Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT , computers ...

* Got a ten year old iMac sittin' here , my d-i-l wants me to wipe it
and reset to as-new for my grandson . Problem is that I know nothing
about Apple comps and can't find much info online about one this old .
Any Apple users out there care to help ? This unit was apparently part
of a school network , wants to connect to a termunal server - but will
function independently , if slowly . Part of that will be cure by adding
more RAM , 512 Mb ain't near enough . Not planning on putting money into
it until I know if it can be reset though .

* --

* Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 22:22:20 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

* Got a ten year old iMac sittin' here , my d-i-l wants me to wipe it
and reset to as-new for my grandson . Problem is that I know nothing
about Apple comps and can't find much info online about one this old .
Any Apple users out there care to help ? This unit was apparently part
of a school network , wants to connect to a termunal server - but will
function independently , if slowly . Part of that will be cure by adding
more RAM , 512 Mb ain't near enough . Not planning on putting money into
it until I know if it can be reset though .

* --

* Snag

ten year old I-Mac isn't worth putting any time into. Likely won't
run any current OS, and if it will ir WILL be SLOW. Then comes the
issue of getting appropriate applications that will run on whatever OS
you can put on it.
Just my opinion, mind you - I'm not a "fruit computer" expert - much
more familliar with the Win/Dos boxes - but I've had enough exposure
to them to want to keep it that way - - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 10:21:52 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
* Got a ten year old iMac sittin' here , my d-i-l wants me to wipe it
and reset to as-new for my grandson . Problem is that I know nothing
about Apple comps and can't find much info online about one this old .
Any Apple users out there care to help ? This unit was apparently part
of a school network , wants to connect to a termunal server - but will
function independently , if slowly . Part of that will be cure by adding
more RAM , 512 Mb ain't near enough . Not planning on putting money into
it until I know if it can be reset though .
* --
* Snag

I forget, do Apple computers have a hamster wheel inside and a gerbil spinning it to make the computer go? ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Confused Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 22 Oct 2017 22:22:20 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

* Got a ten year old iMac sittin' here , my d-i-l wants me to wipe it
and reset to as-new for my grandson . Problem is that I know nothing
about Apple comps and can't find much info online about one this old .
Any Apple users out there care to help ? This unit was apparently part
of a school network , wants to connect to a termunal server - but will
function independently , if slowly . Part of that will be cure by adding
more RAM , 512 Mb ain't near enough . Not planning on putting money into
it until I know if it can be reset though .

There are two mac newsgroups, comp.sys.mac.system , comp.sys.mac.apps,
and comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc. Hardware is very quiet and one of the
ot her two is better than the other, but they were very helpful to me
when my friend died and I had to get some of his data off his computer.

* Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/2017 11:22 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
* Got a ten year old iMac sittin' here , my d-i-l wants me to wipe it and reset to as-new for my grandson . Problem is that I know nothing about Apple comps and can't find much info online
about one this old . Any Apple users out there care to help ? This unit was apparently part of a school network , wants to connect to a termunal server - but will function independently , if
slowly . Part of that will be cure by adding more RAM , 512 Mb ain't near enough . Not planning on putting money into it until I know if it can be reset though .

* --

* Snag

..

I work for a Fortune 50 company and it's Windows 7, Linux and Android everywhere.* There's not an iApple in the house.

Is your d-i-l sure the kid needs an iApple?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23/10/2017 04:22, Terry Coombs wrote:
* Got a ten year old iMac sittin' here , my d-i-l wants me to wipe it
and reset to as-new for my grandson . Problem is that I know nothing
about Apple comps and can't find much info online about one this old .
Any Apple users out there care to help ? This unit was apparently part
of a school network , wants to connect to a termunal server - but will
function independently , if slowly . Part of that will be cure by adding
more RAM , 512 Mb ain't near enough . Not planning on putting money into
it until I know if it can be reset though .

My iMac is nearly that age, Terry and it still works just fine! ;-)

Is your machine connected to the Internet?

Do you have any of the operating system set-up discs?

David

--
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick
themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. (Winston S.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 21:15:48 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 10:21:52 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
* Got a ten year old iMac sittin' here , my d-i-l wants me to wipe it
and reset to as-new for my grandson . Problem is that I know nothing
about Apple comps and can't find much info online about one this old .
Any Apple users out there care to help ? This unit was apparently part
of a school network , wants to connect to a termunal server - but will
function independently , if slowly . Part of that will be cure by adding
more RAM , 512 Mb ain't near enough . Not planning on putting money into
it until I know if it can be reset though .
* --
* Snag

I forget, do Apple computers have a hamster wheel inside and a gerbil spinning it to make the computer go? ?(?)?

