Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Depot 5-Gallon Buckets: Standards?

After buying a few after-market bucket covers, it's dawned on me that
Home Depot's 5-gallon buckets (the orange ones with their logo...)
measure something like 1/8" wider at the rim than do Lowes' and Tractor
Supply's.

Is there a backstory here?
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
After buying a few after-market bucket covers, it's dawned on me that
Home Depot's 5-gallon buckets (the orange ones with their logo...)
measure something like 1/8" wider at the rim than do Lowes' and Tractor
Supply's.

Is there a backstory here?

You get more for your money at Home Despot?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
After buying a few after-market bucket covers, it's dawned on me that
Home Depot's 5-gallon buckets (the orange ones with their logo...)
measure something like 1/8" wider at the rim than do Lowes' and Tractor
Supply's.

Is there a backstory here?

Simple answer: Different manufacturing sources.

Do a Google Image search for 5 gallon buckets. There are all sorts of
different configurations. 3 ribs, 4 ribs, wide ribs, narrow ribs, etc. I
wouldn't be surprise if the lids you bought will fit some buckets but not
all.

Oh look...the Lowes 16 oz hammer doesn't look anything like the Home Depot
16 oz hammer. Guess why? ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/13/2014 10:45 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
After buying a few after-market bucket covers, it's dawned on me that
Home Depot's 5-gallon buckets (the orange ones with their logo...)
measure something like 1/8" wider at the rim than do Lowes' and Tractor
Supply's.

Is there a backstory here?

Different suppliers, different tooling to make them. I get a half dozen
products in 5 gallon containers and they are all different. Some snap
on, some twist on, some sturdier. Would not surprise me if they varied
east coast versus west coast if they are made in different plants.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 14:00:09 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 6/13/2014 10:45 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
After buying a few after-market bucket covers, it's dawned on me that
Home Depot's 5-gallon buckets (the orange ones with their logo...)
measure something like 1/8" wider at the rim than do Lowes' and Tractor
Supply's.

Is there a backstory here?

Different suppliers, different tooling to make them. I get a half dozen
products in 5 gallon containers and they are all different. Some snap
on, some twist on, some sturdier. Would not surprise me if they varied
east coast versus west coast if they are made in different plants.

I have a few buckets that I'd not be surprised is they are not ~ 7
gallon size (pool chlorine tabs).

Even have some 5 gallon buckets that are blue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

(PeteCresswell) posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

After buying a few after-market bucket covers, it's dawned on me that
Home Depot's 5-gallon buckets (the orange ones with their logo...)
measure something like 1/8" wider at the rim than do Lowes' and Tractor
Supply's.

Is there a backstory here?

When I was a kid we had a water heater that was called a bucket a day. It
had no lid just a hatch to throw the coal in. Dad had to go down in the
basement at least once a day and never wanted to go anywhere so the fire
wouldn't go out.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On 6/13/2014 10:45 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
After buying a few after-market bucket covers, it's dawned on me that
Home Depot's 5-gallon buckets (the orange ones with their logo...)
measure something like 1/8" wider at the rim than do Lowes' and Tractor
Supply's.

Is there a backstory here?

Different suppliers, different tooling to make them. I get a half dozen
products in 5 gallon containers and they are all different. Some snap
on, some twist on, some sturdier. Would not surprise me if they varied
east coast versus west coast if they are made in different plants.

Do the West coast ones have racing stripes and the East coat have American
flags on them?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie® wrote:
(PeteCresswell) posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

After buying a few after-market bucket covers, it's dawned on me that
Home Depot's 5-gallon buckets (the orange ones with their logo...)
measure something like 1/8" wider at the rim than do Lowes' and Tractor
Supply's.

Is there a backstory here?

When I was a kid we had a water heater that was called a bucket a day. It
had no lid just a hatch to throw the coal in. Dad had to go down in the
basement at least once a day and never wanted to go anywhere so the fire
wouldn't go out.

I had some friends that bought an old farmhouse that had a coal burning
stove in the dining area of the great room. Similar to your Dad, they also
became slaves to the stove, having to feed it 3 times a day. They fed it
when they got up, when they got home form work and before they went to bed.
If they didn't, it was a bear to get started again.

Funny story about their first winter with that stove...

The living room area of the great room had a huge fireplace. We were over
their house for their first Christmas party and they started a roaring
blaze in the fireplace. As the evening went on, the house was getting
colder and colder. The owner checked the temperature of the coal stove and
noticed it was going down. In an attempt to determine the problem, he
opened the door to the coal stove. He, the entire dining area and the
couple of friends that were standing nearby were immediately covered with
coal dust. It was a huge mess.

As it turns out, the roaring fire in the fireplace was pulling air down the
chimney of the coal stove, cooling it down. As soon as the owner opened the
door to the stove the rush of air blew coal dust across the room, covering
everything in its path.

Some of us were laughing so hard we were crying. Those directly involved,
well, not so much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Depot 5-Gallon Buckets: Standards? Heating lore

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Tekkie® wrote:
[...]

I can imagine so. My parents house was so leaky there was no problem with
makeup air.

The house heating boiler had a device controlled by the "thermostat"
affectionately called a "hootie" that would control the draft air.

My Mom used to rag on him for many things and this apparatus was one of
them. Eventually IIRC a neighbor with knowledge and LOW prices installed a
"modern" oil fired boiler with instantaneous coil. The piping was all black
threaded. He did a nice job! Kept them warm in their later years, probably
over-sized by at least 2X. If they got a chill up the thermostat goes. Then
the other would sneak over and turn it down. I guess this was the early
version of a setback thermostat.

--
Tekkie