Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Find stud without stud finder

I lost my stud finder. I read where you can detect nails using a magnet suspended from a piece of string. It does not work. It does detect the metal strips where the walls intersect. Is there another method?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 18:24:08 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

I lost my stud finder. I read where you can detect nails using a magnet suspended from a piece of string. It does not work. It does detect the metal strips where the walls intersect. Is there another method?

Thanks

Tap on the drywall with your knuckle. The stud will sound different.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I lost my stud finder. I read where you can detect nails using a magnet suspended from a piece of string. It does not work. It does detect the metal strips where the walls intersect. Is there another method?

Thanks

The magnet WILL find drywall screws or nails if you do it right. Not
easy, but DEAD ACCURATE
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I lost my stud finder. I read where you can detect nails using a magnet suspended from a piece of string. It does not work. It does detect the metal strips where the walls intersect. Is there another method?

Thanks

The magnet WILL find drywall screws or nails if you do it right. Not
easy, but DEAD ACCURATE

I use a magnet out of an old 5 1/4" hard drive. I can just stick it to
the wall where and nail is. It even works on plaster where nail are
buried in the plaster, not at the surface.
Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

wrote:

I lost my stud finder. I read where you can detect nails using a magnet suspended from a piece of string. It does not work. It does detect the metal strips where the walls intersect. Is there another method?

Thanks

The magnet WILL find drywall screws or nails if you do it right. Not
easy, but DEAD ACCURATE

I use a magnet out of an old 5 1/4" hard drive. I can just stick it to
the wall where and nail is. It even works on plaster where nail are
buried in the plaster, not at the surface.

I may order one of these. They are much stronger than traditional magnets.

Neodymium Block Magnet 1 Inch 1/2 Inch 1/8 Inch N52 Super Strong

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 18:24:08 -0700 (PDT), Andy wrote:

I lost my stud finder. I read where you can detect nails using a magnet suspended from a piece of string. It does not work. It does detect the metal strips where the walls intersect. Is there another method?

Thanks

You need a strong magnet. I use the crescent shaped ones from old hard drives.
They're pretty thin, so put a 3-4" piece of tape on it to prevent dropping it.
Lightly rub it on the wall until you get a hit. It'll stick to any nail or screw. Easy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 Aug 2019 22:45:45 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 18:24:08 -0700 (PDT), Andy wrote:

I lost my stud finder. I read where you can detect nails using a magnet suspended from a piece of string. It does not work. It does detect the metal strips where the walls intersect. Is there another method?

Thanks

You need a strong magnet. I use the crescent shaped ones from old hard drives.
They're pretty thin, so put a 3-4" piece of tape on it to prevent dropping it.
Lightly rub it on the wall until you get a hit. It'll stick to any nail or screw. Easy.

I stillhave mny dad's old original magnetic stud finder - like a
compass.
Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

wrote:

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 18:24:08 -0700 (PDT), Andy wrote:

I lost my stud finder. I read where you can detect nails using a magnet suspended from a piece of string. It does not work. It does detect the metal strips where the walls intersect. Is there another method?

Thanks

You need a strong magnet. I use the crescent shaped ones from old hard drives.
They're pretty thin, so put a 3-4" piece of tape on it to prevent dropping it.
Lightly rub it on the wall until you get a hit. It'll stick to any nail or screw. Easy.

I stillhave mny dad's old original magnetic stud finder - like a
compass.

I tried a compass.

It only responds to LARGE pieces of iron.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 8 Aug 2019 18:24:08 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

I lost my stud finder. I read where you can detect nails using a magnet suspended from a piece of string. It does not work. It does detect the metal strips where the walls intersect. Is there another method?

Thanks

I think the methods here are better, but for the record they used to
recommend nailing a thin nail where the holes would not be seen, esp
where it woudl be covered by molding, and judging by how easily the nail
went in the hole.

ONce you think you've found a stud, to make sure, generally the next one
is 16" away, except at the end of walls, sometimes.

But the electronic stud finders are great. My brother always buys me
the best presents. I didn't even know I wanted one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I lost my stud finder. I read where you can detect nails using a magnet suspended from a piece of string. It does not work. It does detect the metal strips where the walls intersect. Is there another method?

If your smartphone has a compass and a mostly flat back, you can use a
stud finder app. They work well in my experience and are easy to use.

Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 4:07:07 AM UTC-5, M. L. wrote:
I lost my stud finder. I read where you can detect nails using a magnet suspended from a piece of string. It does not work. It does detect the metal strips where the walls intersect. Is there another method?

