Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Find stud without stud finder

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 02:56:57 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 00:10:24 -0400, Clare Snyder wrote:

On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 19:07:01 -0700 (PDT), A K
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 13, 2019 at 7:14:40 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 20:10:51 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 17:35:59 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 22:33:37 +1000, Xeno wrote:

On 13/8/19 12:20 pm, Bob F wrote:
On 8/8/2019 11:34 PM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 8 Aug 2019 18:24:08 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

I lost my stud finder. I read where you can detect nails using a
magnet suspended from a piece of string. It does not work. It does
detect the metal strips where the walls intersect. Is there another
method?

Thanks

I think the methods here are better, but for the record they used to
recommend nailing a thin nail where the holes would not be seen, esp
where it woudl be covered by molding, and judging by how easily the nail
went in the hole.

ONce you think you've found a stud, to make sure, generally the next one
is 16" away, except at the end of walls, sometimes.

But the electronic stud finders are great.* My brother always buys me
the best presents.* I didn't even know I wanted one.

On wallboard, it is pretty easy to find the studs by tapping on the wall
alone.

That's what I used to do with reasonable accuracy for decades.

That's what I did for decades too, verifying with a 1/8" drill bit.
But a strong magnet hangs on the screw/nail every time. Easy.

Actually a 6 penny finish nail or one of the nails they use on those
picture hooks is a better choice, much smaller hole.
These days a stud finder is so cheap, anyone hanging more than a small
picture or two should buy one.

+ 1

The magnet will find the mis-placed screws . .
the stud-finder will find the stud.
John T.

Are you saying that the magnet would find screws or nails that "missed" going into the 2x4 ?

Andy

Yes - along with the ones that DID hit the stud - up to you to to
decide which ones is which.

That's a concern?
On walls/ceilings I have never seen a buried drywall nail/screw that wasn't in a stud or
joist.

The magnet will find the off-center screws.
... the stud sensor will find the edges of the stud -
- the person will find the stud center.
I have seen warped / bowed studs.
John T.