doggeroo

Default Brick veneer over peeling stucco?

I am having a problem with soft stucco bulging and peeling off my
house (Los Angeles) from soil level to 18 inches, where there is a
planter. I had let sprinklers and fountain splash hit the house in
the problem spots.

Well, I have redirected the sprinklers and would like to cover the
area with brick veneer. "The man at the brick yard told me"
(familiar, right?) that I could cover the stucco with Thinset and
directly apply the thin bricks to it. Here's my problem... in some
areas, I've completely peeled away the stucco, exposing cement, in
other areas there is a very bumpy 1/4 inch high stucco layer which may
or may not peel off later. I'm afraid to start applying the Thinset
until I know if I'm doing the right thing here. Can you help me with
some experience/advice?

Cindy

ameijers

"Eric Tonks" etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM wrote in message
isi.com...
You will be bonding the brick veneers solidly to a loose layer of stucco
that will eventually fall off due to the weight of the brick along with
time.

"doggeroo" wrote in message
om...
I am having a problem with soft stucco bulging and peeling off my
house (Los Angeles) from soil level to 18 inches, where there is a
planter. I had let sprinklers and fountain splash hit the house in
the problem spots.

Well, I have redirected the sprinklers and would like to cover the
area with brick veneer. "The man at the brick yard told me"
(familiar, right?) that I could cover the stucco with Thinset and
directly apply the thin bricks to it. Here's my problem... in some
areas, I've completely peeled away the stucco, exposing cement, in
other areas there is a very bumpy 1/4 inch high stucco layer which may
or may not peel off later. I'm afraid to start applying the Thinset
until I know if I'm doing the right thing here. Can you help me with
some experience/advice?

Not to mention, if you have soft stucco, you probably also have rotted wood
behind it. To do this right, you have to remove all the damaged stuff,
back to solid material, and build back out, adding/patching any water seal
and flashing as you go. A real hard part will be making a good water seal at
transition between stucco and the faux brick. You don't want water to build
up behind the new mortar bed the brick sits in. I'd be more inclined to
strip wall to sheathing, and do it all over correctly. Costs more, but it
will last longer.

aem sends...

doggeroo

"Art" wrote in message thlink.net...
Are you talking about thin brick veneer or real bricks. Real bricks need a
footer to sit on and need to be tied to the house.

Veneer, the brick slices are only about 1/4 inch thick, more like tile than brick.

doggeroo

... in some
areas, I've completely peeled away the stucco, exposing cement, in
other areas there is a very bumpy 1/4 inch high stucco layer which may
or may not peel off later.

After reading your replies, I think that I'll (1) attach a very
coarse sanding bit to my drill, go over the remaining stucco to even
it out and to expose any other areas which might be loose. (2) I'll
notch out small sections in the remaining stucco areas so that the
cement underneath is exposed (maybe even create a hole into the
cement) every 4 inches or so. (3) I'll apply a chemical that
increases bonding, then the Thinset and bricks. How does that sound?
Maybe it'll work? Kinda, sorta?

Cindy