Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Which comes first? The brick or the stucco?

We are doing some remodeling on the outside of our home, which includes
new stucco, some brick facing, new concrete driveway and patios and
landscaping. The entire lot has been cleared of all old concrete,
grass, plants, etc... As my wife says, we are living on planet dirt!

The house has been sandblasted, all new windows, doors, vents, fascia
and trim installed (whew that was a lot of work). The house was just
brown coated which finally brings me to my question.

Next up is brick facing going 1/4 - 1/2 up the walls on parts of the
front of the home, brick planters in front of the facing, driveway,
patios and of course the dash/color coat stucco in La Habra "Aspen"
color. My stucco guy and brick/concrete guy both want to proceed in a
different sequence.

Brick/Concrete guy:
He of course wants to get in there now that the brown coat has been
done and get the facing and planters done, then let the stucco
contractor color coat, then he will come back and do the driveway and
patios.

Stucco Guy:
He wants to wait only a week after the brown coat and get the color
coat done then let the other contractor do the brick and concrete work.

Me:
Wants it done right and clean.

Wife:
Just wants it done!

I see advantages and disadvantages both ways and could really use some
advice/suggestions on this. If brick guy gets his facing done now he
does not have to worry about getting mortar on the finish coat stucco
and I am sure that makes his life a little easier. Stucco guy likes
that my lot is bare and there is no concrete, brick or landscaping to
worry about and of course would like to get in and finish coat so he
can get final payment. He did a reasonable job protecting my windows
and doors, but I still had some cleanup to do (I am admittedly a bit
anal about the new windows and doors I worked so hard to install).

I would like to know what the proper sequence should be to produce the
proper/best look overall and specifically the transition from stucco to
the brick facing and of course would like to avoid stucco on the new
brick/concrete and/or mortar/concrete on the new finished stucco.

As a secondary question, is it ok to let the brown coat cure only 1
week before color coat? It is quite hot here (high 80's to mid
90's) and after only a few days the brown coat is rock hard and by
appearance fully dry. Does it need to cure for a full 30 days or is one
week enough time as he says.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice offered. (flammers
and trolls excluded of course)

Patrick

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stucco is messy, id probably do stucco first, get the mess cleaned up
and no worry of concrete brick damage. The brick work is clean work
compared to throwing stucco.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is the brick "facing" conventional brick veneer, or some other
material? Have the respective contractors agreed on how to handle the
junction between the birck "facing' and stucco in terms of drainage
plane(s) and flashings? If so, does that affect the best sequencing for
the applications?

Michael Thomas
Paragon Home Inspection, LLC
Chicago, IL
mdtATparagoninspectsDOTcom
847-475-568

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to ng, Houstonbrick wrote:
Adding the higher elevation material is always practicedo. Let stucco
contractor complete work,clean up,collect 90% of earnings, you keep 10%. After
brick is installed and pay your stucco man. Stucco may miss details that your
brick contractor cannot afford to miss. Control joints, transition bar ,were
stucco meets brick,needs to look clean. Mason Crew, LLC in Houston can
certainly help with advise at www.masoncrew.net. Houston brick repair is our
specialty.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...co-129793-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 13, 2016 at 10:44:04 PM UTC-5, Houstonbrick wrote:
replying to ng, Houstonbrick wrote:
Adding the higher elevation material is always practicedo. Let stucco
contractor complete work,clean up,collect 90% of earnings, you keep 10%. After
brick is installed and pay your stucco man. Stucco may miss details that your
brick contractor cannot afford to miss. Control joints, transition bar ,were
stucco meets brick,needs to look clean. Mason Crew, LLC in Houston can
certainly help with advise at www.masoncrew.net. Houston brick repair is our
specialty.
--

Unfortunately, 9 years ago, the OP's house exploded due to a gas leak. Everyone inside including 40 trained gerbils lost their lives. It was a real tragedy.
8-(

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster