Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do they make paint stirrers for 5 gallon buckets?

Do they make paint stirrers for 5 gallon buckets?

I only see short ones that attach to a drill, and are made to mix gallon
cans of paint. I have several 5 gallon buckets of a roofing sealer that
have been sitting for years and settled. It's a tar-like material, and
rather thick. Stirring by hand seems near impossible. I just need a long
enough stirrer to put in my drill. I have a powerful industrial plug in
drill that should handle the job, if I can find an appropriate stirrer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 13 Jun 2018 01:08:25 -0500,
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 01:35:17 -0400,
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 00:07:15 -0500,
wrote:

Do they make paint stirrers for 5 gallon buckets?

I only see short ones that attach to a drill, and are made to mix gallon
cans of paint. I have several 5 gallon buckets of a roofing sealer that
have been sitting for years and settled. It's a tar-like material, and
rather thick. Stirring by hand seems near impossible. I just need a long
enough stirrer to put in my drill. I have a powerful industrial plug in
drill that should handle the job, if I can find an appropriate stirrer.

They certainly make them. Just be sure you get a paint stirrer not a
mortar mixer.
https://tinyurl.com/ycqdo92t

Great. I guess the local small hardware stores just dont have them...
Thanks!

The stirrer may be bigger but it's still meant for paint (and a
"variety" of other materials)

Just a guess..... Using a mortar mixer would spray the stuff all over
the place, Right? (we dont want that.... ).

You don't? What a fuddy duddy!

I have no experience with this, but would warming the buckets 20 or 30
degrees make it easier to stir? Would waiting until a hot day about
90^ and warming them 20 or 30 about that help? I have no experience
with warming either, but maybe putting them outside in the sun under a
black plastic sheet?

After that, would putting them upside down in the back of a pickup and
driving across a bumpy dirt road help?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 1:39:58 AM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 12:35:14 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 00:07:15 -0500, wrote:

Do they make paint stirrers for 5 gallon buckets?

I only see short ones that attach to a drill, and are made to mix gallon
cans of paint. I have several 5 gallon buckets of a roofing sealer that
have been sitting for years and settled. It's a tar-like material, and
rather thick. Stirring by hand seems near impossible. I just need a long
enough stirrer to put in my drill. I have a powerful industrial plug in
drill that should handle the job, if I can find an appropriate stirrer.

They certainly make them. Just be sure you get a paint stirrer not a
mortar mixer.
https://tinyurl.com/ycqdo92t

A 1/2 inch heavy duty drill might be a good idea to use with the stirrer. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Grind Monster

They work fine with a 3/8" drill, variable speed is essential though.
It doesn't take much power to mix compared to drilling holes in steel.
I used one recently to mix up old driveway coating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I mixed up some old driveway coating last year using a paint stirrer
and drill. Very easy, no need to do anything special. The bad news
is that this stuff that was about 8 years old did not adhere well,
less than a year later it's rapidly wearing off. My experience with
paint is that age like that didn't matter. But maybe with driveway
coating it does.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do they make paint stirrers for 5 gallon buckets?

I only see short ones that attach to a drill, and are made to mix gallon
cans of paint. I have several 5 gallon buckets of a roofing sealer that
have been sitting for years and settled. It's a tar-like material, and
rather thick. Stirring by hand seems near impossible. I just need a long
enough stirrer to put in my drill. I have a powerful industrial plug in
drill that should handle the job, if I can find an appropriate stirrer.

They certainly make them. Just be sure you get a paint stirrer not a
mortar mixer.
https://tinyurl.com/ycqdo92t

Bud, given that you're attempting to "rejuvenate" roofing sealer that's
"tar-like" I would opt for the wall board mixer shown on that same HD
page that gfretwell posted.

That mixer for 5 gallon paint is plastic and will probably spread piece
of plastic in the compound as soon as you turn it on. The wall board
mixer, I have one, is cast aluminum and might be up to the task.

As others have said, a variable speed ½" drill is mandatory as would be
a side grip to help fight the torque you'll experience until that stuff
begins to thin out to a usable consistency.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/13/2018 7:46 AM, micky wrote:

After that, would putting them upside down in the back of a pickup and
driving across a bumpy dirt road help?

Not sure about paint, but I had a girlfriend that would get all wet when
I did that with her.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

All the 5 gal paint mixers I've ever seen are metal, they are readily
available. IDK what one you're looking at, the HD one that was posted
here is steel.

As others have said, a variable speed ½" drill is mandatory as would be
a side grip to help fight the torque you'll experience until that stuff
begins to thin out to a usable consistency.

IDK how thick his roof sealer is, but I mixed up old driveway sealer
very easily with just a 3/8 variable speed drill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My Bad! When I opened the web page, the metal one was below the line
and I just looked at the lineup along the top of that page. I was
referring to that $5 something Warner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

On 6/13/2018 7:46 AM, micky wrote:

After that, would putting them upside down in the back of a pickup and
driving across a bumpy dirt road help?

Not sure about paint, but I had a girlfriend that would get all wet when
I did that with her.

Come to PA and any road will suffice, lots of potholes. Join the Mile A'
Minute club...

--
Tekkie