Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repairing Chain Link Fence

On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 17:35:18 -0800 (PST), Brian Wraith
wrote:

On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 6:13:48 AM UTC-8, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 8:06:59 AM UTC-6, Brian Wraith wrote:
I have a number of sections of chain link fence where invasive trees have been allowed to grow and have blended with the chain link.

I have cut down the trees above the fence and cut them off below the chain link. The only practical way of getting the tree remnants out of the chain link is to remove short sections of fence and splice in new pieces. Some of the trees are 6 - 10 inches in diameter and have blended with the fence along the entire 5 foot height.

I don't have much experience with installing or splicing chain link, I was hoping to get some pointers on the best way to proceed.

Have you considered searching the Internet? ^_^

You must be the group rocket scientist.

The short answer is you take loose the end nearest the bad spot to
relieve the pressure, along with any intermediate ties. Then you
unbend the top and untwist bottom of the first zig zag wire you want
to replace and pull it out. Do that at the far end of the bad spot and
throw away the bad section. Weave in a new piece, bend over/twist the
ends. re stretch the fence and tie it all back in.
The problem is it takes years for the new piece to weather in like the
old part.