Brad

Default Switching a Keyboard Between Two Computers

Hi,

I recently hooked up two computers side by side. I do not have room for
two keyboards. I have a data transfer switch box. Is there any danger that
might damage the keyboard controller by switching the keyboard between one
computer and the other while both computers are turned on?

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.

Michael Rabeno

There shouldn't be any damage to the keyboard. Iv'e done it myself and it
worked fine (actually, I've built a KVM switch from a data transfer switch,
and the only problem it has was the video signal - too noisy).

Just make sure you turn on one computer at a time with the switch directed
to it, so it can recognize the keyboard, then you can switch over to the
other computer.

Regards,
Michael

"Brad" wrote in message
Hi,

I recently hooked up two computers side by side. I do not have room
for
two keyboards. I have a data transfer switch box. Is there any danger
that
might damage the keyboard controller by switching the keyboard between one
computer and the other while both computers are turned on?

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.

William R. Walsh

Hi!

Yes, there is. And even worse: many PC's will not work with a
keyboard that is switched this way.

Not likely on a well designed motherboard using a *decent* switchbox. Most
boards have no problems with an "unexpected keyboard disconnect" so long as
a key wasn't being pressed when it happened.

There is the odd system that doesn't handle it well (beeping, garbage key
entries, incorrect key functions, or total keyboard lockout) but these are
not as common. Causing a permanent failure is even more unlikely, but with
today's "Super I/O chips" that hold all basic I/O functions in one large
packaged IC, this may be a gamble you aren't willing to take.

And as a KVM also switches your mouse and display, you will end
up with even more free space on your desk :-)

Some KVMs do not work well with some kinds of equipment. You don't have to
look very hard to find equipment that doesn't work well or at all with one,
a few or all types of KVMs out there.

William

Quadrajet1

Some KVMs do not work well with some kinds of equipment. You don't have to
look very hard to find equipment that doesn't work well or at all with one,
a few or all types of KVMs out there.

William

I have a Mac G4 and a PeeCee that I am switching with a IOGear Mini-View
USB-KVM.

I have an Apple USB keyboard, Kensington USB Expert Mouse Pro trackball, Dell
21" monitor, and several other USB devices, and all switches well. Only
downside, it only supports USB 1.1, not the faster 2.0. Maybe they've upgraded
by now.

Raymond

Norm Dresner

"Quadrajet1" wrote in message
Some KVMs do not work well with some kinds of equipment. You don't have

look very hard to find equipment that doesn't work well or at all with

one,
a few or all types of KVMs out there.

William

I have a Mac G4 and a PeeCee that I am switching with a IOGear Mini-View
USB-KVM.

I have an Apple USB keyboard, Kensington USB Expert Mouse Pro trackball,

Dell
21" monitor, and several other USB devices, and all switches well. Only
downside, it only supports USB 1.1, not the faster 2.0. Maybe they've

upgraded
by now.

I've got 4 SGI Octanes and 2 SGI Indigo2 workstations along with 6 or so
PC's of various manufacturers including Dell and several generic ones and I
have absolutely no problems with my Belkin Omniview Pro KVM switches. I had
several other brands of smaller ones (I have 2 8-port now) and while mice
were sometimes not properly supported, I've never had a single computer
complain about switching keyboards or monitors.

Norm