[8~{} Uncle Confused Monster

It's Apple - no gerbils allowed -

only sterile albino lemmings running in their wheels.

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/2017 10:22 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
* Got a ten year old iMac sittin' here , my d-i-l wants me to wipe it
and reset to as-new for my grandson . Problem is that I know nothing
about Apple comps and can't find much info online about one this old .
Any Apple users out there care to help ? This unit was apparently part
of a school network , wants to connect to a termunal server - but will
function independently , if slowly . Part of that will be cured by
adding more RAM , 512 Mb ain't near enough . Not planning on putting
money into it until I know if it can be reset though .

* --

* Snag

* Thanks to all who responded . The kid was given this comp for helping
out a neighbor , probably because they couldn't figure it out either .
Y'all are right , it's slow - I was hoping adding some RAM would help
that ... But if none of the software now available will run on it , I
see no point . I have a "new" box here I built for him , has a new
Asrock mobo , quad core cpu , 8 Gb RAM and runs Win7 Pro 64 . But until
he gets his room cleaned (ongoing battle , and his room looks just like
the rest of the house)* there's nowhere to put it .

* --

* Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 8:11:24 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

It also depends on what you intend to use it for. You don't need to be
able to run all new software, you just need to be able to run what you
want and need to run. I have an old Dell Notebook that's similar age,
I use it as a spare,
occasionally when traveling, etc. All I use it for is internet and to
run BMW diagnostic software for the car. It's definitely a bit slow to
boot, the browser isn't as snappy, etc, but it's still useful. You
could find out what browser runs on that iMac, if none is available
that could be a go/nogo decision right there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23/10/2017 13:11, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

If you go here ... http://www.crucial.com

Crucial System Scanner

If you don't know your system's specs, use this.
Download and use our scanner tool, which will analyze your system's
hardware and provide a list of compatible upgrades that will work best
with your system's specs and capabilities.

=

I upgraded MY Apple iMac with RAM from Crucial years ago.

It's not expensive!

--
David B.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

* Got a ten year old iMac sittin' here , my d-i-l wants me to wipe it
and reset to as-new for my grandson . Problem is that I know nothing
about Apple comps and can't find much info online about one this old .
Any Apple users out there care to help ? This unit was apparently part
of a school network , wants to connect to a termunal server - but will
function independently , if slowly . Part of that will be cure by adding
more RAM , 512 Mb ain't near enough . Not planning on putting money into
it until I know if it can be reset though .

There are two mac newsgroups, comp.sys.mac.system , comp.sys.mac.apps,
and comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc. Hardware is very quiet and one of the
ot her two is better than the other, but they were very helpful to me
when my friend died and I had to get some of his data off his computer.

* Snag

That sounds like THREE groups?
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

I work for a Fortune 50 company and it's Windows 7, Linux and Android everywhere.* There's not an iApple in the house.

Is your d-i-l sure the kid needs an iApple?

People don't need Rolex watches and Ferraris either -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/17 11:22 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
* Got a ten year old iMac sittin' here , my d-i-l wants me to wipe it
and reset to as-new for my grandson . Problem is that I know nothing
about Apple comps and can't find much info online about one this old .
Any Apple users out there care to help ? This unit was apparently part
of a school network , wants to connect to a termunal server - but will
function independently , if slowly . Part of that will be cure by adding
more RAM , 512 Mb ain't near enough . Not planning on putting money into
it until I know if it can be reset though .

* --

* Snag

10 years ago is around the time Apple switched from PowerPC to Intel
processors. If the one you have is not an Intel machine, I'd definitely
scrap it out. Even if it is Intel, I wouldn't put any money into it- too
clunky, too slow, too many key components approaching arthritis and
senility onset.

If the lad does need a Mac, consider a refurb directly from one of the
authorized refurb companies or one of their resellers. Apple sells
refurbs directly too- tho much newer models and a more expensive too.

If a Windows machine will do, name brand new entry level laptops are in
the $200-$300 range. Very capable 2-3 year old refurbs of corporate
laptops are in the $150-$250 price range. I just picked up a 3rd gen
Dell Latitude Core i5 in A+ condition for $159 delivered from NewEgg.

