Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repairing Chain Link Fence

I have a number of sections of chain link fence where invasive trees have been allowed to grow and have blended with the chain link.

I have cut down the trees above the fence and cut them off below the chain link. The only practical way of getting the tree remnants out of the chain link is to remove short sections of fence and splice in new pieces. Some of the trees are 6 - 10 inches in diameter and have blended with the fence along the entire 5 foot height.

I don't have much experience with installing or splicing chain link, I was hoping to get some pointers on the best way to proceed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 8:06:59 AM UTC-6, Brian Wraith wrote:
I have a number of sections of chain link fence where invasive trees have been allowed to grow and have blended with the chain link.

I have cut down the trees above the fence and cut them off below the chain link. The only practical way of getting the tree remnants out of the chain link is to remove short sections of fence and splice in new pieces. Some of the trees are 6 - 10 inches in diameter and have blended with the fence along the entire 5 foot height.

I don't have much experience with installing or splicing chain link, I was hoping to get some pointers on the best way to proceed.

Have you considered searching the Internet? ^_^

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=splicing+c...b=v83-1&ia=web

[8~{} Uncle Fence Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Brian Wraith writes:

I have a number of sections of chain link fence where invasive trees
have been allowed to grow and have blended with the chain link.

I have cut down the trees above the fence and cut them off below the
chain link. The only practical way of getting the tree remnants out
of the chain link is to remove short sections of fence and splice in
new pieces. Some of the trees are 6 - 10 inches in diameter and have
blended with the fence along the entire 5 foot height.

I don't have much experience with installing or splicing chain link, I
was hoping to get some pointers on the best way to proceed.

Best way to proceed is just leave it.
In a few years the wood will rot and you can just pull it out.

Otherwise:

https://www.familyhandyman.com/garde...ence/view-all/

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 10:40:33 AM UTC-8, Dan Espen wrote:
Brian Wraith writes:

I have a number of sections of chain link fence where invasive trees
have been allowed to grow and have blended with the chain link.

I have cut down the trees above the fence and cut them off below the
chain link. The only practical way of getting the tree remnants out
of the chain link is to remove short sections of fence and splice in
new pieces. Some of the trees are 6 - 10 inches in diameter and have
blended with the fence along the entire 5 foot height.

I don't have much experience with installing or splicing chain link, I
was hoping to get some pointers on the best way to proceed.

Best way to proceed is just leave it.
In a few years the wood will rot and you can just pull it out.

Not an option that works in this situation.

Otherwise:

https://www.familyhandyman.com/garde...ence/view-all/

Your above link pertains to repairing the top, horizontal bar of a chain link fence, not the splicing of the fence fabric.

Thanks for trying.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 6:13:48 AM UTC-8, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 8:06:59 AM UTC-6, Brian Wraith wrote:
I have a number of sections of chain link fence where invasive trees have been allowed to grow and have blended with the chain link.

I have cut down the trees above the fence and cut them off below the chain link. The only practical way of getting the tree remnants out of the chain link is to remove short sections of fence and splice in new pieces. Some of the trees are 6 - 10 inches in diameter and have blended with the fence along the entire 5 foot height.

I don't have much experience with installing or splicing chain link, I was hoping to get some pointers on the best way to proceed.

Have you considered searching the Internet? ^_^

You must be the group rocket scientist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brian Wraith writes:

[...]

Thought I saw it go on to discuss weaving in replacement links.
Nope, sorry.

Try this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fRV3YGuJ6o

I've seen it done on TOH.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 7:35:22 PM UTC-6, Brian Wraith wrote:
On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 6:13:48 AM UTC-8, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 8:06:59 AM UTC-6, Brian Wraith wrote:
I have a number of sections of chain link fence where invasive trees have been allowed to grow and have blended with the chain link.

I have cut down the trees above the fence and cut them off below the chain link. The only practical way of getting the tree remnants out of the chain link is to remove short sections of fence and splice in new pieces. Some of the trees are 6 - 10 inches in diameter and have blended with the fence along the entire 5 foot height.

I don't have much experience with installing or splicing chain link, I was hoping to get some pointers on the best way to proceed.

Have you considered searching the Internet? ^_^

You must be the group rocket scientist.

Did you click on the link? It only took a few seconds to find multiple sources of instructions including videos on repairing chain link fencing. You can reject my help if you wish and it won't change my opinion of you. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Dejected Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 17:35:18 -0800 (PST), Brian Wraith
wrote:

On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 6:13:48 AM UTC-8, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 8:06:59 AM UTC-6, Brian Wraith wrote:
I have a number of sections of chain link fence where invasive trees have been allowed to grow and have blended with the chain link.

I have cut down the trees above the fence and cut them off below the chain link. The only practical way of getting the tree remnants out of the chain link is to remove short sections of fence and splice in new pieces. Some of the trees are 6 - 10 inches in diameter and have blended with the fence along the entire 5 foot height.

I don't have much experience with installing or splicing chain link, I was hoping to get some pointers on the best way to proceed.

Have you considered searching the Internet? ^_^

You must be the group rocket scientist.

The short answer is you take loose the end nearest the bad spot to
relieve the pressure, along with any intermediate ties. Then you
unbend the top and untwist bottom of the first zig zag wire you want
to replace and pull it out. Do that at the far end of the bad spot and
throw away the bad section. Weave in a new piece, bend over/twist the
ends. re stretch the fence and tie it all back in.
The problem is it takes years for the new piece to weather in like the
old part.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 8:40:04 AM UTC-8, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 06:06:50 -0800 (PST), Brian Wraith
wrote:

I have a number of sections of chain link fence where invasive trees have been allowed to grow and have blended with the chain link.

I have cut down the trees above the fence and cut them off below the chain link. The only practical way of getting the tree remnants out of the chain link is to remove short sections of fence and splice in new pieces. Some of the trees are 6 - 10 inches in diameter and have blended with the fence along the entire 5 foot height.

I don't have much experience with installing or splicing chain link, I was hoping to get some pointers on the best way to proceed.

This instructional video from Lowe's about the installation of chain
link fence, is really well done and should give you what you need to
know about splicing your chain link.

You are basically going to need a come-along, something to cut the
bottom tension wire hog rings (not the wire), a couple of tension
bands, a spreader bar, some new hog rings, some new fence fabric and
fence ties.

I learned a couple of things in this video about the installation, I
have never just poured dry concrete into a hole and added water, I
have always mixed it first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODH_Xj3RrGQ

That was exactly what I needed! Thank you very much Norman!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Brian Wraith posted for all of us...

On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 6:13:48 AM UTC-8, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 8:06:59 AM UTC-6, Brian Wraith wrote:
I have a number of sections of chain link fence where invasive trees have been allowed to grow and have blended with the chain link.

I have cut down the trees above the fence and cut them off below the chain link. The only practical way of getting the tree remnants out of the chain link is to remove short sections of fence and splice in new pieces. Some of the trees are 6 - 10 inches in diameter and have blended with the fence along the entire 5 foot height.

I don't have much experience with installing or splicing chain link, I was hoping to get some pointers on the best way to proceed.

Have you considered searching the Internet? ^_^

You must be the group rocket scientist.

You just lost any help you were going to get.

--
Tekkie