Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Disposing of powder actuated fastening tool charges

From those who are familiar with these tools, any advice on how to
dispose of unused charges safely? A contractor left some behind where
I live, and I'm not sure what to do with them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jonathan Sachs" wrote in message
From those who are familiar with these tools, any advice on how to
dispose of unused charges safely? A contractor left some behind where
I live, and I'm not sure what to do with them.

1) Call the contractor and tell him to come get the stuff.

2) Call the fire department, a route often taken by people who need to
dispose of ammunition, but don't know another shooter who can use it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jonathan Sachs wrote:
From those who are familiar with these tools, any advice on how to
dispose of unused charges safely? A contractor left some behind where
I live, and I'm not sure what to do with them.

Put them in the trash.

Or sit on the back stoop and whack 'em with a hammer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

throw them in the trash.

"Jonathan Sachs" wrote in message
From those who are familiar with these tools, any advice on how to
dispose of unused charges safely? A contractor left some behind where
I live, and I'm not sure what to do with them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

soak them in oil , the oil will render the powder inside them inert ,
then throw them away .

Jonathan Sachs wrote:
From those who are familiar with these tools, any advice on how to1dispose of

unused charges safely? A contractor left some behind where0I live, and I'm
not sure what to do with them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Freon Cowboy wrote:
soak them in oil , the oil will render the powder inside them inert ,
then throw them away .

Primers wet with water or oil will not ignite but if dried out will
recover. I would probably put them in a sealed jar with cooking oil or
some other waste oil and put in trash.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Jonathan Sachs wrote:
From those who are familiar with these tools, any advice on how to
dispose of unused charges safely? A contractor left some behind where
I live, and I'm not sure what to do with them.

If you live anywhere near Indianapolis, I'll be happy to take them off your
hands. Real email address is in the sig line below.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 15:30:43 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

1) Call the contractor and tell him to come get the stuff.

2) Call the fire department, a route often taken by people who need to
dispose of ammunition, but don't know another shooter who can use it.

Thank you, I'll call my local fire department and see if they do this.

Calling the contractor won't work, because I don't even have his phone
number. I rent, and he did the work for the property management
company. I have spoken to my contact there, but she told me to just
throw the things away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
1) Call the contractor and tell him to come get the stuff.

2) Call the fire department, a route often taken by people who need to
dispose of ammunition, but don't know another shooter who can use it.

Thank you, I'll call my local fire department and see if they do this.

Calling the contractor won't work, because I don't even have his phone
number. I rent, and he did the work for the property management
company. I have spoken to my contact there, but she told me to just
throw the things away.

And what exactly are you afraid of if you just throw them in the trash?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

1) Call the contractor and tell him to come get the stuff.

2) Call the fire department, a route often taken by people who need to
dispose of ammunition, but don't know another shooter who can use it.

Thank you, I'll call my local fire department and see if they do this.

Calling the contractor won't work, because I don't even have his phone
number. I rent, and he did the work for the property management
company. I have spoken to my contact there, but she told me to just
throw the things away.

Good idea. Most of the other suggestions on this subject came from pathetic
morons who'd be doing the world a favor if they poured gasoline over their
heads and lit a match.

Posted to alt.home.repair

not true , oil soaked powder actaully decomposes

Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
The Freon Cowboy wrote: soak them in oil , the oil will render the powder

inside them inert , then throw them away .n ePrimers wet with water or oil
will not ignite but if dried out will lrecover. I would probably put them in
a sealed jar with cooking oil or some other waste oil and put in trash.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Calling the contractor won't work, because I don't even have his phone
number. I rent, and he did the work for the property management
company. I have spoken to my contact there, but she told me to just
throw the things away.

Good idea. Most of the other suggestions on this subject came from
pathetic morons who'd be doing the world a favor if they poured gasoline
over their heads and lit a match.

Halloween is next week. Would them make a good treat for the kids?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 27, 11:11 am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Cook them off, in a campfire.

--

Christopher A. Young
.

Don't you know that that is dangerous? I laugh when I see people
get all panicky about loose ammo in a fire. Truth is that neither the
case nor the bullet will go anywhere significant or penetrate anythign
if they did. Of course that applies to the usual house type ammo,
military is a different thing as it tends to run to the big stuff.

