Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Powder actuated tools and humidity

Â* Grrr , I was just down in the cellar trying to shoot some 2x2's to
the block wall , and it just ain't happening . I'm using a Hilti gun ,
uses strip shot in ,27 caliber . 2.5" pins thru the wood and into the
block . I'm wondering if being stored for a few months in the cellar
when I was having moisture problems has affected the cartridges , when
they were first bought they'd sink that pin partway into the wood . Now
3 shots in succession don't even set it flush . It makes no difference
whether I'm shooting into the mortar joint or the block itself .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/16/2018 12:12 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* Grrr , I was just down in the cellar trying to shoot some 2x2's to
the block wall , and it just ain't happening . I'm using a Hilti gun ,
uses strip shot in ,27 caliber . 2.5" pins thru the wood and into the
block . I'm wondering if being stored for a few months in the cellar
when I was having moisture problems has affected the cartridges , when
they were first bought they'd sink that pin partway into the wood . Now
3 shots in succession don't even set it flush . It makes no difference
whether I'm shooting into the mortar joint or the block itself .

Sounds like altho I've never seen the issue -- but in SW KS finding any
humidity at any time is a task!

I've got Remington cartridges that are 20+ yr old with no problems; I
just shot a few a few weeks ago hanging some conduit that seemed same as
usual.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Aug 2018 12:12:15 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

* Grrr , I was just down in the cellar trying to shoot some 2x2's to
the block wall , and it just ain't happening . I'm using a Hilti gun ,
uses strip shot in ,27 caliber . 2.5" pins thru the wood and into the
block . I'm wondering if being stored for a few months in the cellar
when I was having moisture problems has affected the cartridges , when
they were first bought they'd sink that pin partway into the wood . Now
3 shots in succession don't even set it flush . It makes no difference
whether I'm shooting into the mortar joint or the block itself .

I'd say you are on target. If the Hilti functions (clean) and then
the pins do not bend; narrows it down to the ammo. Are you putting
downwards pressure on the gun?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Â* Grrr , I was just down in the cellar trying to shoot some 2x2's to
the block wall , and it just ain't happening . I'm using a Hilti gun ,
uses strip shot in ,27 caliber . 2.5" pins thru the wood and into the
block . I'm wondering if being stored for a few months in the cellar
when I was having moisture problems has affected the cartridges , when
they were first bought they'd sink that pin partway into the wood . Now
3 shots in succession don't even set it flush . It makes no difference
whether I'm shooting into the mortar joint or the block itself .

That is ammo and it needs to be stored in a cool dry place.
If nothing else, keep them in an ammo can.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Â* Grrr , I was just down in the cellar trying to shoot some 2x2's to
the block wall , and it just ain't happening . I'm using a Hilti gun ,
uses strip shot in ,27 caliber . 2.5" pins thru the wood and into the
block . I'm wondering if being stored for a few months in the cellar
when I was having moisture problems has affected the cartridges , when
they were first bought they'd sink that pin partway into the wood . Now
3 shots in succession don't even set it flush . It makes no difference
whether I'm shooting into the mortar joint or the block itself .

I'd say you are on target. If the Hilti functions (clean) and then
the pins do not bend; narrows it down to the ammo. Are you putting
downwards pressure on the gun?

Â* Yup , you have to press it firmly against the work to push the barrel
into position to shoot . Unless the barrel is pushed all the way flush
with the housing it won't fire .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

I own the type where you use a 3-4lb. sledge on the Hilti. My ammo is 20-25 years old and always works. I'm in humid NW, Oregon
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/16/2018 11:12 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Grrr , I was just down in the cellar trying to shoot some 2x2's to the
block wall , and it just ain't happening . I'm using a Hilti gun , uses
strip shot in ,27 caliber . 2.5" pins thru the wood and into the block .
I'm wondering if being stored for a few months in the cellar when I was
having moisture problems has affected the cartridges , when they were
first bought they'd sink that pin partway into the wood . Now 3 shots in
succession don't even set it flush . It makes no difference whether I'm
shooting into the mortar joint or the block itself .

Ain't you never heard anybody say 'keep you powder dry'?

iirc the Hilti cartridges just have a open crimp like a blank so there's
not any sealing, even an over powder wad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/16/2018 10:29 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 08/16/2018 11:12 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Grrr , I was just down in the cellar trying to shoot some 2x2's to the
block wall , and it just ain't happening . I'm using a Hilti gun , uses
strip shot in ,27 caliber . 2.5" pins thru the wood and into the block .
I'm wondering if being stored for a few months in the cellar when I was
having moisture problems has affected the cartridges , when they were
first bought they'd sink that pin partway into the wood . Now 3 shots in
succession don't even set it flush . It makes no difference whether I'm
shooting into the mortar joint or the block itself .

Ain't you never heard anybody say 'keep you powder dry'?

iirc the Hilti cartridges just have a open crimp like a blank so
there's not any sealing, even an over powder wad.

Â* These are Ram-set loads , and there is some kind of red sealant on
the crimped end . Apparently not too effective ... some of them seem
like there's no powder at all , some like half-strength . I've run
across exactly one that felt like a full charge when I fired it . I
never even considered the possibility that humidity could do this - I
got this thing used at a bargain price because it had been wet and was
gunked up with powder residue crud and rust . The loads with it were all
dead ... Once I got it cleaned up and some new loads , it was working
fine . I used it to pin the 2x8 door framing with no problems . Even
with a 10ga piece of mild steel as a washer it was blowin' them in flush
or below . I'll just have to get more - and be sure they're sealed up in
a Ziploc or something .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/17/2018 07:46 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Once I got it cleaned up and some new loads , it was working fine . I
used it to pin the 2x8 door framing with no problems . Even with a 10ga
piece of mild steel as a washer it was blowin' them in flush or below .
I'll just have to get more - and be sure they're sealed up in a Ziploc
or something .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDpvkwBBu6U

Can't beat a Hilti.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Aug 2018 08:03:14 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 08/17/2018 07:46 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Once I got it cleaned up and some new loads , it was working fine . I
used it to pin the 2x8 door framing with no problems . Even with a 10ga
piece of mild steel as a washer it was blowin' them in flush or below .
I'll just have to get more - and be sure they're sealed up in a Ziploc
or something .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDpvkwBBu6U

Can't beat a Hilti.

How many here know this is a female, a villain in Baltimore. "Snoop"

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 08/17/2018 07:46 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Once I got it cleaned up and some new loads , it was working fine . I
used it to pin the 2x8 door framing with no problems . Even with a 10ga
piece of mild steel as a washer it was blowin' them in flush or below .
I'll just have to get more - and be sure they're sealed up in a Ziploc
or something .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDpvkwBBu6U

Can't beat a Hilti.

How many here know this is a female, a villain in Baltimore. "Snoop"

Okay, I'll admit it took me several episodes of 'The Wire' to figure out
what it was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felicia_Pearson

Now there's honesty in casting...