Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Find stud without stud finder

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 18:03:25 -0700 (PDT), A K
wrote:

On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 4:36:55 AM UTC-5, A K wrote:
On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 4:07:07 AM UTC-5, M. L. wrote:
I lost my stud finder. I read where you can detect nails using a magnet suspended from a piece of string. It does not work. It does detect the metal strips where the walls intersect. Is there another method?

If your smartphone has a compass and a mostly flat back, you can use a
stud finder app. They work well in my experience and are easy to use.

I installed 3 stud finder apps.

I am afraid that they are "useless at teats on a boar."

Andy

I got one of these.

Cheaper than the usual stud finder and much better.

Stanley 47-400 Magnetic Stud Finder

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-47-40...ateway&sr=8-24

That's the "compass" style I inherited from my dad.