Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Joining 5-gallon buckets?

Hi, I need to join two 5-gallon buckets by their open ends.

Does anyone know of a clamping ring with over-center toggle clamp that would hold them together? I need to be able to part them easily for emptying the bottom bucket.

The buckets have a lip about 1/4" deep to the outer surface and 1/4" thick. Seems like a ring of 1/2' U-shaped stuff and a clamp would do it.

Thought I'd get the collective wisdom of you guys first before reinventing a wheel.

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 5 May 2018 10:55:44 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

Hi, I need to join two 5-gallon buckets by their open ends.

Does anyone know of a clamping ring with over-center toggle clamp that would hold them together? I need to be able to part them easily for emptying the bottom bucket.

The buckets have a lip about 1/4" deep to the outer surface and 1/4" thick. Seems like a ring of 1/2' U-shaped stuff and a clamp would do it.

Thought I'd get the collective wisdom of you guys first before reinventing a wheel.

Thanks

Try this. They're for clamping lids, but many a little hammer work
will make it fit:

https://tinyurl.com/y7zy3jwj

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hi, I need to join two 5-gallon buckets by their open ends.

Does anyone know of a clamping ring with over-center toggle clamp

that would hold them together? I need to be able to part them easily for
emptying the bottom bucket.

The buckets have a lip about 1/4" deep to the outer surface and 1/4"

thick. Seems like a ring of 1/2' U-shaped stuff and a clamp would do it.

Thought I'd get the collective wisdom of you guys first before

reinventing a wheel.

Thanks

Try this. They're for clamping lids, but many a little hammer work
will make it fit:

https://tinyurl.com/y7zy3jwj

I was thinking of just such a gizmo. I have a metal bucket here in the
shop that uses a ring like that to hold the lid on.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave, I can't do that" wrote:

Hi, I need to join two 5-gallon buckets by their open ends.

Does anyone know of a clamping ring with over-center toggle clamp that would hold them together? I need to be able to part them easily for emptying the bottom bucket.

The buckets have a lip about 1/4" deep to the outer surface and 1/4" thick. Seems like a ring of 1/2' U-shaped stuff and a clamp would do it.

Thought I'd get the collective wisdom of you guys first before reinventing a wheel.

Thanks

Not knowing the application, vibration, leakage requirements...

Hook a long bungee cord in the bottom buckets bail holders and stretch
over the top bucket...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Try this. They're for clamping lids, but many a little hammer work
will make it fit:

https://tinyurl.com/y7zy3jwj

Thanks Ed, exactly what I was hoping to find.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave, I can't do that" wrote in message
Hi, I need to join two 5-gallon buckets by their open ends.

Does anyone know of a clamping ring with over-center toggle clamp
that would hold them together? I need to be able to part them easily
for emptying the bottom bucket.

The buckets have a lip about 1/4" deep to the outer surface and 1/4"
thick. Seems like a ring of 1/2' U-shaped stuff and a clamp would do
it.

Thought I'd get the collective wisdom of you guys first before
reinventing a wheel.

Thanks

Fasten two snap-on lids together and cut out the center.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave, I can't do that" wrote:

Hi, I need to join two 5-gallon buckets by their open ends.

Does anyone know of a clamping ring with over-center toggle clamp that would hold them together? I need to be able to part them easily for emptying the bottom bucket.

The buckets have a lip about 1/4" deep to the outer surface and 1/4" thick. Seems like a ring of 1/2' U-shaped stuff and a clamp would do it.

Thought I'd get the collective wisdom of you guys first before reinventing a wheel.

Thanks

Not knowing the application, vibration, leakage requirements...

Hook a long bungee cord in the bottom buckets bail holders and stretch
over the top bucket...

Metal or plastic bucket?