Alan Shilling

Default Cyclone Upright Vacuum Cleaners - Buying Advice

"Martin Angove" wrote in message
In message ,
"Bob Mannix" wrote:

"Peter Hemmings" wrote in message
news

Snipped
These are not suggestions, they are essential. Two months - ha! I have

change the filter every time I empty the machine (Dyson). As they are

now
washable, you just need two sets as the man says.

We started having to do that, which was odd as it was about 4 months
before the filter needed its first clean. We also noticed that the
machine (DC07) had a noticeably weaker "suck". Eventually we called the
engineer (the machine was about 14 months old) and he diagnosed seals
gone and a blockage in the cyclone unit.

Free of charge new cyclone unit, new clear bin, new filter housing and
new filter. The difference is dramatic. Suction back to levels we
thought were just our imaginings, and haven't had to clean the filter
since April, though looking at it now it must be getting near to wash
time.

If your machine is still under two years old, I'd seriously suggest
calling in the engineer. You might be surprised.

Had exactly the same experience, DC07 - and at 14 months old too! The
engineer reckoned that there were rough bits on the casting of the tiny
cyclone passages, and gunge had accumulated. I attempted to check out this
theory but the thing seems to be glued together - however I was able to
flush the passages out with water, so I now have a spare unit for the next
time it clags up (i.e just after the guarantee expires) although as this may
be due to a manufacturing defect, the sale of goods act applies.............

Didn't get a new filter (already had two), but he advised putting the yellow
plastic one in a 40 degrees wash - it came out looking like new.

He also slipped a thick rubber washer under the filter, I think this was to
stop air by-passing the filter by following the slight gap round the spindle
in the middle.

Dyson - no loss of suction - that's just not true. No loss of suction due to
accumulation of dust in the bin, maybe.

Alan Shilling