Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Ralph

Default Brick vs. brick veneer question

In shopping online for a better price for homeowner's insurance, I saw
a form which asked if my house was "brick" or "brick veneer". What's
the difference, and how can I tell which my house is? To me it's
always just been a "brick house".

On 16 Sep 2003 10:05:13 -0500, someone wrote:

If your house was built anytime in the past sixty years, it is most
likely brick veneer, not brick. If you have drywall on the interior of
your outside walls rather than plaster, it is almost 100% guaranteed
that it is brick veneer, rather than brick..

Actually, it is possible in certain warm wet areas (like Florida) that
a post-war (WWII not Viet Nam) house could be *block* with brick
exterior layer. That would count as a "brick" house (I am supprised
the app calls it "brick" rather than the more general term "masonry"
but perhaps they dumber down the form because too many people had to
ask what "masonry" was).

A masonry house could also have drywall on furring strips; easier to
run wires and could have foam insulation in there; that is more common
in commercial buildings.

Also, is a block house with a "Dryvit" or fake stucco (textured
fiberglass over foam) a "brick" house; the structure is masonry but
the siding is combustible???

Anyways, OP, what are your walls made of? What are the layers from
inside out, and we'll tell you which it is.

-v.