Posted to alt.home.repair

Default California fires?

Why is it being called a "camp fire"?
--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2018 2:12 AM, Bod wrote:
Why is it being called a "camp fire"?

They name the fires for the location that they started.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17/11/2018 12:30, Frank wrote:
On 11/17/2018 2:12 AM, Bod wrote:
Why is it being called a "camp fire"?

They name the fires for the location that they started.

Oh thanks, Frank.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/18 7:30 AM, Frank wrote:
On 11/17/2018 2:12 AM, Bod wrote:
Why is it being called a "camp fire"?

They name the fires for the location that they started.

I'm surprised The Weather Channel hasn't started naming them
alphabetically like they're doing now for winter storms. How stupid is that?

--
Ever notice the shortage of "armed law-abiding citizen victim tragedy
stories in the news?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2018 7:42 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 11/17/18 7:30 AM, Frank wrote:
On 11/17/2018 2:12 AM, Bod wrote:
Why is it being called a "camp fire"?

They name the fires for the location that they started.

I'm surprised The Weather Channel hasn't started naming them
alphabetically like they're doing now for winter storms. How stupid is
that?

That is stupid and it is why people are asking how the fires got their
names as maybe they expect it should be alphabetically.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/18 6:42 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 11/17/18 7:30 AM, Frank wrote:
On 11/17/2018 2:12 AM, Bod wrote:
Why is it being called a "camp fire"?

They name the fires for the location that they started.

I'm surprised The Weather Channel hasn't started naming them
alphabetically like they're doing now for winter storms. How stupid is
that?

Naming winter storms seems silly in the first place. They probably
worry
about the names being sexist, racist, ............ist too.
Blizzards happen fairly often. Why do common things like that need
names?
Are we that starved for attention or the need to feel special?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/18 7:30 AM, Frank wrote:
On 11/17/2018 2:12 AM, Bod wrote:
Why is it being called a "camp fire"?

They name the fires for the location that they started.

I'm surprised The Weather Channel hasn't started naming them
alphabetically like they're doing now for winter storms. How stupid is
that?

That is stupid and it is why people are asking how the fires got their
names as maybe they expect it should be alphabetically.

Yup, common sense and good practical judgement are becoming increasingly
scarce commodities...

--
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2018 2:12 AM, Bod wrote:
Why is it being called a "camp fire"?

They name the fires for the location that they started.

Oh thanks, Frank.

--
Bod

That partially answers it. And in this case it's named that because
it started at Camp Creek Road. There was one a couple months ago
where on TV and radio they were calling it the "car fire". I wondered
what that was all about. In print it's the Carr fire, again the name
of the location it started.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/18 7:30 AM, Frank wrote:
On 11/17/2018 2:12 AM, Bod wrote:
Why is it being called a "camp fire"?

They name the fires for the location that they started.

I'm surprised The Weather Channel hasn't started naming them
alphabetically like they're doing now for winter storms. How stupid is
that?

*** Naming winter storms seems silly in the first place.* They probably
worry
about the names being sexist, racist,* ............ist too.
** Blizzards happen fairly often.* Why do common things like that need
names?
Are we that starved for attention or the need to feel special?

I just was something this morning Yes, using people names are considered
sexist by some. One suggestion is to use plants and animals.

Why do you object to names? Maybe not every store, just major ones
should be named. Would storm 1387 be remember as much as storm 1452?
But we do remember particular storms that inflicted a lot of damage even
decades later. I was a kid and went through Hurricane Hazel, I recall
the power outage from Gloria, etc.

When two or three storms are moving it also helps to tell them apart.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/18 7:30 AM, Frank wrote:
On 11/17/2018 2:12 AM, Bod wrote:
Why is it being called a "camp fire"?

They name the fires for the location that they started.

I'm surprised The Weather Channel hasn't started naming them
alphabetically like they're doing now for winter storms. How stupid is
that?

*** Naming winter storms seems silly in the first place..* They probably
worry
about the names being sexist, racist,* ............ist too.
** Blizzards happen fairly often.* Why do common things like that need
names?
Are we that starved for attention or the need to feel special?

I just was something this morning Yes, using people names are considered
sexist by some. One suggestion is to use plants and animals.

Why do you object to names? Maybe not every store, just major ones
should be named.

