Tim Lamb

Default Stud finder?

Would anyone care to recommend a stud finder?

My ears don't seem able to pick out the right spots by gentle tapping.
This is a modern plaster board internal wall and hopefully not foil
backed.

Somewhere I have the triangular multipurpose job supplied by Draper but
no confidence in it being able to find a tree in sunlight.

regards
--
Tim Lamb
John Rumm

Tim Lamb wrote:

Would anyone care to recommend a stud finder?

My ears don't seem able to pick out the right spots by gentle tapping.
This is a modern plaster board internal wall and hopefully not foil backed.

Somewhere I have the triangular multipurpose job supplied by Draper but
no confidence in it being able to find a tree in sunlight.

Zircon Triscanner Pro. RS stock number 493-3370

It is the only one I have used that actually works well enough to trust.

(They also seem to have a dedicated stud finder now that is a bit
cheaper. Cat number 493-3364)

--
Cheers,

John.

Harry Bloomfield

Tim Lamb wrote on 14/05/2005 :
My ears don't seem able to pick out the right spots by gentle tapping. This
is a modern plaster board internal wall and hopefully not foil backed.

Then I would suggest your technique might be wrong. I turn my hand palm
towards me and drum my finger nails against the plaster board rapidly,
moving left and right listening for the change in tone. I mark the
spot, then further confirm it with more light drumming. I follow this
with probing with a thin bladed screw driver.

It just takes a little practise.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Tim Lamb

In message , John
Rumm writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

Would anyone care to recommend a stud finder?
My ears don't seem able to pick out the right spots by gentle
tapping. This is a modern plaster board internal wall and hopefully
not foil backed.
Somewhere I have the triangular multipurpose job supplied by Draper
but no confidence in it being able to find a tree in sunlight.

Zircon Triscanner Pro. RS stock number 493-3370

OK Just the job, Ta. Handy for finding nails in recovered timber before
sawing as well.

Tapping the finger nails does not seem to work for me. I avoid singing
in company which may be related to tone recognition:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Stefek Zaba

John Rumm wrote:

Zircon Triscanner Pro. RS stock number 493-3370

It is the only one I have used that actually works well enough to trust.

lusermode flavour=aolMe Too/lusermode

In my experience, this one finds stud edges to within a few mils - their
operating instructions are basically 'slide from LtoR, mark where it
first beeps, that's pretty much the LH edge of the stud. Repeat sliding
from RtoL, that's pretty much the RH edge of the stud. Drill yer 'ole
halfway between them two marks'. Works well for me...

Stefek