Bob

Default OT - Building a ball and chain

Ok, had to post this anon so hopefully the groom will never find it.

A buddy of mine is getting married, for his bachlor parties we are
going to tackle him and shackle a ball and chain to his leg. This way
the strippers will have to cut off his pants to get them off.

So, I need to build this thing. I procured a bowling ball, a big eye
bolt, some masonry/metal epoxy, and some JB-Weld. I rigged up a coat
hanger and rubber band that holds the eye bolt in place in one of the
finger holes. And Day by day I have been filling the hole with the
epoxy and trying to mix it around the bolt with another piece of
coathanger.

Well It is a couple of days in, and the eyebolt is barley stiff in
there, and I
don't think the epoxy is setting right. And I know there is some
empty space in the hole between the bolt where the glue hasn't
reached. Part of it could be the fact that I can't really mix the
resin and the hardener well around the bolt. The other part of it
could be this was a bad idea.

If this dosn't work (it has to be strong as hell) I can pull/cut the
bolt out and use either the other finger hole or the thumb hole and
try again. So I had a couple of ideas.

Using JB weld or new tubes of epoxy, completely fill the hole with the
gunk and mix the resin and the hardener (forget what it is called in
the jb weld case), mix the them well in the finger hole, then stick
the eyebolt in and hopefully let it set.

or

Find a dowell made of some hard wood that is a good fit for the hole,
pound the crap out of it until it fills the hole, then drill a hole in
it and try to find a wood-thread eye bolt to screw in there. I don't
like this option, because the groom could unscrew the thing.

or

I was planning as a backup, to take a round container, fill it with
concrete and stick one of these bolts in there, this seems like the
simplest route.

So my questions:

Any other methods of doing this that I have overlooked, I already
tried google.

Will the JB weld set in a big puddle of itself in finger hole around a
bolt?

What is the best compound to use, liquid nails, epoxy, quickcrete?

Anyone got a line on a shackle? I was planning on using a masterlock
for the chain to the bolt, then a masterlock on the chain wrapped
around his leg.
Richard J Kinch

Bob writes:

Any other methods of doing this that I have overlooked, I already
tried google.

Drill and tap for 1/2"-13 threads and just screw it in. Get the tool at
Home Depot or an auto parts store. A washer and jam nut at the top would
prevent hand untightening but readily disassemble with tools. Rather
important for a safe restraint, you know.
August Pamplona

In m,
Bob typed:
[...]

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~keen0018/makeastone.htm but use a smaller
ball to construct the mold. Add the eye bolt to the setting cement. As
for the rest, do you know anybody in corrections? perhaps they could
tell you where one would get a decent leg shackle. Alternative, I would
imagine that a sex toys place that carries S&M stuff might have this
sort of thing. Perhaps that would be the best option (unless the S&M
stuff isn't built to be sturdy).

August Pamplona
--
The waterfall in Java is not wet.
- omegazero2003 on m.f.w.

a.a. # 1811 apatriot #20 Eater of smut
The address in this message's 'From' field, in accordance with
individual.net's TOS, is real. However, almost all messages
reaching this address are deleted without human intervention.
In other words, if you e-mail me there, I will not receive your message.

To make sure that e-mail messages actually reach me,
make sure that my e-mail address is not hot.

August Pamplona

In ,
August Pamplona typed:
In m,
Bob typed:
[...]

Note that I haven't tried this but I don't see a reason why it
shouldn't work.

August Pamplona
--
The waterfall in Java is not wet.
- omegazero2003 on m.f.w.

a.a. # 1811 apatriot #20 Eater of smut
The address in this message's 'From' field, in accordance with
individual.net's TOS, is real. However, almost all messages
reaching this address are deleted without human intervention.
In other words, if you e-mail me there, I will not receive your message.

To make sure that e-mail messages actually reach me,
make sure that my e-mail address is not hot.

the tree by the river

In article ,
Bob wrote:

A buddy of mine is getting married, for his bachlor parties we are
going to tackle him and shackle a ball and chain to his leg. This way
the strippers will have to cut off his pants to get them off.

So, I need to build this thing. I procured a bowling ball, a big eye
bolt, some masonry/metal epoxy, and some JB-Weld. I rigged up a coat
hanger and rubber band that holds the eye bolt in place in one of the
finger holes. And Day by day I have been filling the hole with the
epoxy and trying to mix it around the bolt with another piece of
coathanger.

Well It is a couple of days in, and the eyebolt is barley stiff in
there, and I
don't think the epoxy is setting right.

