Posted to alt.home.repair
Wade Garrett Wade Garrett is offline

Default OT , computers ...

On 10/23/17 2:40 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 10/23/2017 10:07 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 10/22/17 11:22 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â*Â* Got a ten year old iMac sittin' here , my d-i-l wants me to wipe
it and reset to as-new for my grandson . Problem is that I know
nothing about Apple comps and can't find much info online about one
this old . Any Apple users out there care to help ? This unit was
apparently part of a school network , wants to connect to a termunal
server - but will function independently , if slowly . Part of that
will be cure by adding more RAM , 512 Mb ain't near enough . Not
planning on putting money into it until I know if it can be reset
though .

Â*Â* --

Â*Â* Snag

10 years ago is around the time Apple switched from PowerPC to Intel
processors. If the one you have is not an Intel machine, I'd
definitely scrap it out. Even if it is Intel, I wouldn't put any money
into it- too clunky, too slow, too many key components approaching
arthritis and senility onset.

If the lad does need a Mac, consider a refurb directly from one of the
authorized refurb companies or one of their resellers. Apple sells
refurbs directly too- tho much newer models and a more expensive too.

If a Windows machine will do, name brand new entry level laptops are
in the $200-$300 range. Very capable 2-3 year old refurbs of corporate
laptops are in the $150-$250 price range. I just picked up a 3rd gen
Dell Latitude Core i5 in A+ condition for $159 delivered from NewEgg.

Â* It's not a case of need , it's a case of "Hey I got this thing for
free and I can't make it do what I want it to . Grandpa ... " . Oh , and
it's an Intel dual core 1.8Ghz CPU , with a measly 512 Mb of memory .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Cool, then go for it. I've worked on a few "grandpa projects" like that
with my grandson too!

The suggestion to use the Crucial Memory Scanner to see exactly what
kind of memory you need is a good place to start. You can buy what you
need from Crucial. You also might be able to find some used memory
sticks with the right specs pretty cheap on Ebay.