Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vinyl windows in brick veneer

So where should vinyl window drain holes be relative to the brick sill?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 12:17:56 -0800 (PST), Davej
wrote:

So where should vinyl window drain holes be relative to the brick sill?

Um let me think ... tap ...tap ...tap!

If the window is installed correctly, the weep holes are on the bottom
of the window.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So where should vinyl window drain holes be relative to the brick sill?

Um let me think ... tap ...tap ...tap!

If the window is installed correctly, the weep holes are on the bottom
of the window.

And they drip ONTO the sill (which slopes away from the window) - NOT
behindthe sill -for what wouldappear to be VERY obvious reasons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/12/2018 03:17 PM, Davej wrote:
So where should vinyl window drain holes be relative to the brick sill?

It depends.Â* Do you want to collect condensation or drain it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2018 3:17 PM, Davej wrote:
So where should vinyl window drain holes be relative to the brick sill?

If you are north of the equator, you'll prolly want the "drain" holes on the bottom.Â* South of the equator, the sills and windows are reversed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 12:17:56 -0800 (PST), Davej galt_57@...
wrote:

So where should vinyl window drain holes be relative to the brick sill?

Um let me think ... tap ...tap ...tap!

If the window is installed correctly, the weep holes are on the bottom
of the window.

And they drip ONTO the sill (which slopes away from the window) - NOT
behindthe sill -for what wouldappear to be VERY obvious reasons.

To clarify what I am asking -- here is a photo...

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=35a9...9#.WoIiTnxG3IU
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So where should vinyl window drain holes be relative to the brick sill?

Um let me think ... tap ...tap ...tap!

If the window is installed correctly, the weep holes are on the bottom
of the window.

And they drip ONTO the sill (which slopes away from the window) - NOT
behindthe sill -for what wouldappear to be VERY obvious reasons.

To clarify what I am asking -- here is a photo...

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=35a9...9#.WoIiTnxG3IU

Please post a stand-back wider photo view for some perspective. I see
the "drain" but need more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So where should vinyl window drain holes be relative to the brick sill?

Um let me think ... tap ...tap ...tap!

If the window is installed correctly, the weep holes are on the bottom
of the window.

And they drip ONTO the sill (which slopes away from the window) - NOT
behindthe sill -for what wouldappear to be VERY obvious reasons.

To clarify what I am asking -- here is a photo...

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=35a9...9#.WoIiTnxG3IU

Not bad but I DETEST brick sills - and it should be caulked
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 6:00:30 PM UTC-6, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 12 Feb 2018, Davej galt_57@... wrote:
On Monday, February 12, 2018, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Mon, 12 Feb 2018, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 12 Feb 2018, Davej galt_57@... wrote:

So where should vinyl window drain holes be relative to the brick sill?

Um let me think ... tap ...tap ...tap!

If the window is installed correctly, the weep holes are on the bottom
of the window.
And they drip ONTO the sill (which slopes away from the window) - NOT
behind the sill -for what would appear to be VERY obvious reasons.

To clarify what I am asking -- here is a photo...

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=35a9...9#.WoIiTnxG3IU

Please post a stand-back wider photo view for some perspective. I see
the "drain" but need more.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=flyt6x&s=9#.WoNBunxG3IU

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2cyo...9#.WoNCK3xG3IU

My feeling is that these windows were not installed correctly. My
feeling is that there should be room for a bead of caulk between
the bottom of the vinyl window and the brick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018, Oren wrote:
[...]

I'm wondering if the weep holes may be clogged. Ordinarily,
replacement vinyl window are caulked with some beads of silicone
before the window is set in the RO. Yes, some window installers are
paid by piece work. A sign of no quality in 'attention to detail'. Fly
by night crooks.

As to caulking the outside bottom, clean out along the bottom, cut the
tip small on a caulk tube and run a small bead along the outside
bottom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018, Oren wrote:
[...]

These were the original windows in the house, and the installers
apparently used mortar around them rather than caulk. I will
certainly do my best to add caulk, but there is very little room
for caulk, especially around the window drains. Also I do not
know if there is water damage inside the wall since the brick
veneer lacks weep holes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018, Oren wrote:
[...]

I'm getting confused. The windows have weep holes to drain. Why does
the brick veneer have to have one. The window drips onto the sill and
away or evaporates in little time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018, Oren wrote:
[...]

I'm saying that the bottom of the brick wall has no weep holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7y99hHKmPk
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 15:16:39 -0800 (PST), Davej
wrote:

I'm saying that the bottom of the brick wall has no weep holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7y99hHKmPk

I wouldn't have weep holes in the brick, not on my watch.

The window weep holes serve the same purpose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 5:32:02 PM UTC-6, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 13 Feb 2018, Davej galt_57@... wrote:

I'm saying that the bottom of the brick wall has no weep holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7y99hHKmPk

I wouldn't have weep holes in the brick, not on my watch.