Sounds like this is being lots more trouble than it should be.
I've had great luck with paste epoxy like PC-7 which you mix
up on a piece of cardboard and then scoop into the hole. Very
strong, gap-filling, easily workable, and sets on any surface.
Should take one application and be set by the next day.

Anyone got a line on a shackle? I was planning on using a masterlock
for the chain to the bolt, then a masterlock on the chain wrapped
around his leg.

Believe it or not, I've seen some old shackles, leg irons, and even
ball-and-chains at antique malls. I'm sure there are lots of
"specialty" shops on the web that cater to people looking for
shackles, but another place you could look locally would be a tack
shop. Lots of weird hardware to be found there.

--
soc.singles FAQ [ Nyx Net, free ISP ] Misc.Fitness.Weights page
www.trygve.com/ssfaq.html [ http://www.nyx.net ] www.trygve.com/mfw.html

John Cochran

In article ,
Bob wrote:
[...]

Use the epoxy.
Don't try to mix it in place. That's what is causing your problem.
I would suggest taking a little sandpaper and roughing up the
inside of one of the finger holes. Then mixing up a batch of
epoxy *OUTSIDE* the hole. Then pour/scrape/whatever the epoxy
into the hole and then push the eyebolt into the hole. Wipe off
the excess epoxy and let it set.

You have plenty of time after you mix the epoxy in which to get
it into the hole. With 5-minute epoxy, you have about 5 minutes
before it starts to set and with regular epoxy you have about
a hour in which to work.
Leo Lichtman

"Bob" wrote: (clip) And Day by day I have been filling the hole with the
epoxy and trying to mix it around the bolt with another piece of
coathanger.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
You are trying to mix the epoxy inside the hole, beside the bolt? That's
not a good way. You will never get it properly mixed. Mix it on a flat
surface with a spatula--THOROUGHY--and then stuff it into the hole. Best to
partially fill the hole, also coat the eyebolt threads with mixed epoxy, and
then push the eyebolt into the hole. Be prepared to wipe or scrape off the
excess as it flows out of the hole. You might want to put masking tape on
the surface around the hole, so after it's cured, it is easy to pick off the
overflow.

m Ransley

A bucket , concrete and chain embedded , the bodies never float to the
surface

JWB

"Bob" wrote in message
m...
Ok, had to post this anon so hopefully the groom will never find it.

A buddy of mine is getting married, for his bachlor parties we are
going to tackle him and shackle a ball and chain to his leg. This way
the strippers will have to cut off his pants to get them off.

do your buddy a favor and make sure his fiancé is cool with this stuff. If
she is, more power to you - have a blast. But I've seen several bachelor
parties that caused serious marital strain.

zxcvbob

Bob wrote:

Ok, had to post this anon so hopefully the groom will never find it.

What is the best compound to use, liquid nails, epoxy, quickcrete?

Bondo, or properly mixed epoxy, or you might try melting some sulfur and
pouring it in the hole.

Instead of using the finger hole, you might try drilling a new hole just
the right size for an eye bolt with a 5" or 6" lag screw.

Bob

xrongor

forget all this epoxy and using the existing holes. just drill a hole in
the bowling ball the same size as the shaft of the eye bolt. drill it in a
strategic location so you can stuff a couple sticks or rods in the existing
finger holes to give you leverage to screw in the eye into the hole you just
drilled. use 6" of threads on the eye bolt and he's not gonna unscrew it..

as for a shackle, a visit to the pet store should provide somethign
workable.

randy

"Bob" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Don Klipstein

In article , Bob wrote:
[...]

You're supposed to mix resin and hardener with each other before
applying. You should apply thoroughly mixed epoxy to whatever you are
gluing.

- Don Klipstein )
Stephen Fels

"Bob" wrote in message
m...
Ok, had to post this anon so hopefully the groom will never find it.

A buddy of mine is getting married, for his bachlor parties we are
going to tackle him and shackle a ball and chain to his leg. This way
the strippers will have to cut off his pants to get them off.

So, I need to build this thing. I procured a bowling ball, a big eye
bolt, some masonry/metal epoxy, and some JB-Weld.

Why not a compression type rubber plug? You may have seen those deals with
the cylindrical piece of hard rubber, sandwiched between two washers, with a
bolt and nut to draw them together, compressing the rubber and causing its
diameter to expand (this is how the handgrips are held on my motorcycle and
a lot of boats use this setup as a drain plug). Find, or fashion one, with
an eye-bolt and Home Depot parts.
--
Stephen
Home Page: stephmon.com

Don Klipstein

In article , zxcvbob wrote:
Bob wrote:

Ok, had to post this anon so hopefully the groom will never find it.

What is the best compound to use, liquid nails, epoxy, quickcrete?

