Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

Default Find stud without stud finder

On Thursday, August 8, 2019 at 10:28:03 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
On 8/8/2019 6:54 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 18:24:08 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

I lost my stud finder. I read where you can detect nails using a magnet suspended from a piece of string. It does not work. It does detect the metal strips where the walls intersect. Is there another method?

Thanks

The magnet WILL find drywall screws or nails if you do it right. Not
easy, but DEAD ACCURATE

I use a magnet out of an old 5 1/4" hard drive. I can just stick it to
the wall where and nail is. It even works on plaster where nail are
buried in the plaster, not at the surface.

I may order one of these. They are much stronger than traditional magnets.

Neodymium Block Magnet 1 Inch 1/2 Inch 1/8 Inch N52 Super Strong

Andy