Peter Hemmings

Default Cyclone Upright Vacuum Cleaners - Buying Advice

I Have an old Hoover Aquajet and am getting tired of continually replacing
the "wafer thin" bags which are now sold as spares, and I will be looking
for a basic "cyclone" upright in the near future. I understand there are
now more options now than just Dyson, and as I have heard of some bad
reports of them (expensive parts/unreliability), I would appreciate some
actual user feedback.
For information, I had an interesting conversation with the owner of a
repair shop in Bristol. He said most cyclone problems were due to not
cleaning the filter every couple of months and trying to use the machine
with a wet filter after cleaning! He also suggested getting a spare filter
so that I could usr the vacumm while the filter dried out completely
(which can take a few days).
Thanks
Bob Mannix

"Peter Hemmings" wrote in message
news
I Have an old Hoover Aquajet and am getting tired of continually replacing
the "wafer thin" bags which are now sold as spares, and I will be looking
for a basic "cyclone" upright in the near future. I understand there are
now more options now than just Dyson, and as I have heard of some bad
reports of them (expensive parts/unreliability), I would appreciate some
actual user feedback.
For information, I had an interesting conversation with the owner of a
repair shop in Bristol. He said most cyclone problems were due to not
cleaning the filter every couple of months and trying to use the machine
with a wet filter after cleaning! He also suggested getting a spare filter
so that I could usr the vacumm while the filter dried out completely
(which can take a few days).

These are not suggestions, they are essential. Two months - ha! I have to
change the filter every time I empty the machine (Dyson). As they are now
washable, you just need two sets as the man says.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Martin Angove

In message ,
"Bob Mannix" wrote:

[...]

We started having to do that, which was odd as it was about 4 months
before the filter needed its first clean. We also noticed that the
machine (DC07) had a noticeably weaker "suck". Eventually we called the
engineer (the machine was about 14 months old) and he diagnosed seals
gone and a blockage in the cyclone unit.

Free of charge new cyclone unit, new clear bin, new filter housing and
new filter. The difference is dramatic. Suction back to levels we
thought were just our imaginings, and haven't had to clean the filter
since April, though looking at it now it must be getting near to wash
time.

If your machine is still under two years old, I'd seriously suggest
calling in the engineer. You might be surprised.

Hwyl!

Martin.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html
Peter Hemmings

In message , Bob Mannix
writes
[...]

Thanks for the confirmation
BTW What is the main difference between say a DC04i and DC07's.
Is it just a higher level of filtration or something I would really
need!?

--
Peter Hemmings
Alan Shilling

"Martin Angove" wrote in message
In message ,
"Bob Mannix" wrote:

"Peter Hemmings" wrote in message
news

Snipped
[...]

Had exactly the same experience, DC07 - and at 14 months old too! The
engineer reckoned that there were rough bits on the casting of the tiny
cyclone passages, and gunge had accumulated. I attempted to check out this
theory but the thing seems to be glued together - however I was able to
flush the passages out with water, so I now have a spare unit for the next
time it clags up (i.e just after the guarantee expires) although as this may
be due to a manufacturing defect, the sale of goods act applies.............

Didn't get a new filter (already had two), but he advised putting the yellow
plastic one in a 40 degrees wash - it came out looking like new.

He also slipped a thick rubber washer under the filter, I think this was to
stop air by-passing the filter by following the slight gap round the spindle
in the middle.

Dyson - no loss of suction - that's just not true. No loss of suction due to
accumulation of dust in the bin, maybe.

Alan Shilling

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Peter Hemmings writes:

Thanks for the confirmation
BTW What is the main difference between say a DC04i and DC07's.

I have both a DC04 and a DC07.
The DC07 has significantly more suck, and lots of little usability
improvements. It replaced the DC04.

Not sure what DC04i is -- they do a DC04 for industrial use, but
I haven't heard DC04i term used before. The standard DC04 is
obsolete now -- there's still stock around but if it's more
than £160, then I would say it's over priced old stock.

--
Andrew Gabriel
jerrybuilt

Martin Angove wrote:
[ snip Dyson vacuum c leaner problems ]
If your machine is still under two years old, I'd seriously
suggest calling in the engineer.

An *engineer*?

(The Importance of Being Earnest)

Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

John

Why would it be necessary to 'call an engineer'. If the technology defeats
someone who can use a PC to access newsgroups one would think they would
realise that the Dyson could be taken to the shop - or to a repair shop - in
the back of the car.

--

Regards

John

"Bob Mannix" wrote:

[...]

---

Paul C. Dickie

In article , Alan Shilling
writes
Dyson - no loss of suction - that's just not true. No loss of suction due to
accumulation of dust in the bin, maybe.

Fancy that...

--
Paul
Martin Angove

In message ,
"John" wrote:

Why would it be necessary to 'call an engineer'. If the technology defeats
someone who can use a PC to access newsgroups one would think they would
realise that the Dyson could be taken to the shop - or to a repair shop - in
the back of the car.

Not quite sure why you top posted and then quoted my message *below*
your .sig, causing my newsreader to discard it on "reply" but...

....I was suggesting calling an engineer because this is *free*. If the
Dyson is within the (2 year) guarantee, you spend five minutes on a
local phonecall and the next day some bloke in a van pulls up to your
house. If the fault is with the machine - and it most likely is - then
the fix and the parts are free. No need to lump the machine into the
back of a (possibly non-existant) car and lug it to some shop or other.
We bought ours, for example, from a shop in Meadowhell (Sheffield for
the uninitiated). Taking it back probably means a 300 yard walk from a
car park space, even at a quiet time.

Taking it back also means some time spent without the machine, and
probably means going to fetch it too.

All in all, much better to "call the engineer".

Hwyl!

Martin.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html
.... When everything is relative, even relativity loses meaning.

Martin Angove

In message ,
"jerrybuilt " ] wrote:

Martin Angove wrote:
[ snip Dyson vacuum c leaner problems ]
If your machine is still under two years old, I'd seriously
suggest calling in the engineer.

An *engineer*?

(The Importance of Being Earnest)

:-)

M.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html
.... Anything not nailed down is a cat's toy
Bob Eager

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 16:34:48 UTC, "John"
wrote:

Why would it be necessary to 'call an engineer'. If the technology defeats
someone who can use a PC to access newsgroups one would think they would
realise that the Dyson could be taken to the shop - or to a repair shop - in
the back of the car.

He mentioned two years...presumably the engineer is included in the two
year warranty. Paid for it...might as well use it!

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..

Gnube

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 07:24:10 -0400, "jerrybuilt "
] wrote:

Martin Angove wrote:
[ snip Dyson vacuum c leaner problems ]
If your machine is still under two years old, I'd seriously
suggest calling in the engineer.

An *engineer*?

(The Importance of Being Earnest)

Would that be the Hinge or the Bracket then? ;O)

Take Care,
Gnube