Vortex

Default Fastening hardwood flooring (nailing tool advice)

Hi,

In the next few weeks I need to lay about 20m^2 of 3/4" hard maple T&G
floorboards.

All was well and good until I (for the first time ever) was diagnosed as
having "Tennis Elbow" a couple of weeks ago.

I had envisaged fastening the flooring with a rented tool like this:

http://www.topgun.co.uk/template_gun...roducts_id/335

But now it seems I have the perfect excuse to purchase a powered nailer.
(YES!)

Can anyone recommend a nailer (brand/model) suited to this application? I
know I need to use 50mm nails at a 45 degree ish angle. The numerous types
of nailgun available are completely confusing. I had no idea there was such
a variety.

I'm inclined towards a generic pneumatic "framing nailer" (I have a
compressor).

Am I thinking along the right lines?

David

Andy Hall

On Tue, 25 May 2004 19:24:40 +0100, "Vortex"
wrote:

[...]

I don't think so. II have a number of nailers ranging from a small
23gauge pin nailer, through 15,16 and 18gauge types and a Senco
framing nailer.

The framing nailer is too big for flooring. I have driven 50mm
stainless steel nails with mine for roofing but the nails are around
3mm diameter. That's really about the smallest and generally the
nails are full round head as well.

The specific flooring nailers are specially designed to locate and
angle correctly.

Possibly a 15gauge nailer would be OK - something like a Porter Cable
DA250B. I have one of those and used it for nailing down pine
boards in my cabin without problems. It does take a bit of
practice to hit the right place on the board for the secret nailing
though.

You mentioned Top Gun in your post. I've bought quite a bit of
stuff from them - mainly nails which they will source if they don't
have - and found that they give good advice. I would get an opinion
from them.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Vortex

You mentioned Top Gun in your post. I've bought quite a bit of
stuff from them - mainly nails which they will source if they don't
have - and found that they give good advice. I would get an opinion
from them.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Thanks Andy,

I talked to Topgun and they were absolutely adamant that the ONLY tool for
the job is a "portanailer" like the
http://www.topgun.co.uk/template_gun...roducts_id/335 I
originally identified.

These are available in a pneumatic version, but no hire shop around here has
one.....

I reckon the purchase of a
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...10088&ts=94858 could be on
the agenda.

David

Andy Hall

On Wed, 26 May 2004 19:09:05 +0100, "Vortex"
wrote:

You mentioned Top Gun in your post. I've bought quite a bit of
stuff from them - mainly nails which they will source if they don't
have - and found that they give good advice. I would get an opinion
from them.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Thanks Andy,

I talked to Topgun and they were absolutely adamant that the ONLY tool for
the job is a "portanailer" like the
http://www.topgun.co.uk/template_gun...roducts_id/335 I
originally identified.

I had a feeling that they might. When I had an oak floor laid, this
is what the guy used. I was OK using the air nailer for the
softwood floor in the cabin because I was not too concerned if there
was the occasional ding, although in the event there weren't any.

I think that for a hardwood floor it is worth getting the right tool.

These are available in a pneumatic version, but no hire shop around here has
one.....

I reckon the purchase of a
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...10088&ts=94858 could be on
the agenda.

I wonder if you could find one on Ebay. If you didn't want it
afterwards then you could sell it on there....

Overall you'd still be saving money as compared with getting somebody
in.

David

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
golfs

I installed hardwood flooring and the only tool that can push and nail at
the same time is the portanailer
i rented mine for long weekend, next time i will buy one.

BS

Michael Mcneil

"Vortex" wrote in message

I had envisaged fastening the flooring with a rented tool like this:

http://www.topgun.co.uk/template_gun...roducts_id/335

But now it seems I have the perfect excuse to purchase a powered nailer.
(YES!)

Am I thinking along the right lines?

You were going to hire the non gun which costs as much as a gun and now
you are going to buy a gun?

What lines are you think along?

Laying Hardwood Flooring J. UK diy 4 January 26th 04 04:46 PM
Laminate flooring - recommendations for good sites / advice ? Andy Dingley UK diy 2 January 18th 04 12:09 PM
Laminate flooring advice Mark Ayliffe UK diy 3 July 27th 03 05:45 PM