Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Brick Veneer and Vinyl Windows

Bought a 17 year old house. Front of house is brick veneer. No weep holes. Vinyl windows have drain holes that feed water behind the brick sill. Also the vinyl windows were mortared rather than caulked. I am pondering what to do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 11:01:04 AM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
Bought a 17 year old house. Front of house is brick veneer. No weep holes. Vinyl windows have drain holes that feed water behind the brick sill. Also the vinyl windows were mortared rather than caulked. I am pondering what to do.

How about using a long masonry bit at an angle to drill a hole
from the weep hole to outside, then putting in a plastic tube,
silicone it to seal to the window frame? IDK, but it sounds like
a real problem as it is now, water going in behind the brick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 11:20:21 AM UTC-6, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 11:01:04 AM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
Bought a 17 year old house. Front of house is brick veneer. No
weep holes. Vinyl windows have drain holes that feed water
behind the brick sill. Also the vinyl windows were mortared
rather than caulked. I am pondering what to do.

How about using a long masonry bit at an angle to drill a hole
from the weep hole to outside, then putting in a plastic tube,
silicone it to seal to the window frame? IDK, but it sounds like
a real problem as it is now, water going in behind the brick.

The original drip holes are too far back -- but not actually below the brick sill. They are right against the brick sill. I used a Dremel to cut open the window frame and expose the original drip holes. Next I will seal the original drip holes and silicone in a plastic tube to run out across the sill.