Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default California fires?

On 11/18/2018 04:24 PM, wrote:
There is always a controversy about controlled burns here and we have
had a few get away but the better the regimen, the fewer uncontrolled
fires we have. The scrub park up the road from me has a pretty
aggressive burn program and the place is really the "scrub" it is
supposed to be (mix of slash pines, palmettos, live oaks and other
native plants and animals)
They are all evolved to deal with fires.

We've got a different mix, mostly doug fir and ponderosa pine forests.
The FS has been doing a lot of thinning around town to remove the
understory that can bridge up to a crown fire. They've been doing a good
job and the result is the park-like forest that it should be instead of
a pile of timber.

Trump took the usual crap when he said Finland 'rakes' their forests.
Bad choice of words but the right idea. The ranger station I was at had
a German forestry student who was doing a work exchange program in the
US. I don't know if appalled is the right word but in Germany a forester
might have a thousand acres under his control and just about knows the
trees by name, not a hundred thousand acres that nobody sets an eye on
unless they're cruising it for a sale.