I think the issue here is that it's the Weather Channel that apparently
started on it's own to name winter storms. Hurricanes have been named
for decades, but AFAIK, that was started by and is still run by a govt
agency. They pick the names. In this case, it's TWC, a commercial
enterprise picking names. Is anyone else even following it? I've
never heard it until now, so I suspect not.

I agree with you, I have no issue naming them, it's who does it and how
it's done that's open to question. In the case of hurricanes, we know
what the metrics are, what the windspeed has to be for those storms to
be named. Are there similar, logical rules for these winter storms?

Would storm 1387 be remember as much as storm 1452?
But we do remember particular storms that inflicted a lot of damage even
decades later. I was a kid and went through Hurricane Hazel, I recall
the power outage from Gloria, etc.

When two or three storms are moving it also helps to tell them apart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2018 2:12 AM, Bod wrote:
Why is it being called a "camp fire"?

They name the fires for the location that they started.

Oh thanks, Frank.

--
Bod

That partially answers it. And in this case it's named that because
it started at Camp Creek Road. There was one a couple months ago
where on TV and radio they were calling it the "car fire". I wondered
what that was all about. In print it's the Carr fire, again the name
of the location it started.

Also thanks, trader.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2018 2:12 AM, Bod wrote:
Why is it being called a "camp fire"?

They name the fires for the location that they started.

Oh thanks, Frank.

--
Bod

That partially answers it. And in this case it's named that because
it started at Camp Creek Road. There was one a couple months ago
where on TV and radio they were calling it the "car fire". I wondered
what that was all about. In print it's the Carr fire, again the name
of the location it started.

Also thanks, trader.

--
Bod

I'm waiting to see what happens with the investigation into what started it.
Looks like good chance it was caused by a problem with the utility electric
lines. They were working on some kind of problem around the time it
started. Apparently a few others fires in recent years have been started
the same way. It will be interesting to see what went on, like there was
talk that there were wires sparking, so did they immediately call in the
fire dept, to ask for assistance, BEFORE it actually started?

I was thinking about Trump trying to blame forest management for the problem.
Instead of trying to point a finger, maybe the fed govt could take a look
at what can be done to prevent future tragedies? One thing that comes to
mind is, how many air tankers are available to fight these fires and how
fast can they respond, when are they called in, etc? I'm betting that
they don't call those resource in until the fire is already out of control
and then it probably takes quite some time for them to spin up and arrive.
How about federal help for a coordinated, multi-state system, where these
are on standby 24/7, ready to takeoff within mins and they are called upon
automatically whenever they know they have a potentially serious fire,
ie one that's in a dry, forest, ready to go up? Is there value in hitting
it very early, very quickly, with a lot of support, instead of later when
it's already out of control?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/18 7:30 AM, Frank wrote:
On 11/17/2018 2:12 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

I'd probably limit naming to actual blizzards. It isn't that hard to
say the first storm, second storm, etc. when talking about future events.
Standards he
https://www.livescience.com/32210-what-is-a-blizzard.html
One can look up the Blizzard of '88. Wikipedia will mention
the Schoolhouse Blizzard.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Blizzard_of_1888

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/18 7:30 AM, Frank wrote:
On 11/17/2018 2:12 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

They also retire a tropical storm name when it is a particularly
damaging storm but I am not sure what the criteria is for that. A lot
of times the damage has little to do with the strength of the storm,
just what it hit. Sandy was a good example of that. That was a
mediocre tropical storm but it smacked into a place totally unprepared
for any kind of tropical storm at all.
They used to all have women's names until the 70s when the feminists
complained.

The Camp Fire is somewhat deceiving since a lot of people may assume a
campfire got away from the campers. The last guess I heard was it was
a failing (electrical) transmission line throwing sparks onto dry
vegetation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Camp Fire is somewhat deceiving since a lot of people
may assume a
campfire got away from the campers. The last guess I heard
was it was
a failing (electrical) transmission line throwing sparks
onto dry
vegetation.