Bondo, or properly mixed epoxy, or you might try melting some sulfur and
pouring it in the hole.

I've used bondo before, and I doubt it's strong enough for this job.
But I believe epoxy is.

I think sulfur can be rather weak and/or brittle, and it is combustible,
and produces flammable vapors at some temperatures when melted. Also,
some metals may spontaneously ignite in molten sulfur. Not that I think
any screws will get burned up, but a mess of burning molten sulfur can be
a big problem. Keep in mind that sulfur, like methanol, burns with a dim
blue flame that may be invisible in bright light. Sometimes a sulfur
flame is visible from brownish sulfur vapors being visible, but don't
count on that.

Instead of using the finger hole, you might try drilling a new hole just
the right size for an eye bolt with a 5" or 6" lag screw.

- Don Klipstein )
Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Bob
wrote:

Ok, had to post this anon so hopefully the groom will never find it.

A buddy of mine is getting married, for his bachlor parties we are
going to tackle him and shackle a ball and chain to his leg. This way
the strippers will have to cut off his pants to get them off.

Unfortunately not too original.
About 4 months ago a friend of mine called me around 1 am, knowing that
I am a night-owl, to ask if he could pop over for a quick emergency
shop visit.

He shows up with a 15 lb lead ball chained to his foot.
His buddies had taken him out for his bachelor party and had attached
it at the strip club.

He was not amused.
The guy who had made it had asked that he leg shackle not be destroyed
so I just cut through the hinge link to remove it.

They had used a deep sea fish net weight.
Basically a lead ball with a steel eye-hook cast in it.

[...]

Peter Allen

"Bob" wrote in message
m...
Ok, had to post this anon so hopefully the groom will never find it.

A buddy of mine is getting married, for his bachlor parties we are
going to tackle him and shackle a ball and chain to his leg. This way
the strippers will have to cut off his pants to get them off.

So, I need to build this thing. I procured a bowling ball, a big eye
bolt, some masonry/metal epoxy, and some JB-Weld. I rigged up a coat
hanger and rubber band that holds the eye bolt in place in one of the
finger holes. And Day by day I have been filling the hole with the
epoxy and trying to mix it around the bolt with another piece of
coathanger.

First, in general, don't mix epoxy in place, do it on a sheet of newspaper
or in a paper cup (depending how much you need), and if you're going to take
more than a couple of minutes to get everything in place, don't use
ten-minute stuff...

Secondly, you'd do better to drill a new hole in the ball which you can
screw the bolt into; either use a vice to tighten it or put a bit of epoxy
down the sides of the hole before screwing the bolt in and it won't be
coming out by hand.

Peter

Joel Corwith

We did this where I used to work. They drilled a separate hole for the
eyebolt. Everyone is right on about mixing epoxy by itself if you're dead
set. Drill out the old stuff, it will never set. We didn't use a shackle,
just looped the chain around the victim's leg and locked the end back to the
chain, but needs padding if it's on for very long. Every ball got the names
of the couple and several had to be retired due to lack of space. Some had
a nice handle so they could keep on working, or go to the bathroom...

Joel. phx

m...

Bob wrote:

[...]

you got to drill a hole in the ball and make it a little smaller than
the threads on the eye bolt.. then push the eye bolt into the hole and
turn it until it bottoms out...
Randy Zimmerman

This guy can't be your friend. Friends don't do things like this to each
other. Over ten years ago in Prince George, British Columbia, Canada the
ball and chain thing went too far. It resulted in the loss of the use of
one arm, no marriage and a million dollar lawsuit.
Randy

"JWB" actually, my e-mail is jwb3333 at excite dot
com wrote in message ...

do your buddy a favor and make sure his fiancé is cool with this stuff. If
she is, more power to you - have a blast. But I've seen several bachelor
parties that caused serious marital strain.

Bob

Richard J Kinch wrote in message ...
Bob writes:

Any other methods of doing this that I have overlooked, I already
tried google.

Drill and tap for 1/2"-13 threads and just screw it in. Get the tool at
Home Depot or an auto parts store. A washer and jam nut at the top would
prevent hand untightening but readily disassemble with tools. Rather
important for a safe restraint, you know.

This did cross my mind, but I do not have the tools. I might be able
to get access to a drill press. Even if I did drill it by hand or
not, how difficult is it to tap it? Can you tap the material inside a
bowling ball? How deep could I get the threads to go? Is a tap of
this kind expensive?
Bob

"JWB" actually, my e-mail is jwb3333 at excite dot com wrote in message . ..
"Bob" wrote in message
m...
Ok, had to post this anon so hopefully the groom will never find it.

