raiden

Default Converting a Real stucco with stacked stone to a brick front

We found a house that we really liked last week and it matches our
criteria. There a couple of questionable things about this house.

This house has a real stucco with stacked stone front and concreted
siding on the sides and back. This house is built in 1997 by Ryland
homes in Atlanta, Georgia, well maintained interior and exterior and
looks impeccable.

I like brick fronts and my agent told me that he does not even list
stucco houses in general.

I heard from a friend that because the house is real stucco, we can
pay a contractor to make this to brick front. Is this a good idea ?

Is it common to convert a real stucco to a brick front ?.

Does it effect the resale value of the house ?

What is a rough ball park number for converting?

Please please help.
SQLit

"raiden" wrote in message
m...
We found a house that we really liked last week and it matches our
criteria. There a couple of questionable things about this house.

This house has a real stucco with stacked stone front and concreted
siding on the sides and back. This house is built in 1997 by Ryland
homes in Atlanta, Georgia, well maintained interior and exterior and
looks impeccable.

I like brick fronts and my agent told me that he does not even list
stucco houses in general.

I heard from a friend that because the house is real stucco, we can
pay a contractor to make this to brick front. Is this a good idea ?

Is it common to convert a real stucco to a brick front ?.

Does it effect the resale value of the house ?

What is a rough ball park number for converting?

Please please help.

As apposed to fake stucco??? I am lost why do you want to remove the skin
of a new home? If it is for looks you going to spend a lot of money that you
probably will never get back. Your talking about removing the outer sheath
of your home. I own a Richmond-American home that is built the same way. It
will be expensive and you had better be talking to the inspectors about
this.

Art

FIrst of all there is real old fashion stucco and there is synthetic stucco.
The latter is a problem because it may trap humidity in the walls and
eventually the structure rots out. It has been outlawed in many areas and
has dragged down the value of real stucco homes even though there is nothing
wrong with real stucco.

Brick requires a footing. Stucco does not. So there is no footing there
except where the stacked stone is assuming it is real and not a veneer.

Bricking up a house is a major deal and quite frankly, you don't sound like
you know enuf about houses to get involved unless you can find a top notch
contractor which is rare. Most brick houses are not flashed correctly and
the brick is not tied to the framing correctly. In your case, how can the
brick be tied to the framing since the framing studs are no longer visible
thru the exisiting siding. You are asking for trouble but if you want to
pursue it visit the Brick Industry Association site and read their technical
notes about installing brick. There's a lot more to it then you (and most
contractors) know.

"raiden" wrote in message
m...
We found a house that we really liked last week and it matches our
criteria. There a couple of questionable things about this house.

This house has a real stucco with stacked stone front and concreted
siding on the sides and back. This house is built in 1997 by Ryland
homes in Atlanta, Georgia, well maintained interior and exterior and
looks impeccable.

I like brick fronts and my agent told me that he does not even list
stucco houses in general.

I heard from a friend that because the house is real stucco, we can
pay a contractor to make this to brick front. Is this a good idea ?

Is it common to convert a real stucco to a brick front ?.

Does it effect the resale value of the house ?

What is a rough ball park number for converting?

Please please help.

raiden

"Art" wrote in message hlink.net...
[...]

"raiden" wrote in message
m...
We found a house that we really liked last week and it matches our
criteria. There a couple of questionable things about this house.

This house has a real stucco with stacked stone front and concreted
siding on the sides and back. This house is built in 1997 by Ryland
homes in Atlanta, Georgia, well maintained interior and exterior and
looks impeccable.

I like brick fronts and my agent told me that he does not even list
stucco houses in general.

I heard from a friend that because the house is real stucco, we can
pay a contractor to make this to brick front. Is this a good idea ?

Is it common to convert a real stucco to a brick front ?.

Does it effect the resale value of the house ?

What is a rough ball park number for converting?

Please please help.

Thanks for your advise. I am a first time buyer. I will try and look
for the house with the brick front instead of doing custom work. You
guys helped me make the decision. Thanks for your help.
Tom Baker

(raiden) wrote in message om...
We found a house that we really liked last week and it matches our
criteria. There a couple of questionable things about this house.

This house has a real stucco with stacked stone front and concreted
siding on the sides and back. This house is built in 1997 by Ryland
homes in Atlanta, Georgia, well maintained interior and exterior and
looks impeccable.

I like brick fronts and my agent told me that he does not even list
stucco houses in general.

I heard from a friend that because the house is real stucco, we can
pay a contractor to make this to brick front. Is this a good idea ?

Is it common to convert a real stucco to a brick front ?.

Does it effect the resale value of the house ?

What is a rough ball park number for converting?

Please please help.

First, although I think SQLit & Art suggest some real problems you
would face, I think the level of panic suggested is a bit much.

Second, there is not enough information to suggest a cost.

As an architect, I dislike "brick fronts". I think they make houses
look cheap, because it looks like a false front.

Ask your realtor about the resale value.

Your friend's comment as you render it, doesn't make much sense. Is
your friend assuming that since stucco is sort of like masonry, it's
sort of like brick?

The stone, if it has some thickness / depth, would suggest the
existence of a ledge in the foundation to support brick. The brick
should be part of a cavity wall with an air space behind the brick.
The brick above door and window openings would have to be supported on
lintels. Flashing and weep holes would be required above and below
window openings, and at the base of the wall. The brick would have to
be tied back to the structural wall at intervals of two feet or so.
Trim at openings would have to be designed and installed to deal with
the thickness of the brick and air space.

As SQLit and Art point out, adding brick would be difficult and so
expensive. If it were me, and the house layout, condition, and
neighborhood are acceptable, I'd buy, then work out the details and
costs over the next year. The choice of brick can make a big
difference in the cost, so give time for that search.

Art

As some one in the construction business of sorts (an architect) I wanted to
give you something to consider.

As I'm sure you know, brick is supposed to be tied to the studs of a house.
After they frame a house and put up the sheathing, they usually (at least in
my area) cover the house with tyvac or some other brand paper.

Have you ever seen them mark the position of the studs as they put up the
paper? I've never seen it once. Never. So how the heck can the masons be
putting the brick ties into the studs. Answer..... they don't unless they
randomly hit one once in a while. Basically all these brick veneered houses
are not being built properly and its a crime, in my opinion.