The window weep holes serve the same purpose.

No, weep holes at the base of brick veneer construction are
intended to compensate for the fact that brick is a very porous
material. Vinyl window weep holes just release the water that
gets inside the vinyl window itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 15:16:39 -0800 (PST), Davej wrote:

On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 4:08:02 PM UTC-6, Oren wrote:

I'm getting confused. The windows have weep holes to drain. Why does
the brick veneer have to have one. The window drips onto the sill and
away or evaporates in little time.

I'm saying that the bottom of the brick wall has no weep holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7y99hHKmPk

Don't be mislead by YT videos. Brick walls don't need "weep holes."
I've had 2 brick homes and never had a "weep hole" in the brick.
I tuck pointed both of them and would have filled any "weep hole" with mortar if I had
seen one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 20:00:32 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 15:16:39 -0800 (PST), Davej wrote:

On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 4:08:02 PM UTC-6, Oren wrote:

I'm getting confused. The windows have weep holes to drain. Why does
the brick veneer have to have one. The window drips onto the sill and
away or evaporates in little time.

I'm saying that the bottom of the brick wall has no weep holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7y99hHKmPk

Don't be mislead by YT videos. Brick walls don't need "weep holes."
I've had 2 brick homes and never had a "weep hole" in the brick.
I tuck pointed both of them and would have filled any "weep hole" with mortar if I had
seen one.

Brick or Stucco - the weep holes have always been in the widow, not in
a wall. A weep hole in brick could freeze and dislodge the brick or
veneer. No?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm saying that the bottom of the brick wall has no weep holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7y99hHKmPk

I wouldn't have weep holes in the brick, not on my watch.

The window weep holes serve the same purpose.

Brick walls MUST have weep holes. Brick walls are NOT 100%
waterproof, which is why a housewrap is used and there is a smallgap
between the brick veneer and the sheathing to allow drainage.

If somebody built that house without weep holes they shoiuld be shot.
Ditto for using bricks for the sill.
Both arer EXTREMELY poor practice
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 15:16:39 -0800 (PST), Davej wrote:

On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 4:08:02 PM UTC-6, Oren wrote:

I'm getting confused. The windows have weep holes to drain. Why does
the brick veneer have to have one. The window drips onto the sill and
away or evaporates in little time.

I'm saying that the bottom of the brick wall has no weep holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7y99hHKmPk

Don't be mislead by YT videos. Brick walls don't need "weep holes."
I've had 2 brick homes and never had a "weep hole" in the brick.
I tuck pointed both of them and would have filled any "weep hole" with mortar if I had
seen one.

There is no cure for stupidity.

see
https://www.todayshomeowner.com/vide...n-brick-walls/

and
https://masonrysolutions.wordpress.c...o-i-need-them/

use something like this:
https://brickvent.net/product/weep-inserts/
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 15:16:39 -0800 (PST), Davej wrote:

On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 4:08:02 PM UTC-6, Oren wrote:

I'm getting confused. The windows have weep holes to drain. Why does
the brick veneer have to have one. The window drips onto the sill and
away or evaporates in little time.

I'm saying that the bottom of the brick wall has no weep holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7y99hHKmPk

Don't be mislead by YT videos. Brick walls don't need "weep holes."
I've had 2 brick homes and never had a "weep hole" in the brick.
I tuck pointed both of them and would have filled any "weep hole" with mortar if I had
seen one.

Brick or Stucco - the weep holes have always been in the widow, not in
a wall. A weep hole in brick could freeze and dislodge the brick or
veneer. No?

Thhe weep holes AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WALL are required by most
building codes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 15:16:39 -0800 (PST), Davej wrote:

On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 4:08:02 PM UTC-6, Oren wrote:

I'm getting confused. The windows have weep holes to drain. Why does
the brick veneer have to have one. The window drips onto the sill and
away or evaporates in little time.

I'm saying that the bottom of the brick wall has no weep holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7y99hHKmPk

Don't be mislead by YT videos. Brick walls don't need "weep holes."
I've had 2 brick homes and never had a "weep hole" in the brick.
I tuck pointed both of them and would have filled any "weep hole" with mortar if I had
seen one.

Brick or Stucco - the weep holes have always been in the widow, not in
a wall. A weep hole in brick could freeze and dislodge the brick or
veneer. No?

It'll crack off the edges of the brick. Happens if you don't tuck point too.
Water shouldn't find a resting place on a properly tuck pointed wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Both of my houses were brick. Load bearing. Neither had "weep holes."
Both were built pre-1960. Never had a moisture problem.
From a little googling, I see that weep holes are used on brick veneer.
Some of them. Apparently the OP is missing them on his house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

From a little googling, I see that weep holes are used on brick veneer.
Some of them. Apparently the OP is missing them on his house.

