Kevin MacTavish

Default Brick vs. brick veneer question

(Ralph) wrote in message . com...
In shopping online for a better price for homeowner's insurance, I saw
a form which asked if my house was "brick" or "brick veneer". What's
the difference, and how can I tell which my house is? To me it's
always just been a "brick house".

"Brick veneer" is a wood framed house that has the brick hanging from
it. The wood is the structure and the brick merely a veneer. That is
most common these days. A "brick" house is likely what I refer to as
double-brick construction. There is no wood frame and the bricks are
structural. There are two "columns" (stacks - I don't know a better
word) of brick side by side and every six rows, the two columns of
bricks are tied together with bricks placed perpendicular to the walls
(joining the two columns of bricks together).

From the outside you would normally be able to see the "ends" of
bricks every six rows (intead of the sides as is normally the case). I
say normally because a house could also be triple-brick construction
where the double-brick that I described has another column of brick
veneer on the outside (hanging from the double-brick as in the wood
frame construction).

I hope this helps.

Kevin MacTavish