A buddy of mine is getting married, for his bachlor parties we are
going to tackle him and shackle a ball and chain to his leg. This way
the strippers will have to cut off his pants to get them off.

do your buddy a favor and make sure his fiancé is cool with this stuff. If
she is, more power to you - have a blast. But I've seen several bachelor
parties that caused serious marital strain.

Well, what are friends for. He is young, having a ball and chain
around his leg for 2 days won't kill him. Having the real ball and
chain for the next 60 years probably will.
John L. Weatherly

Randy Zimmerman wrote:

This guy can't be your friend. Friends don't do things like this to =

each
other. Over ten years ago in Prince George, British Columbia, Canada=

the
ball and chain thing went too far. It resulted in the loss of the us=

e of
one arm, no marriage and a million dollar lawsuit.
Randy
=20
"JWB" actually, my e-mail is jwb3333 at exci=

te
dot com wrote in message

do your buddy a favor and make sure his fianc=E9 is cool with this s=

tuff.
If she is, more power to you - have a blast. But I've seen several
bachelor parties that caused serious marital strain.

Just take it off of him the day after the party.
--=20
John L. Weatherly
Nashville, TN

Please remove triple X's to reply via email

ameijers

"Bob" wrote in message
m...
Ok, had to post this anon so hopefully the groom will never find it.

A buddy of mine is getting married, for his bachlor parties we are
going to tackle him and shackle a ball and chain to his leg. This way
the strippers will have to cut off his pants to get them off.

So, I need to build this thing. I procured a bowling ball, a big eye
bolt, some masonry/metal epoxy, and some JB-Weld. I rigged up a coat
hanger and rubber band that holds the eye bolt in place in one of the
finger holes. And Day by day I have been filling the hole with the
epoxy and trying to mix it around the bolt with another piece of
coathanger.

Uh, have you tried the pro shop at the bowling alley? They have some sort of
stuff they plug old holes with to redrill used balls. Take in the ball, and
the eyebolt with a few nuts and washers small enought to fit in the hole,
and see how much they would charge to flow it full of the stuff they use. I
don't know how strong the stuff is against getting pulled out, but it seems
to hold up against the G-loads of getting dropped repeatedly pretty well.

Failing that, I'd try what the other guy suggested about a compression plug.
Basically a jam nut and washer on bottom end of bolt, some thick rubber
washers, and another jam nut and washer on visible end. Hard part will be
getting a wrench on the visible end, around the shaft of the eye bolt, if it
is below surface of ball. Know anybody with a set of crow-foot wrenches?
You'll want to rough up the inside of the hole so the rubber can get
traction.

aem sends....

Randy Zimmerman

Until you get tired of your friends and run down the street carrying the
ball, slip and fall through a plate glass window. If you put a restricitve
device on someone you are responsible for the safety of that individual.
Being young is no excuse for being stupid.
I guess maybe I am a party pooper and off topic but I have seen too many of
these problems happen because no one thought about possibilities only the
immediate moment.
Randy

"Bob" wrote in message
m...

Well, what are friends for. He is young, having a ball and chain
around his leg for 2 days won't kill him. Having the real ball and
chain for the next 60 years probably will.

David Todtman

I don't get it. Guy wants to marry but wants to participate in a stripper
act? As part of the celebratory events surrounding the marriage?

Looks like the guy should just forget the marriage idea and stay single.

David Todtman

"Bob" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Richard J Kinch

Bob writes:

Even if I did drill it by hand or
not, how difficult is it to tap it? Can you tap the material inside a
bowling ball? How deep could I get the threads to go? Is a tap of
this kind expensive?

You can this with a hand power drill to drill, and a tap handle and tap by
hand. Plastic is easy to drill and tap. I would go 1-1/2 or 2 inches
deep. The Hanson brand (decent quality) tap/drill pair in 1/2-13 at Home
Depot is about $10.

Also suggest Bondo for filling in the finger holes. Lots cheaper than
epoxy and much easier to work, paintable.
Leo Lichtman

"Randy Zimmerman" wrote: Until you get tired of your friends and run down
the street carrying the ball, slip and fall through a plate glass window.
If you put a restricitve device on someone you are responsible for the
safety of that individual.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I doesn't look like they are going to call off this "stunt," regardless of
the meanness and the hazards. I suggest that someone stash a bolt cutter
nearby, just in case something does happen.

Paul Calman

It's easy. They make eye-bolts with wood threads, just bore a 1/4 inch hole
and twist it in. I have one i used to chain to my dog's harness to keep her
from jumping my 10 foot fence when i lived in a city. She could drag it
around the yard just fine (big dog) but the six foot chain kept her down.
The balls are usually made of wood with plastic coatings, or all plastic

--
Paul Calman, Hathaway Pines, California

Bob

"Bob" wrote in message
m...