In the case of those power charges, they are fairly low powered to
begin with.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
On Oct 27, 11:11 am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Cook them off, in a campfire.

--

Christopher A. Young
.

Don't you know that that is dangerous? I laugh when I see people
get all panicky about loose ammo in a fire. Truth is that neither the
case nor the bullet will go anywhere significant or penetrate anythign
if they did. Of course that applies to the usual house type ammo,
military is a different thing as it tends to run to the big stuff.

In the case of those power charges, they are fairly low powered to
begin with.

Harry K

Sympathetic detonation of primers sometime occurs if one goes off in a
tray full of primers. They are packaged in segmented trays because of
this. I suspect the nail drives only contain primer compound but
probably at a higher level than in normal primers. Myth Busters had a
show on what happens when guns or ammunition are stored in ovens. Neat
stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
Harry K wrote:
On Oct 27, 11:11 am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Cook them off, in a campfire.

--

Christopher A. Young
.

Don't you know that that is dangerous? I laugh when I see people
get all panicky about loose ammo in a fire. Truth is that neither the
case nor the bullet will go anywhere significant or penetrate anythign
if they did. Of course that applies to the usual house type ammo,
military is a different thing as it tends to run to the big stuff.

In the case of those power charges, they are fairly low powered to
begin with.

Harry K

Sympathetic detonation of primers sometime occurs if one goes off in a
tray full of primers. They are packaged in segmented trays because of
this. I suspect the nail drives only contain primer compound but
probably at a higher level than in normal primers. Myth Busters had a
show on what happens when guns or ammunition are stored in ovens. Neat
stuff.

The ones I have seen are rimfire and have powder and sealing compound in
the crimp area. I have disposed of old ones for an old tool that used a
weird caliber by tossing a few at a time into a burn barrel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message
Harry K wrote:
On Oct 27, 11:11 am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Cook them off, in a campfire.

--

Christopher A. Young
.

Don't you know that that is dangerous? I laugh when I see people
get all panicky about loose ammo in a fire. Truth is that neither the
case nor the bullet will go anywhere significant or penetrate anythign
if they did. Of course that applies to the usual house type ammo,
military is a different thing as it tends to run to the big stuff.

In the case of those power charges, they are fairly low powered to
begin with.

Harry K

Sympathetic detonation of primers sometime occurs if one goes off in a
tray full of primers. They are packaged in segmented trays because of
this. I suspect the nail drives only contain primer compound but probably
at a higher level than in normal primers. Myth Busters had a show on what
happens when guns or ammunition are stored in ovens. Neat stuff.

Damn. I wish I'd seen that. I've always wondered about storing my ammo in
the oven.

Sheesh.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 28, 9:05 am, Jonathan Sachs wrote:
On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 06:50:46 -0500, (The

Freon Cowboy) wrote:
not true , oil soaked powder actaully decomposes

That could be useful information in the future, but in this case, I'm
not confident that immersing the charges in oil would help. The open
ends of the casings are crimped and sealed with some rubbery compound.
They may well be water (and oil) proof. If I were manufacturing the
things, I would certainly make them so if I could.

That's my thought also. Imersing might work after several months but
water would seep in faster than oil, still very slowly though...

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
On Oct 27, 11:11 am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Cook them off, in a campfire.

--

Christopher A. Young
.

[...]

Sheesh.......- Hide quoted text -

I saw it but can't recall any details of the results. I would suspect
very minor damage unless they were using big, big rounds.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Sympathetic detonation of primers sometime occurs if one goes off in a
tray full of primers. They are packaged in segmented trays because of
this. I suspect the nail drives only contain primer compound but probably
at a higher level than in normal primers. Myth Busters had a show on what
happens when guns or ammunition are stored in ovens. Neat stuff.

Damn. I wish I'd seen that. I've always wondered about storing my ammo in
the oven.

Sheesh.......

I think the scenario was something like you are a valued member of the
community and are a drug dealer for example and don't use the oven so
you decide to store guns and ammo there for quick access. Someone then
turns the oven on without knowing about the contents.