EggRaid

Default Removing Chain-Link Fence and posts

Hello,

I bought a house that has a chain link fence only on one side of the back
yard.. I discovered that this is actually my neighbors "former" fence but
they built a wooden fence on their side of it.

Now, there are tons of large weeds that grow between their wooden fence and
the old chain link that can't be accessed. I would like to remove the chain
link fence and just use the back of their wooden fence as the common
separation.

With his permission, of course, what is the best way to remove those posts?
I can cut the chain link off, but the posts seem to be pretty solid. Should
they just be dug up, or cut at the base?

Thoughts? Experiences?

ER

effi

"EggRaid" wrote in message
Hello,

I bought a house that has a chain link fence only on one side of the back
yard.. I discovered that this is actually my neighbors "former" fence but
they built a wooden fence on their side of it.

Now, there are tons of large weeds that grow between their wooden fence
and
the old chain link that can't be accessed. I would like to remove the
chain
link fence and just use the back of their wooden fence as the common
separation.

With his permission, of course, what is the best way to remove those
posts?
I can cut the chain link off, but the posts seem to be pretty solid.
Should
they just be dug up, or cut at the base?

Thoughts? Experiences?

ER

find someone who wants a section of chain link fence that long and tell
them they can have it if they can get it out without damaging the wood fence

George E. Cawthon

EggRaid wrote:
Hello,

I bought a house that has a chain link fence only on one side of the back
yard.. I discovered that this is actually my neighbors "former" fence but
they built a wooden fence on their side of it.

Now, there are tons of large weeds that grow between their wooden fence and
the old chain link that can't be accessed. I would like to remove the chain
link fence and just use the back of their wooden fence as the common
separation.

With his permission, of course, what is the best way to remove those posts?
I can cut the chain link off, but the posts seem to be pretty solid. Should
they just be dug up, or cut at the base?

Thoughts? Experiences?

ER

Don't dig, don't cut, use a post puller. This is just a
long rod with a fixture that hooks on the post and a support
that gives high leverage. You can of course just use pipe
and chain and a couple of short 10x10" timbers, but it is
more cumbersome. An alternative is one of those hi lift
jacks that many people buy for their pickup or farm
machinery. You just jack the post and cement out of the
ground. When you get the out, a few whacks will reduce the
cement to manageable size and then you do whatever you want
with the post (sell to the recycler?).
Buck Turgidson

Why don't you just use a Sawzall? If the concrete is above the surface, you
might try a sledge hammer to break them up.

Kevin Ricks

Last summer I helped my neighbor remove chain link between our properties.
He cut the posts off a few inches below grade using an angle grinder with
cutting disk. Very easy and quick. A couple of old posts were in the way of
the new vinyl fence posts and had to be dug up. He dug around as much as
possible and soaked with water then pulled them up with chain attached to an
ATV.

Kevin

"EggRaid" wrote in message
Hello,

I bought a house that has a chain link fence only on one side of the back
yard.. I discovered that this is actually my neighbors "former" fence but
they built a wooden fence on their side of it.

Now, there are tons of large weeds that grow between their wooden fence
and
the old chain link that can't be accessed. I would like to remove the
chain
link fence and just use the back of their wooden fence as the common
separation.

With his permission, of course, what is the best way to remove those
posts?
I can cut the chain link off, but the posts seem to be pretty solid.
Should
they just be dug up, or cut at the base?

Thoughts? Experiences?

ER

wayne

Don't forget to soak the ground before you pull the posts wiggle them as
much as possible metal posts are usually not in that deep. You may even
want to try one of those deep root waterers they have to get the ground
soaked deep at the bottom 2' is the usual depth form the ones that I have
seen.

Wayne

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
EggRaid wrote:
[...]

JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk

If the posts are concreted in the ground, (I did that in my dog run to
prevent him from digging the posts down, you can cut the posts off as low as
possible, then put a little topsoil over the area and turn it into a planter
bed or seed it with grass.

EggRaid wrote:
[...]

Mark Cato

- EggRaid wrote:

Hello,

I bought a house that has a chain link fence only on one side of the back
yard.. I discovered that this is actually my neighbors "former" fence but
they built a wooden fence on their side of it.

Now, there are tons of large weeds that grow between their wooden fence
and the old chain link that can't be accessed. I would like to remove
the chain link fence and just use the back of their wooden fence as the
common separation.

With his permission, of course, what is the best way to remove those
posts? I can cut the chain link off, but the posts seem to be pretty
solid. Should they just be dug up, or cut at the base?

Thoughts? Experiences?

ER

How are the posts installed? If their set in concrete and in very close
proximity to the new fence, removal would be difficult. Another factor is
the clearance between the cement base and the bottom of the fence. Your
neighbor may be able to provide details on the depth of the pour, etc if he
did the job himself (or watched the process).

The easiest solution would be to cut the posts as low as possible and bury
them. As others have suggested, an angle grinder or Sawz-All should make
short work of the posts without damaging the neighbor's new fence.

mark
__________________________
Mark Cato

Jeff Cochran

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 05:49:26 GMT, "EggRaid"
wrote:

Hello,

I bought a house that has a chain link fence only on one side of the back
yard.. I discovered that this is actually my neighbors "former" fence but
they built a wooden fence on their side of it.

Now, there are tons of large weeds that grow between their wooden fence and
the old chain link that can't be accessed. I would like to remove the chain
link fence and just use the back of their wooden fence as the common
separation.

With his permission, of course, what is the best way to remove those posts?
I can cut the chain link off, but the posts seem to be pretty solid. Should
they just be dug up, or cut at the base?

Thoughts? Experiences?

Sheepherder's jack, sometimes called a fancepost jack.

Jeff

Phisherman

wrote:

Hello,

I bought a house that has a chain link fence only on one side of the back
yard.. I discovered that this is actually my neighbors "former" fence but
they built a wooden fence on their side of it.

Now, there are tons of large weeds that grow between their wooden fence and
the old chain link that can't be accessed. I would like to remove the chain
link fence and just use the back of their wooden fence as the common
separation.

With his permission, of course, what is the best way to remove those posts?
I can cut the chain link off, but the posts seem to be pretty solid. Should
they just be dug up, or cut at the base?

Thoughts? Experiences?

ER

Dig out the posts. A come-along or wench may make be good tools to
use.

Sexytom976

Best and quickest idea right there!

Sawzall is the next best!

George E. Cawthon

wrote:

Hello,

I bought a house that has a chain link fence only on one side of the back
yard.. I discovered that this is actually my neighbors "former" fence but
they built a wooden fence on their side of it.

Now, there are tons of large weeds that grow between their wooden fence and
the old chain link that can't be accessed. I would like to remove the chain
link fence and just use the back of their wooden fence as the common
separation.

With his permission, of course, what is the best way to remove those posts?
I can cut the chain link off, but the posts seem to be pretty solid. Should
they just be dug up, or cut at the base?

Thoughts? Experiences?

ER

Dig out the posts. A come-along or wench may make be good tools to
use.

Huh? What did you say a wench would be good for?

Fence boundary question. Dave UK diy 13 November 25th 04 04:48 PM
Concrete block posts and horizontal wood 'picket' privacy fence idea. Stu Home Ownership 0 September 22nd 04 03:32 AM
Set fence posts in concrete or use Metposts? DIY Novice UK diy 6 June 3rd 04 10:26 PM
Garden fence posts Mortimer UK diy 8 February 6th 04 11:50 AM
Concrete Fence Posts - setting out Rick Hughes UK diy 4 July 11th 03 08:45 PM