Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Brick or Brick Veneer over Stucco

We've been living in a poorly constructed new home for the past 19 months.
After all of the legal maneuvering by the builder not to fix anything,
other than just slapping another coat of paint on it, he think's he's
ready to make a settlement offer.

In meantime, we desire to change the exterior appearance of the house. We
currently have stucco but want a brick facade. Can we overlay the brick
or brick veneer right over the stucco? What would be the benefit of full
brick over brick veneer?

Thanks,

-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

MikeL wrote:
We've been living in a poorly constructed new home for the past 19 months.
After all of the legal maneuvering by the builder not to fix anything,
other than just slapping another coat of paint on it, he think's he's
ready to make a settlement offer.

In meantime, we desire to change the exterior appearance of the house. We
currently have stucco but want a brick facade. Can we overlay the brick
or brick veneer right over the stucco? What would be the benefit of full
brick over brick veneer?

Unless your foundation has a brick ledge, you can't skin the place in
real 'full' brick without expensive alterations at the base of the
walls. By 'brick veneer' I assume you mean the thin slices that are put
up over chicken wire and a mud bed, about like the scratch coat of real
stucco? That is a possibility. If your current stucco is failing, it
needs to come off. The house will look funny otherwise, and stucco
usually fails because water is getting behind it. That won't change just
because brick is over it. The wall needs to be stripped, and any
flashing and drainage problems (usually at the windows) needs to be
fixed. Any damaged wall parts need to be replaced. (especially true if
you have that plastic faux stucco rather than the portland-based kind.)

We can't see your house from here. I suggest asking a few local
bricklayers to come by for a site visit. They can tell you the options
after a few minutes looking around. By the way, any brick applied over a
wood-framed wall is called brick veneer. 'Full brick' is the way they
used to build houses, with a wall 2 or 3 layers of brick thick, and no
wood. The thin brick is often called 'Z-brick', after one of the
original brands. Not sure about what the current term is. Faux brick
would probably work.

There is an alternative- a style of fake brick that hangs on the wall
like shingles, with each row covering the nails of the row below. Seems
to be ideal for retrofit applications like yours, but would likely
require the old stucco be stripped as well, to make the windows and
doors look right, if nothing else.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 4, 7:42*pm, (MikeL)
wrote:
We've been living in a poorly constructed new home for the past 19 months..
*After all of the legal maneuvering by the builder not to fix anything,
other than just slapping another coat of paint on it, he think's he's
ready to make a settlement offer.

In meantime, we desire to change the exterior appearance of the house. *We
currently have stucco but want a brick facade. *Can we overlay the brick
or brick veneer right over the stucco? *What would be the benefit of full
brick over brick veneer?

Thanks,

If your house is truly "poorly" constructed, then putting a brick
veneer on it is not a great idea.
Where is the house located? Any seismic issues? Heavy rains? Water
intrusion? How's the roof design?

My recommendation is don't spend your settlement dollars on cosmetic
changes.

Rarely do settlements produce enough money to even cover the important
stuff.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 4, 9:42*pm, (MikeL)
wrote:
We've been living in a poorly constructed new home for the past 19 months..
*After all of the legal maneuvering by the builder not to fix anything,
other than just slapping another coat of paint on it, he think's he's
ready to make a settlement offer.

In meantime, we desire to change the exterior appearance of the house. *We
currently have stucco but want a brick facade. *Can we overlay the brick
or brick veneer right over the stucco? *What would be the benefit of full
brick over brick veneer?

Thanks,

-------------------------------------

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

It would cost alot more than you think becuase its alot of work and
material. To start with the brick needs a foundation below grade it
doesnt have to hold the weight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

MikeL had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...co-351900-.htm
:
Thanks to all. Home is in El Paso Texas. Rain not really an issue. The
settlement will go to fix all the inspection findings, not the aesthetic
change to the exterior. Guess when all is said and done, we want this
house to look different than what we originally bought.... just into the
looking stage at this point, not ready to proceed at this time... your
comments about getting the bad issues fixed are a must.

Thanks Again,

-------------------------------------
ransley wrote:

On Jan 4, 9:42=A0pm, (MikeL)
wrote:
We've been living in a poorly constructed new home for the past 19
months=

.
=A0After all of the legal maneuvering by the builder not to fix
anything,
other than just slapping another coat of paint on it, he think's
he's
ready to make a settlement offer.

In meantime, we desire to change the exterior appearance of the
house. =

=A0We
currently have stucco but want a brick facade. =A0Can we overlay
the bric=

or brick veneer right over the stucco? =A0What would be the
benefit of fu=

ll
brick over brick veneer?

Thanks,

-------------------------------------

Delivered via =A0http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

It would cost alot more than you think becuase its alot of work and
material. To start with the brick needs a foundation below grade it
doesnt have to hold the weight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to MikeL, Houstonbrick wrote:
Please do not use chicken wire, here at www.masoncrew.net we use wire mesh
specific to masonry. If you hire a contractor using chicken wire,please
rethink your decision. Mason Crew, LLC believes we need to use current
building practices. Like I stated before,not an attack,wire mesh, 10 dollars a
sheet at any home depot. If you need masonry repair services or advise visit
www.masoncrew.net

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...co-351856-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 13, 2016 at 10:44:04 PM UTC-5, Houstonbrick wrote:
replying to MikeL, Houstonbrick wrote:
Please do not use chicken wire, here at www.masoncrew.net we use wire mesh
specific to masonry. If you hire a contractor using chicken wire,please
rethink your decision. Mason Crew, LLC believes we need to use current
building practices. Like I stated before,not an attack,wire mesh, 10 dollars a
sheet at any home depot. If you need masonry repair services or advise visit
www.masoncrew.net
--

It's really sad that 5 years ago, Mike was kidnapped by aliens, taken aboard their flying saucer and experimented on. He now spends his days wandering around and shouting EEEK! every few minutes. It's really tragic. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Alien Monster

Which comes first? The brick or the stucco? [email protected] Home Repair 4 June 14th 16 04:53 AM
brick veneer coolneo Home Repair 6 November 2nd 04 11:43 PM
Brick veneer over peeling stucco? doggeroo Home Repair 6 August 12th 04 07:15 PM
Brick vs. brick veneer question Gary Home Ownership 2 September 18th 03 02:43 PM
Brick vs. brick veneer question Ralph Home Ownership 2 September 16th 03 10:07 PM