All Thumbs

Default Stud finder - buying advice?

I have an inexpensive stud finder that doesn't seem to work too well.
The local big box stores carry models ranging from around $10 to over
$50. Of course, the pricier ones come with more features - like
detection/location of AC lines and metal pipes. Some are integrated with
a laser level.

In your experience, is it worth the money to get a pricier/fancier model
as opposed to a basic one?
Bill

When I am using a stud finder, it is because I am about to drill or saw into
a wall/ceiling/floor. It is *very* good to know as much information as
possible about what is behind where I am about to drill.

Is there an AC wire? Is there a pipe? Where are the studs? Is the wall
constructed with metal studs? Etc.

So I get the model which will give me the most information, which is simple
to use (the fewer buttons/settings, the better), and is least expensive with
all these features. I think there were 3 models which did *all* this stuff
and I chose the slightly more expensive model. I think it had fewer buttons
to push. But I did not buy the most expensive model which had stuff I never
would need.

"All Thumbs" wrote in message
I have an inexpensive stud finder that doesn't seem to work too well. The
local big box stores carry models ranging from around $10 to over $50. Of
course, the pricier ones come with more features - like detection/location
of AC lines and metal pipes. Some are integrated with a laser level.

In your experience, is it worth the money to get a pricier/fancier model
as opposed to a basic one?

Pop

I only bought the one I could find specs for. I was pretty
amazed to notice the specs on a lot of them were +/- 1/2" or
more! And the cheap ones don't have any specs at all. Anyway, I
buy by the numbers, so to speak. That in turn means you have to
buy from a place that specializes in that kind of equipment, not
an RS or Sears etc..

HTH,
Pop

: