Bill

Default Stud finder - buying advice?

When I am using a stud finder, it is because I am about to drill or saw into
a wall/ceiling/floor. It is *very* good to know as much information as
possible about what is behind where I am about to drill.

Is there an AC wire? Is there a pipe? Where are the studs? Is the wall
constructed with metal studs? Etc.

So I get the model which will give me the most information, which is simple
to use (the fewer buttons/settings, the better), and is least expensive with
all these features. I think there were 3 models which did *all* this stuff
and I chose the slightly more expensive model. I think it had fewer buttons
to push. But I did not buy the most expensive model which had stuff I never
would need.

"All Thumbs" wrote in message
I have an inexpensive stud finder that doesn't seem to work too well. The
local big box stores carry models ranging from around $10 to over $50. Of
course, the pricier ones come with more features - like detection/location
of AC lines and metal pipes. Some are integrated with a laser level.

In your experience, is it worth the money to get a pricier/fancier model
as opposed to a basic one?