Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Find stud without stud finder

On 8/8/2019 11:34 PM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 8 Aug 2019 18:24:08 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

I lost my stud finder. I read where you can detect nails using a magnet suspended from a piece of string. It does not work. It does detect the metal strips where the walls intersect. Is there another method?

Thanks

I think the methods here are better, but for the record they used to
recommend nailing a thin nail where the holes would not be seen, esp
where it woudl be covered by molding, and judging by how easily the nail
went in the hole.

ONce you think you've found a stud, to make sure, generally the next one
is 16" away, except at the end of walls, sometimes.

But the electronic stud finders are great. My brother always buys me
the best presents. I didn't even know I wanted one.

On wallboard, it is pretty easy to find the studs by tapping on the wall
alone.