Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_28_] Frank[_28_] is offline

Default What does chlorine do to a septic system?

On 9/6/2019 1:45 PM, Davej wrote:
On Thursday, September 5, 2019 at 9:57:08 AM UTC-5, Arlen G. Holder wrote:
On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 16:38:12 -0700, Bob F wrote:

How do you know you never needed it? Aren't you at risk of a trashed
septic system if you don't have it checked once in a while?

How am I supposed to know if there is no "problem" extant?

You have to check it periodically unless you just don't care if you
may suddenly need to call in a backhoe to replace your drainage field.
What do you check? You check the amount of sludge and the amount of
scum. If either of those layers are thicker than 1/3 of the fluid
level then you definitely need to have the tank pumped out.

Had not heard such guidelines. Does sound sensible. As mentioned, mine
was pumped yesterday and solids level not mentioned but he told my wife
it was all liquid. I don't believe that. With just wife and I in the
house, I think we can wait five years. A neighbor in our situation told
my wife that they only had their tank pumped once in the forty or so
years they have lived there.

I had been more concerned about the status of the tank and would never
wait until a problem developed.