CA Gov Jerry Brown vetoed this bill to address the
problem of electrical fires. WTF?

http://www.flashreport.org/blog/2018...sPgbNhxQoXxQwY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 12:18:17 PM UTC-5, BurfordTJustice wrote:
"GB" wrote in message
news : On 17/11/2018 13:39, harry wrote:
: On Saturday, 17 November 2018 12:28:26 UTC, BurfordTJustice wrote:
: Well as a dumb ****tard you wan to run mouth without even knowing the
facts.
:
: Were you produced by lymeboi's loins?
:
:
:
: "Bod" wrote in message
: ...
: : Why is it being called a "camp fire"?
: : --
: : Bod
:
: Started by jihadists rumour has it.
:
: LOL. The local electricity companies are under suspicion for starting
: it, due to a faulty installation.
:
: Harry, people like you are so credulous. You'll believe any false news
: that chimes with your bigotry.
:
:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...pge-edison-sce

ROFL

Look who's talking. You've made countless posts here using BS from fake
sources. Most time, you don't even give a link, for obvious reasons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 12:10:02 PM UTC-5, BurfordTJustice wrote:
Calif run by your liberals has the most and biggest fires...there is the
story..

As if the weather climate and vegetation is the same in CA as it is in
NY. I've been there hundreds of times and lived there. Have you?

Not your fake news ****.

: On 11/17/2018 2:12 AM, Bod wrote:
: Why is it being called a "camp fire"?
:
: They name the fires for the location that they started.
:
: Oh thanks, Frank.
:
: --
: Bod
:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
On 11/17/18 7:30 AM, Frank wrote:
On 11/17/2018 2:12 AM, Bod wrote:
Why is it being called a "camp fire"?

They name the fires for the location that they started.

I'm surprised The Weather Channel hasn't started naming them
alphabetically like they're doing now for winter storms. How stupid is
that?

Naming winter storms seems silly in the first place. They probably
worry
about the names being sexist, racist, ............ist too.
Blizzards happen fairly often.

Why do common things like that need names?

Presumably because its easier than 'that one that started in x on thursday'
etc.

Are we that starved for attention or the need to feel special?

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal

On 11/17/18 4:28 AM, BurfordTJustice wrote:
Well as a dumb ****tard you wan to run mouth without even knowing the facts.

Were you produced by lymeboi's loins?

you have such an interesting way of admitting that you don't know

"Bod" wrote in message
: Why is it being called a "camp fire"?
: --
: Bod

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 06:21:36 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Why do common things like that need names?

Presumably

IOW, you don't know, Ozzietard!

little ignorant ****."
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 7:43:01 AM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 11/17/18 7:30 AM, Frank wrote:
On 11/17/2018 2:12 AM, Bod wrote:
Why is it being called a "camp fire"?

They name the fires for the location that they started.

I'm surprised The Weather Channel hasn't started naming them
alphabetically like they're doing now for winter storms. How stupid is that?

I'm pretty sure the Weather Channel does that for some kind of monetary gain.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 07:12:54 +0000, Bod wrote:

Why is it being called a "camp fire"?

Published about ten minutes ago...
A Deadly Tsumani of Fire
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...trophe/576130/

Subtitled:
The Camp Fire now ranks among this centurys worst U.S. natural disasters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2018 10:32 AM, arlen michael holder wrote:
On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 07:12:54 +0000, Bod wrote:

Why is it being called a "camp fire"?

Published about ten minutes ago...
A Deadly Tsumani of Fire
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...trophe/576130/

Subtitled:
The Camp Fire now ranks among this centurys worst U.S. natural disasters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peshtigo_Fire

**** happens. Like the Wiki article states Peshtigo was upstaged by the
Chicago fire although there were only about 300 killed in Chicago. Parts
of Michigan burned the same summer with about 500 casualties.

Nobody was beating the global warming drum in 1871. This isn't to
downplay the Camp fire but **** does happen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 12:08:46 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 11/18/2018 10:32 AM, arlen michael holder wrote:
On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 07:12:54 +0000, Bod wrote:

Why is it being called a "camp fire"?

Published about ten minutes ago...
A Deadly Tsumani of Fire
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...trophe/576130/

Subtitled:
The Camp Fire now ranks among this century¢s worst U.S. natural disasters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peshtigo_Fire

**** happens. Like the Wiki article states Peshtigo was upstaged by the
Chicago fire although there were only about 300 killed in Chicago. Parts
of Michigan burned the same summer with about 500 casualties.

Nobody was beating the global warming drum in 1871. This isn't to
downplay the Camp fire but **** does happen.