Well, what are friends for. He is young, having a ball and chain
around his leg for 2 days won't kill him. Having the real ball and
chain for the next 60 years probably will.

You do have a good point about safety here, but ths guy is pretty
level headed, and I have seen him level headed after ~50 beers, he
just talks more. Thank you for you warning and I will keep safety in
mind at all times.

Bob

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote in message ...
In article , Bob
wrote:

Ok, had to post this anon so hopefully the groom will never find it.

A buddy of mine is getting married, for his bachlor parties we are
going to tackle him and shackle a ball and chain to his leg. This way
the strippers will have to cut off his pants to get them off.

Unfortunately not too original.
About 4 months ago a friend of mine called me around 1 am, knowing that
I am a night-owl, to ask if he could pop over for a quick emergency
shop visit.

He shows up with a 15 lb lead ball chained to his foot.
His buddies had taken him out for his bachelor party and had attached
it at the strip club.

He was not amused.
The guy who had made it had asked that he leg shackle not be destroyed
so I just cut through the hinge link to remove it.

That shackle was probably expensive.

They had used a deep sea fish net weight.
Basically a lead ball with a steel eye-hook cast in it.

This would save me a lot of time, might look for one, unfortunatly I am landlocked.
Bob

"Joel Corwith" wrote in message ...
We did this where I used to work. They drilled a separate hole for the
eyebolt. Everyone is right on about mixing epoxy by itself if you're dead
set. Drill out the old stuff, it will never set. We didn't use a shackle,
just looped the chain around the victim's leg and locked the end back to the
chain, but needs padding if it's on for very long. Every ball got the names
of the couple and several had to be retired due to lack of space. Some had
a nice handle so they could keep on working, or go to the bathroom...

Joel. phx

"Bob" wrote in message
m...
Ok, had to post this anon so hopefully the groom will never find it.

A buddy of mine is getting married, for his bachlor parties we are
going to tackle him and shackle a ball and chain to his leg. This way
the strippers will have to cut off his pants to get them off.

So you just drilled into a bowling ball and did not tap it for
threads? Just drill it tight and screw it in?
Bob

"David Todtman" wrote in message news:OMnIc.1007764$Pk3.968105@pd7tw1no...
I don't get it. Guy wants to marry but wants to participate in a stripper
act? As part of the celebratory events surrounding the marriage?

Looks like the guy should just forget the marriage idea and stay single.

David Todtman

He dosn't know about it yet.
Bob

Thank you all for your advice and saftey warnings.

It sounds like some of you have had success with just drilling a hole
and screwing the bolt in. I will try this next, if it is loose, will
try will mixed epoxy on the threads.

I will start with a smaller test bolt to see how this goes. Would
wood screw type threads be better than regular machine threads for
this? I don't even know if I could find an eye bolt with wood
threads.

I will have to yank the old eye bolt out, shouldn't be that hard, and
I will have to remove the gunk in that hole as best I can. When I
started doing it this way I thought it would work, damn. Never worked
with epoxy before.

While I am at home depot I will look for some kind of way to do the
compression ring thing, but as someone said I couldn't turn the top
nut past the visible end. I could use a jamb nut and washer setup on
the back end and turn the eye bolt, but this would move the bolt
further out of the hole, aesthetically this is not what I want.

The bowling pro shop was one of the best ideas I heard, but I would
rather do it myself, and I don't thikn they would be keen on the idea
of making restraints for people.

If the drilling fails and fails odviously because of tapping problems,
I might try to drill than tap. If that fails I am going JB weld in
the other fingerhole all at once. I was doing it a day at a time
before because I didn't think the stuff would set in a big puddle of
itself, I thought it had to be thin layers.
zxcvbob

Bob wrote:
Thank you all for your advice and saftey warnings.

It sounds like some of you have had success with just drilling a hole
and screwing the bolt in. I will try this next, if it is loose, will
try will mixed epoxy on the threads.

I will start with a smaller test bolt to see how this goes. Would
wood screw type threads be better than regular machine threads for
this? I don't even know if I could find an eye bolt with wood
threads.

Yes, they are called "lag screws" instead of wood threads when they get
that big. I think a long lag-screw eye bolt screwed into a hard rubber
bowling ball will be hard enough to unscrew you don't have to worry
about it. Try backing it out yourself, and if you can unscrew it, lube
the threads with just about any kind of glue when you put it back.

You could also drill an oversized hole and put in a lead shield for the
lag bolt.

I think the hard part will be drilling a 1/2" or 5/8" hole in the ball.

Bob