Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Powder actuated tools and humidity

On 8/16/2018 10:29 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 08/16/2018 11:12 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Grrr , I was just down in the cellar trying to shoot some 2x2's to the
block wall , and it just ain't happening . I'm using a Hilti gun , uses
strip shot in ,27 caliber . 2.5" pins thru the wood and into the block .
I'm wondering if being stored for a few months in the cellar when I was
having moisture problems has affected the cartridges , when they were
first bought they'd sink that pin partway into the wood . Now 3 shots in
succession don't even set it flush . It makes no difference whether I'm
shooting into the mortar joint or the block itself .

Ain't you never heard anybody say 'keep you powder dry'?

iirc the Hilti cartridges just have a open crimp like a blank so
there's not any sealing, even an over powder wad.

Â* These are Ram-set loads , and there is some kind of red sealant on
the crimped end . Apparently not too effective ... some of them seem
like there's no powder at all , some like half-strength . I've run
across exactly one that felt like a full charge when I fired it . I
never even considered the possibility that humidity could do this - I
got this thing used at a bargain price because it had been wet and was
gunked up with powder residue crud and rust . The loads with it were all
dead ... Once I got it cleaned up and some new loads , it was working
fine . I used it to pin the 2x8 door framing with no problems . Even
with a 10ga piece of mild steel as a washer it was blowin' them in flush
or below . I'll just have to get more - and be sure they're sealed up in
a Ziploc or something .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old