Chuck

Default Concrete for setting 4 ft chain link fence post

Anyone have experience with the new type concrete mix you pour in post
hole dry, then add water? Results? I have one post to reset which
the walk through gate attaches to. Not having to premix would be nice
if it works. No need for mixing container
Thanks
Chuck
Robert Allison

Chuck wrote:

Anyone have experience with the new type concrete mix you pour in post
hole dry, then add water? Results? I have one post to reset which
the walk through gate attaches to. Not having to premix would be nice
if it works. No need for mixing container
Thanks
Chuck

I just use redimix bags and do that. I have never heard of a new
type of concrete for this. I have been doing that for about 20
years.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Jeff Cochran

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 03:45:19 GMT, Chuck wrote:

Anyone have experience with the new type concrete mix you pour in post
hole dry, then add water? Results? I have one post to reset which
the walk through gate attaches to. Not having to premix would be nice
if it works. No need for mixing container

You're probably looking at quick-setting concrete. No where near new,
just ask for it at your local outlet. Or use a standard concrete mix
for the same thing, you'll need to brace the posts though.

Jeff
David Efflandt

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 03:45:19 GMT, Chuck wrote:
Anyone have experience with the new type concrete mix you pour in post
hole dry, then add water? Results? I have one post to reset which
the walk through gate attaches to. Not having to premix would be nice
if it works. No need for mixing container
Thanks
Chuck

I did that for our mailbox post at work. Nothing special about the
concrete. I just dumped it in the hole, added water, and mixed it in the
hole. If for some reason you do not add enough water, rainwater will
harden it.

Note that a hole for a fencepost should go below the frostline if you want
fenceposts to remain vertical (instead of pitched every which way from
frost heaving).

From the looks of the foundation on my 90+ year old home, they just dug a
trench, poured concrete in the trench, dug out the basement and built up
from there with cement block. Not sure if they mixed the concrete in the
trench. But bottom half of basement wall (below grade) is rough and
irregular.