There is a lot of mismanagement going on. For some reason the tree
huggers are against controlled burns so when they get a fire it
quickly becomes an uncontrollable burn.
Simply put, Smokey Bear was wrong.
Forest fires are part of the natural cycle and it is not nice to screw
with mother nature. The other part of it is a lot of people build
undefensible homes. They have combustible roofs and they do not
maintain enough clear space around them.
This is similar to the people who build houses on the beach and wonder
why they get washed away any time a named storm comes close.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2018 12:54 PM, wrote:
There is a lot of mismanagement going on. For some reason the tree
huggers are against controlled burns so when they get a fire it
quickly becomes an uncontrollable burn.
Simply put, Smokey Bear was wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Fire_of_1910
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward...Escape_Rout e

I was in Wallace last week and walked the trail up to the tunnel. I'd
been there before but it's a nice walk up the creek. The informational
signs along the trail say the Great Burn was the start of the 'let no
fire go unsuppressed' philosophy.

I was in Yellowstone in '88 when the decision was made to let the fires
burn if they weren't threatening structures. That was very
controversial. Since then that has been more common. The problem is when
the controlled burns get out of control. Last spring one of the burns
here got away from them. It didn't hurt anything but it wasn't what the
FS had in mind. One part of the perimeter stalled out when it hit an
area that had been burned in 2003.

Both the FS and the state stress defensible perimeters around houses
that are built in the woods. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Roaring
Lion creek burned a couple of years ago and many of the houses went. One
survived and it didn't appear to be any better or worse than the ones
that were lost. Just luck, I guess.

In the 2003 fire there was one house up a drainage that the fire
fighters foamed as they retreated but didn't expect it to survive. The
owner said they'd fully understood the dangers and if it was gone, it
was gone, Most aren't that philosophical. It survived. I don't think the
guy was particularly religious but we referred to it as the 'angel
house' because there were a lot of ceramic angels along the trail
perched on rocks or under trees that he had placed. Maybe they were
watching out.

Fast forward 15 years and now there are two new houses even further up
the canyon. Good luck to them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 13:27:16 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 11/18/2018 12:54 PM, wrote:
[...]

There is always a controversy about controlled burns here and we have
had a few get away but the better the regimen, the fewer uncontrolled
fires we have. The scrub park up the road from me has a pretty
aggressive burn program and the place is really the "scrub" it is
supposed to be (mix of slash pines, palmettos, live oaks and other
native plants and animals)
They are all evolved to deal with fires.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 18:31:44 -0700, rbowman wrote:

We've got a different mix, mostly doug fir and ponderosa pine forests.
The FS has been doing a lot of thinning around town to remove the
understory that can bridge up to a crown fire. They've been doing a good
job and the result is the park-like forest that it should be instead of
a pile of timber.

California fi What started as a tiny brush fire became the states
deadliest wildfire. Heres how
http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-camp-fire-tictoc-20181118-story.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2018 12:27 AM, arlen michael holder wrote:
California fi What started as a tiny brush fire became the states
deadliest wildfire. Heres how
http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-camp-fire-tictoc-20181118-story.html

"Paradise had been spared from the frequent wildfires of Butte County,
though one 10 years ago stopped at the edge of the old mining town. The
evacuation had been a disaster. Three of the four major roads out had
caught fire. Evacuees were trapped for three hours in gridlock, leaving
them defenseless if the fire had come.

A grand jury report and county fire plans said Paradise needed a way to
get everyone out quickly at once. Instead, Paradise leaders divided the
town into evacuation zones that could be emptied a few at a time."

Paradise isn't the only community that prefers to put their fingers in
their ears and say 'That will never happen again.' otoh I doubt the
county had any bright ideas on exactly how that could be done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/18 8:50 AM, rbowman wrote:
[...]

There's a commercial been running lately for some insurance company.
A guy is sitting in the middle of the street commenting that a 500 year
event should, in theory, happen every 500 years. Then he says something
about life not working that way.
Burning to death must be one of the worst ways to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2018 03:33 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
There's a commercial been running lately for some insurance company.
A guy is sitting in the middle of the street commenting that a 500 year
event should, in theory, happen every 500 years. Then he says something
about life not working that way.
Burning to death must be one of the worst ways to go.

I doubt surviving and being burnt over most of your body is a whole lot
better.

That is the problem I have with statistics and real life. You have a
very small chance of being killed by lightning but my brother in law won
that lottery. That would still be better than being roasted alive. The
old guy who jumped in the creek and died of hypothermia might be the
lucky one.