--
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time or money
making it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , says...

[...]

As others said it is not worth it to fool with the Apple unless done for
historic purposes. It might sell on ebay as a collectors item.

As you already have another windows type box for him, it would not help
what I was going to say. You can get a refurbished used Dell for about
$ 60 shipped to you that will run most programs not counting high end
games. That is not much more than what more memory would cost for the
Apple if it will even take more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/17 12:15 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 10:21:52 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
* Got a ten year old iMac sittin' here , my d-i-l wants me to wipe it
and reset to as-new for my grandson . Problem is that I know nothing
about Apple comps and can't find much info online about one this old .
Any Apple users out there care to help ? This unit was apparently part
of a school network , wants to connect to a termunal server - but will
function independently , if slowly . Part of that will be cure by adding
more RAM , 512 Mb ain't near enough . Not planning on putting money into
it until I know if it can be reset though .
* --
* Snag

I forget, do Apple computers have a hamster wheel inside and a gerbil spinning it to make the computer go? ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Confused Monster

No, my Mac has a miniature atomic reactor powering it. Makes a good
night lite as it glows in the dark ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 11:50:55 AM UTC-5, Retired wrote:
[...]

Well dang! I was hoping it would be radioactive mutant ninja gerbils supplying the power. I've been waiting for the new iGerbil to come out on the tech market. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Glowing Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2017 10:44 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...
[...]

* It has directions on the bottom of the stand , and takes DDR2 , which
I have on hand . I'd have to check stock , but I believe I have 2 sticks
of 2Gb left over from my recent round of upgrades/rebuilds .

* --

* Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2017 10:07 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 10/22/17 11:22 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
** Got a ten year old iMac sittin' here , my d-i-l wants me to wipe
it and reset to as-new for my grandson . Problem is that I know
nothing about Apple comps and can't find much info online about one
this old . Any Apple users out there care to help ? This unit was
apparently part of a school network , wants to connect to a termunal
server - but will function independently , if slowly . Part of that
will be cure by adding more RAM , 512 Mb ain't near enough . Not
planning on putting money into it until I know if it can be reset
though .

** --

** Snag

10 years ago is around the time Apple switched from PowerPC to Intel
processors. If the one you have is not an Intel machine, I'd
definitely scrap it out. Even if it is Intel, I wouldn't put any money
into it- too clunky, too slow, too many key components approaching
arthritis and senility onset.

If the lad does need a Mac, consider a refurb directly from one of the
authorized refurb companies or one of their resellers. Apple sells
refurbs directly too- tho much newer models and a more expensive too.

If a Windows machine will do, name brand new entry level laptops are
in the $200-$300 range. Very capable 2-3 year old refurbs of corporate
laptops are in the $150-$250 price range. I just picked up a 3rd gen
Dell Latitude Core i5 in A+ condition for $159 delivered from NewEgg.

* It's not a case of need , it's a case of "Hey I got this thing for
free and I can't make it do what I want it to . Grandpa ... " . Oh , and
it's an Intel dual core 1.8Ghz CPU , with a measly 512 Mb of memory .

* --

* Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 13:40:03 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

Oh , and
it's an Intel dual core 1.8Ghz CPU , with a measly 512 Mb of memory .

Didn't Bill Gates say all you will need is 2 MB of RAM?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Oh , and
it's an Intel dual core 1.8Ghz CPU , with a measly 512 Mb of memory .

Didn't Bill Gates say all you will need is 2 MB of RAM?

Worse, it was 640K. (but he denies saying it)

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:B...s#640_k.2F1_MB
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Oh , and
it's an Intel dual core 1.8Ghz CPU , with a measly 512 Mb of memory .

Didn't Bill Gates say all you will need is 2 MB of RAM?

Worse, it was 640K. (but he denies saying it)

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:B...s#640_k.2F1_MB

My first comoter had 4K and I upgraded it to 16K at a cost of about
$64.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Oh , and
it's an Intel dual core 1.8Ghz CPU , with a measly 512 Mb of memory .

Didn't Bill Gates say all you will need is 2 MB of RAM?

Nope, he said 640k (the limit in MS DOS)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Oh , and
it's an Intel dual core 1.8Ghz CPU , with a measly 512 Mb of memory .

Didn't Bill Gates say all you will need is 2 MB of RAM?

