Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Do they make paint stirrers for 5 gallon buckets?

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 7:46:45 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 13 Jun 2018 01:08:25 -0500,
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 01:35:17 -0400,
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 00:07:15 -0500,
wrote:

Do they make paint stirrers for 5 gallon buckets?

I only see short ones that attach to a drill, and are made to mix gallon
cans of paint. I have several 5 gallon buckets of a roofing sealer that
have been sitting for years and settled. It's a tar-like material, and
rather thick. Stirring by hand seems near impossible. I just need a long
enough stirrer to put in my drill. I have a powerful industrial plug in
drill that should handle the job, if I can find an appropriate stirrer.

They certainly make them. Just be sure you get a paint stirrer not a
mortar mixer.
https://tinyurl.com/ycqdo92t

Great. I guess the local small hardware stores just dont have them...
Thanks!

The stirrer may be bigger but it's still meant for paint (and a
"variety" of other materials)

Just a guess..... Using a mortar mixer would spray the stuff all over
the place, Right? (we dont want that.... ).

You don't? What a fuddy duddy!

I have no experience with this, but would warming the buckets 20 or 30
degrees make it easier to stir? Would waiting until a hot day about
90^ and warming them 20 or 30 about that help? I have no experience
with warming either, but maybe putting them outside in the sun under a
black plastic sheet?

After that, would putting them upside down in the back of a pickup and
driving across a bumpy dirt road help?

I mixed up some old driveway coating last year using a paint stirrer
and drill. Very easy, no need to do anything special. The bad news
is that this stuff that was about 8 years old did not adhere well,
less than a year later it's rapidly wearing off. My experience with
paint is that age like that didn't matter. But maybe with driveway
coating it does.