Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem
micky micky is offline

Default What does chlorine do to a septic system?

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 4 Sep 2019 19:20:33 -0000 (UTC), "Arlen G.
Holder" wrote:

The wife loves to dump tons of chlorine in the toilet bowls (don't ask why,
she just does).

It's a good pasttime. Much like playing chess.

I'm curious how that can possibly be good for the septic system, given
chlorine works best in the dark and given that even a small amount goes
pretty far.

I guess the good thing is that it only goes so far, where the biomass load
may overwhelm the chlorine.

Does anyone have real world data that tells us how much effect, say, a
gallon of supermarket chlorine (12% by volume, I think, or maybe by weight,
or maybe 6%, I don't remember) does to a typical septic system?

What does your grass look like near the finger system?

Ask the septic tank cleaner next time he comes if he saw anything, or if
he knows anything about this. Better yet, call the company now and ask
them. They won't charge extra if you make this admission, will they?
Maybe call from a pay phone so they won't know it's you.