Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default California fires?

On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 11:36:17 AM UTC-5, Bod wrote:
On 17/11/2018 15:56, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 7:37:08 AM UTC-5, Bod wrote:
On 17/11/2018 12:30, Frank wrote:
On 11/17/2018 2:12 AM, Bod wrote:
Why is it being called a "camp fire"?

They name the fires for the location that they started.

Oh thanks, Frank.

--
Bod

That partially answers it. And in this case it's named that because
it started at Camp Creek Road. There was one a couple months ago
where on TV and radio they were calling it the "car fire". I wondered
what that was all about. In print it's the Carr fire, again the name
of the location it started.

Also thanks, trader.

--
Bod

I'm waiting to see what happens with the investigation into what started it.
Looks like good chance it was caused by a problem with the utility electric
lines. They were working on some kind of problem around the time it
started. Apparently a few others fires in recent years have been started
the same way. It will be interesting to see what went on, like there was
talk that there were wires sparking, so did they immediately call in the
fire dept, to ask for assistance, BEFORE it actually started?

I was thinking about Trump trying to blame forest management for the problem.
Instead of trying to point a finger, maybe the fed govt could take a look
at what can be done to prevent future tragedies? One thing that comes to
mind is, how many air tankers are available to fight these fires and how
fast can they respond, when are they called in, etc? I'm betting that
they don't call those resource in until the fire is already out of control
and then it probably takes quite some time for them to spin up and arrive.
How about federal help for a coordinated, multi-state system, where these
are on standby 24/7, ready to takeoff within mins and they are called upon
automatically whenever they know they have a potentially serious fire,
ie one that's in a dry, forest, ready to go up? Is there value in hitting
it very early, very quickly, with a lot of support, instead of later when
it's already out of control?