I suppose it may matter what brick veneer really means. In the house I
built in Maryland there was a layer of brick and a layer of 4" block
behind that. There were no weep holes. The house wrap (tar paper in
those days) went behind that. Then a layer of celotex on the 2x4 stud
wall inside that.
I suppose you might just have a layer of brick and then the framing
but I see that as dumb as the people who put stucco over plywood or
OSB. It is just asking for water problems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

From a little googling, I see that weep holes are used on brick veneer.
Some of them. Apparently the OP is missing them on his house.

I suppose it may matter what brick veneer really means. In the house I
built in Maryland there was a layer of brick and a layer of 4" block
behind that. There were no weep holes. The house wrap (tar paper in
those days) went behind that. Then a layer of celotex on the 2x4 stud
wall inside that.
I suppose you might just have a layer of brick and then the framing
but I see that as dumb as the people who put stucco over plywood or
OSB. It is just asking for water problems.

That's the way houses are built in Eastern Canadasince the '40s or
so. Stick framed, sheated with tentest, osb, or occaisionally
plywood, wrapped in hnouse-wrap, then bricked. A lot of Glass-clad
being used now as well. The stud bays are stuffed with insulation -
either batts or sprayed uerethane foam.

Starting to see ICF construction with "brick veneer"as well.
ALL with weeping holes - which are NOT required with brick directly on
block, which is VERY uncommon here - largely for insulation reasons I
suspect. It IS fairly common on some commercial buildings.

Water problems with a properly constructed stick-frame brick veneer
home are very uncommon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 15:16:39 -0800 (PST), Davej galt_57@... wrote:
[...]

From a little googling, I see that weep holes are used on brick veneer.
Some of them. Apparently the OP is missing them on his house.

Yes, and I see that they are required by my current local code... so
I will need to investigate whether they were required when this house
was built 18 years ago. They make sense to me considering that the one
inch gap behind the brick could get water in it from a roof, flashing,
or window defect, in addition to seepage through the brick itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 09:03:37 -0800 (PST), Davej
wrote:

[...]

From a little googling, I see that weep holes are used on brick veneer.
Some of them. Apparently the OP is missing them on his house.

Yes, and I see that they are required by my current local code... so
I will need to investigate whether they were required when this house
was built 18 years ago. They make sense to me considering that the one
inch gap behind the brick could get water in it from a roof, flashing,
or window defect, in addition to seepage through the brick itself.

It was required 40 years ago. If you are not the original owner
mabee the original owner didn't know what he was doing and filled
them. EIther that or the builder/bricklayer did not know his trade,
and the inspector missed it.

Those brick sills are just a problem waiting to happen too - and
definitely contribute to the moisture getting behind the brick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Both of my houses were brick. Load bearing. Neither had "weep holes."
Both were built pre-1960. Never had a moisture problem.
From a little googling, I see that weep holes are used on brick veneer.
Some of them. Apparently the OP is missing them on his house.

Yes, and I see that they are required by my current local code... so
I will need to investigate whether they were required when this house
was built 18 years ago. They make sense to me considering that the one
inch gap behind the brick could get water in it from a roof, flashing,
or window defect, in addition to seepage through the brick itself.

This guy explains weep holes in brick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVpYlEuoAYc

Interesting as I'd never seen such.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Both of my houses were brick. Load bearing. Neither had "weep holes."
Both were built pre-1960. Never had a moisture problem.
From a little googling, I see that weep holes are used on brick veneer.
Some of them. Apparently the OP is missing them on his house.

Yes, and I see that they are required by my current local code... so
I will need to investigate whether they were required when this house
was built 18 years ago. They make sense to me considering that the one
inch gap behind the brick could get water in it from a roof, flashing,
or window defect, in addition to seepage through the brick itself.

This guy explains weep holes in brick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVpYlEuoAYc

Interesting as I'd never seen such.

Me too. The next video shows brick laying and presents weep holes, and brick veneer
construction very clearly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgWo18yKEpk
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Both of my houses were brick. Load bearing. Neither had "weep holes."
Both were built pre-1960. Never had a moisture problem.
From a little googling, I see that weep holes are used on brick veneer.
Some of them. Apparently the OP is missing them on his house.

Yes, and I see that they are required by my current local code... so
I will need to investigate whether they were required when this house
was built 18 years ago. They make sense to me considering that the one
inch gap behind the brick could get water in it from a roof, flashing,
or window defect, in addition to seepage through the brick itself.

This guy explains weep holes in brick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVpYlEuoAYc

Interesting as I'd never seen such.

Me too. The next video shows brick laying and presents weep holes, and brick veneer
construction very clearly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgWo18yKEpk

That was neat. The weeps in the brick look like honeycomb / corrugated
material. My house is 3-coat stucco over wood frame (2X6 Exterior
walls. Along the bottom is 8' sections of galv. "weep screed". Allows
moisture to dry, yet not have the air space like the brick veneer.
'Course not much rain in the desert.