
one that can test for total and available Cl.

--

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

Any idea what not. I am using the 3" tablets.

I can't imagine this could possibly dose enough chlorine for a sunlit pool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 5:38 pm, "John" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

John-

Good post....I should mentioned the the issues rather just
concentrating on the chlorinator.

so here goes

OP-
some general comments

85F is pretty warm
those test strips are OK but have good mulit-test kit as a backup /
double check
what is chlorine demand? pool usage (number of people, etc),
organics, debris
how long does the filter run?
when was the chlorinator installed? ie when did you make the switch
from manual to automatic?
did it ever work?

try bringing up the Cl level with dry chlorine (or crush up some
tablets) & see if the inline unit can maintain it.

Also as John mentioned water chemistry is very important

but I assume everything was working fine with a floater or tabs in the
skimmer (btw not so good for copper plumbing or filter components;
BTDT )

and you just swithced over to automatic?

If this is the case the inline system is probably the problem.

cheers
Bob

Automatic cat feeder? Chris UK diy 27 October 28th 06 06:16 PM
Chlorine Alternative Doc Home Repair 0 September 17th 05 11:39 PM
automatic line feed grass/edge trimmer John Doe Home Repair 0 January 27th 05 07:04 AM
Put a Power Feeder on my Router Table (w/pics) David F. Eisan Woodworking 16 December 31st 04 10:40 PM
Automatic line feed grass/edge trimmers are the greatest. John Doe Home Repair 0 January 8th 04 12:16 AM