Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Find stud without stud finder

On Thu, 08 Aug 2019 22:45:45 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 18:24:08 -0700 (PDT), Andy wrote:

I lost my stud finder. I read where you can detect nails using a magnet suspended from a piece of string. It does not work. It does detect the metal strips where the walls intersect. Is there another method?

Thanks

You need a strong magnet. I use the crescent shaped ones from old hard drives.
They're pretty thin, so put a 3-4" piece of tape on it to prevent dropping it.
Lightly rub it on the wall until you get a hit. It'll stick to any nail or screw. Easy.

I stillhave mny dad's old original magnetic stud finder - like a
compass.