Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Vinyl windows in brick veneer

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 13:32:54 -0800 (PST), Davej
wrote:

On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 2:25:23 PM UTC-6, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 13 Feb 2018, Davej galt_57@... wrote:
On Monday, February 12, 2018, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 12 Feb 2018, Davej galt_57@... wrote:
On Monday, February 12, 2018, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Mon, 12 Feb 2018, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 12 Feb 2018, Davej galt_57@... wrote:

So where should vinyl window drain holes be relative
to the brick sill?

Um let me think ... tap ...tap ...tap!

If the window is installed correctly, the weep holes are on
the bottom of the window.
And they drip ONTO the sill (which slopes away from the
window) - NOT behind the sill -for what would appear to be
VERY obvious reasons.

To clarify what I am asking -- here is a photo...

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=35a9...9#.WoIiTnxG3IU

Please post a stand-back wider photo view for some perspective. I see
the "drain" but need more.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=flyt6x&s=9#.WoNBunxG3IU

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2cyo...9#.WoNCK3xG3IU

My feeling is that these windows were not installed correctly. My
feeling is that there should be room for a bead of caulk between
the bottom of the vinyl window and the brick.

I'm wondering if the weep holes may be clogged. Ordinarily,
replacement vinyl window are caulked with some beads of
silicone before the window is set in the RO. Yes, some window
installers are paid by piece work. A sign of no quality in
'attention to detail'. Fly by night crooks.

As to caulking the outside bottom, clean out along the bottom,
cut the tip small on a caulk tube and run a small bead along
the outside bottom.

These were the original windows in the house, and the installers
apparently used mortar around them rather than caulk. I will
certainly do my best to add caulk, but there is very little room
for caulk, especially around the window drains. Also I do not
know if there is water damage inside the wall since the brick
veneer lacks weep holes.

I'm getting confused. The windows have weep holes to drain. Why does
the brick veneer have to have one. The window drips onto the sill and
away or evaporates in little time.