If your smartphone has a compass and a mostly flat back, you can use a
stud finder app. They work well in my experience and are easy to use.

I installed 3 stud finder apps.

I am afraid that they are "useless at teats on a boar."

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 4:36:55 AM UTC-5, A K wrote:
On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 4:07:07 AM UTC-5, M. L. wrote:
I lost my stud finder. I read where you can detect nails using a magnet suspended from a piece of string. It does not work. It does detect the metal strips where the walls intersect. Is there another method?

If your smartphone has a compass and a mostly flat back, you can use a
stud finder app. They work well in my experience and are easy to use.

I installed 3 stud finder apps.

I am afraid that they are "useless at teats on a boar."

Andy

I got one of these.

Cheaper than the usual stud finder and much better.

Stanley 47-400 Magnetic Stud Finder

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-47-40...ateway&sr=8-24
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 18:03:25 -0700 (PDT), A K
wrote:

On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 4:36:55 AM UTC-5, A K wrote:
On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 4:07:07 AM UTC-5, M. L. wrote:
I lost my stud finder. I read where you can detect nails using a magnet suspended from a piece of string. It does not work. It does detect the metal strips where the walls intersect. Is there another method?

If your smartphone has a compass and a mostly flat back, you can use a
stud finder app. They work well in my experience and are easy to use.

I installed 3 stud finder apps.

I am afraid that they are "useless at teats on a boar."

Andy

I got one of these.

Cheaper than the usual stud finder and much better.

Stanley 47-400 Magnetic Stud Finder

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-47-40...ateway&sr=8-24

That's the "compass" style I inherited from my dad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I lost my stud finder. I read where you can detect nails using a magnet suspended from a piece of string. It does not work. It does detect the metal strips where the walls intersect. Is there another method?

Thanks

I think the methods here are better, but for the record they used to
recommend nailing a thin nail where the holes would not be seen, esp
where it woudl be covered by molding, and judging by how easily the nail
went in the hole.

ONce you think you've found a stud, to make sure, generally the next one
is 16" away, except at the end of walls, sometimes.

But the electronic stud finders are great. My brother always buys me
the best presents. I didn't even know I wanted one.

On wallboard, it is pretty easy to find the studs by tapping on the wall
alone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I lost my stud finder. I read where you can detect nails using a
magnet suspended from a piece of string. It does not work. It does
detect the metal strips where the walls intersect. Is there another
method?

Thanks

I think the methods here are better, but for the record they used to
recommend nailing a thin nail where the holes would not be seen, esp
where it woudl be covered by molding, and judging by how easily the nail
went in the hole.

ONce you think you've found a stud, to make sure, generally the next one
is 16" away, except at the end of walls, sometimes.

But the electronic stud finders are great.Â* My brother always buys me
the best presents.Â* I didn't even know I wanted one.

On wallboard, it is pretty easy to find the studs by tapping on the wall
alone.

That's what I used to do with reasonable accuracy for decades.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's what I did for decades too, verifying with a 1/8" drill bit.
But a strong magnet hangs on the screw/nail every time. Easy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Actually a 6 penny finish nail or one of the nails they use on those
picture hooks is a better choice, much smaller hole.
These days a stud finder is so cheap, anyone hanging more than a small
picture or two should buy one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

+ 1

The magnet will find the mis-placed screws . .
the stud-finder will find the stud.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

wrote:

[...]

Are you saying that the magnet would find screws or nails that "missed" going into the 2x4 ?

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yes - along with the ones that DID hit the stud - up to you to to
decide which ones is which.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's a concern?
On walls/ceilings I have never seen a buried drywall nail/screw that wasn't in a stud or
joist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The magnet will find the off-center screws.
... the stud sensor will find the edges of the stud -
- the person will find the stud center.
I have seen warped / bowed studs.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've seen a few that missed - the drywall hangers may have been
partying the night before or were just incompetent.. Generally missed
by less than a quarter of an inch

Edge finder/ Center finder question Roger Shoaf Metalworking 9 June 8th 08 05:22 PM
Stud finder - buying advice? All Thumbs Home Repair 2 November 6th 05 01:42 PM
Stud Finder Technology jerglass Woodworking 5 August 8th 05 05:27 PM
Stud finder? Tim Lamb UK diy 4 May 15th 05 09:08 PM
I lost my stud finder John Harlow Home Repair 6 April 9th 05 04:41 PM