Martin Angove

Default Cyclone Upright Vacuum Cleaners - Buying Advice

In message ,
"Bob Mannix" wrote:

"Peter Hemmings" wrote in message
news
I Have an old Hoover Aquajet and am getting tired of continually replacing
the "wafer thin" bags which are now sold as spares, and I will be looking
for a basic "cyclone" upright in the near future. I understand there are
now more options now than just Dyson, and as I have heard of some bad
reports of them (expensive parts/unreliability), I would appreciate some
actual user feedback.
For information, I had an interesting conversation with the owner of a
repair shop in Bristol. He said most cyclone problems were due to not
cleaning the filter every couple of months and trying to use the machine
with a wet filter after cleaning! He also suggested getting a spare filter
so that I could usr the vacumm while the filter dried out completely
(which can take a few days).

These are not suggestions, they are essential. Two months - ha! I have to
change the filter every time I empty the machine (Dyson). As they are now
washable, you just need two sets as the man says.

We started having to do that, which was odd as it was about 4 months
before the filter needed its first clean. We also noticed that the
machine (DC07) had a noticeably weaker "suck". Eventually we called the
engineer (the machine was about 14 months old) and he diagnosed seals
gone and a blockage in the cyclone unit.

Free of charge new cyclone unit, new clear bin, new filter housing and
new filter. The difference is dramatic. Suction back to levels we
thought were just our imaginings, and haven't had to clean the filter
since April, though looking at it now it must be getting near to wash
time.

If your machine is still under two years old, I'd seriously suggest
calling in the engineer. You might be surprised.

Hwyl!

Martin.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html