Worse, it was 640K. (but he denies saying it)

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:B...s#640_k.2F1_MB

My first comoter had 4K and I upgraded it to 16K at a cost of about
$64.

The first mainframe I worked on had 4K and it cost as much as a new
Cadillac to get 4 more K. That was core storage tho.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

** People don't need Rolex watches and Ferraris either -

A cheap watch is likely to keep time just as well as a Rolex, and may
even be more readable (and less likely to be stolen). For me, that makes
the cheap watch better.
BTW, I notice that I don't wear a wris****ch much any more, since I have
my cell phone.

Watch sales and small camera sales are way down with cell phone use. I
was never without a watch since about the age of 16 until a couple of
years ago. I still have one and wore it to a wedding last month.

I scour Thrift Stores for my little 5 mm thick Seiko . nope.
Seiko offers a similar - new - thicker - model - nope -
... maybe later - when I'm hard-up.
I need a new watch every 15 years or so - everyday wear -
... come-on Seiko .. I'll pay whatever you ask.
.. almost ...
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/17 11:22 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Got a ten year old iMac sittin' here , my d-i-l wants me to
wipe it and reset to as-new for my grandson . Problem is
that I know nothing about Apple comps and can't find much
info online about one this old . Any Apple users out there
care to help ?

First off, a good place to look for info is:
http://forums.macrumors.com/

Unless it's one of the last PowerPC iMacs (called the g5),
it should have an Intel processor in it.

Is it a "white colored" iMac or one of the first "aluminum"
ones?

You can find out what version of the OS is on it by going to
"About this Mac" directly under the Apple menu.

We need to know just which iMac before recommending an OS.
Again, go to "About this Mac", and see if it offers you
"more info" (or go to the Utilities folder in the
Applications folder, and look for Apple System Profiler).
Open the System Profiler.
Look at the "hardware overview".
Look at "Model identifier". It should say something like
"iMac6,x"
What is that number?
It identifies exactly what you have.

If it's a 2007 (white) model, you can use up to OS 10.7 "Lion".
If it's a 2008 (aluminum) or later, you could use OS 10.8
"Mountain Lion".
Either would do well to revive it.
On the 2008, it might even run OS 10.11 "El Capitan". But
Mountain Lion will run better.

Did the place you got it from give you any System DVD's?
If not, sometimes you can get the OS software from Apple,
but for an older Mac, this might not be possible.
In that case, I can think of two ways to get a copy of the
OS installer you need:
- ebay. Some folks will sell you a USB flashdrive with the
OS installer pre-installed. Just boot and install
- the torrents. When one can't find what one needs anywhere
else, one does what one has to do.

More recent Macs can do something called "internet
recovery", but yours is too old.
Forget that, won't work.

It's not really all that hard to erase the internal drive,
then put a clean copy of the OS and basic applications onto
it -- IF one knows what to do. The Mac is different from the
Windows world in that respect.

What I would do if you put it into my hands (I've been a Mac
user for 30 years, don't touch Windows):
1. Download the OS installer I needed. THIS HAS TO BE DONE
ON THE MAC, you can't do it on a PC
2. Get a USB flash drive (should be 16gb) and create a
bootable flash drive installer
3. Boot from the flash drive (reboot and hold down the
option key immediately, and keep holding it down until the
startup manager appears -- then click on the USB drive to
select it and hit return)
4. Use Disk Utility to erase the internal drive, and run
"repair disk" on it a few times for good measure
5. Use the installer to install the OS
6. When the installer is finished, you should be presented
with the setup screen. At this point, create a user account
and password.
6a. If it's "for kids", you should create an administrative
account for yourself, and then create "standard"
(NON-administrative) accounts for each of the kids.

Hope this gets you going.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/17 2:40 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Cool, then go for it. I've worked on a few "grandpa projects" like that
with my grandson too!

The suggestion to use the Crucial Memory Scanner to see exactly what
kind of memory you need is a good place to start. You can buy what you
need from Crucial. You also might be able to find some used memory
sticks with the right specs pretty cheap on Ebay.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 10:25:10 PM UTC-4, J.Albert wrote:
[...]

The above process makes me glad I've always bought Windows based PCs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 10:32:17 AM UTC-4, BurfordTJustice wrote:
Nonsense...not much different from a PC.

:
[...]

Ten year old PCs generally have a recovery partition that will restore
the PC to the as shipped software with just a couple keystrokes.