Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default What does chlorine do to a septic system?

On 9/6/2019 11:23 PM, Bob F wrote:
On 9/5/2019 7:57 AM, Arlen G. Holder wrote:
On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 16:38:12 -0700, Bob F wrote:

How do you know you never needed it? Aren't you at risk of a trashed
septic system if you don't have it checked once in a while?

How am I supposed to know if there is no "problem" extant?

You get the septic tank and system inspected once in a while. If you
just let it go forever, eventually, the tank will overflow, the drain
field will get plugged up, and big bucks will get spent. Admittedly, I
have never had a septic system myself.

There are also possible mechanical problems like concrete degrading.
Several years ago the pumper found a part that needed patching. I also
have 2 drain fields and the switch box was degrading and I needed to fix
it. People we know needed a whole new tank as old was collapsing.

I have neighbors with newer systems which need more service. Apparently
drainage rules have changed where perk is more restrictive and they had
to add chemical treatment filters for the grey water (the water from the
overflow tank). These need clean out and replacement now and then.
Another neighbor who has to pump grey water to leach field up hill and
has had electrical failure of the pump.

I have well and septic and figure over the years I have saved thousands
of dollars not paying for water and sewer. OTOH a failure in either can
cost thousands and I have had these. On balance I am far ahead but it
is tough to get a big expense when it happens unexpectedly.