BOBS7

Default Goodman Furnaces: Any opinions?

I'm looking for any replies from people who have had experience with Goodman
gas furnaces--good or bad. Thanks in advance.
Doug Kanter

I just bought a house which has a one year old Goodman furnace. In addition
to the general home inspection, I also paid for a separate inspection of the
furnace and AC unit, using a heating contractor I've used for the past 20
years at my old house. He said:

1) Goodman furnaces are "serviceable but nothing special".
2) "Contractor grade"
3) If you were selling your home soon, you might install one just so you
could honestly say there was a new furnace.
4) More like a 7 year old Chevy than a 7 year old Toyota. At 7, the Chevy's
a bottomless pit for repair money. At 7, the Toyota's like a 45 yr old man
who's taken good care of himself all his life. Put money into the Toyota,
shoot the Chevy.

Vague, nothing exciting.

"BOBS7" wrote in message
I'm looking for any replies from people who have had experience with

Goodman
gas furnaces--good or bad. Thanks in advance.

American Mechanical

"BOBS7" wrote in message
I'm looking for any replies from people who have had experience with

Goodman
gas furnaces--good or bad. Thanks in advance.

From a contractor's point of view, they are a cheap piece of crap. That
being said, the installation is far more important than the brand. A google
search will give you zillions of pages of different opinions on the
equipment choices. A quality installer can install a Goodman that will out
last and out perform a poorly installed Trane BUT he can't prevent the
actual lower grade components from possible failure. Unless you're looking
for the cheapest bid, keep looking.

- Robert

I-zheet M'drurz

BOBS7 wrote:

I'm looking for any replies from people who have had experience
with Goodman gas furnaces--good or bad. Thanks in advance.

My "new" one's run for 2 winters (+1 1/2 summers for the AC) now,
without a hitch. I'll give a lot of respect to the professionals
who tell you that a great deal depends on the installation, I
think mine was done rather well, both from the finished results
and spending several "looking over the shoulder" hours while the
crew was here working. Find yourself a dealer that's been around
for about a hundred years, and go for it.

Tom Pendergast e-mail is for sissies, say it on line
I-zheet M'drurz

BOBS7 wrote:

I'm looking for any replies from people who have had experience
with Goodman gas furnaces--good or bad. Thanks in advance.

PS: NEVER, ever, EVER trust an opinion on them from a dealer
carry them. Anybody that doesn't is likely DEEPLY in bed with
one or more of the "Big Boys", and they trash Goodman just as
a reflex action. IOW: They don't sell it, they don't want you
asking about it from them or anybody else.

Tom Pendergast e-mail is for sissies, say it on line

American Mechanical

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in message
BOBS7 wrote:

I'm looking for any replies from people who have had experience
with Goodman gas furnaces--good or bad. Thanks in advance.

PS: NEVER, ever, EVER trust an opinion on them from a dealer
carry them. Anybody that doesn't is likely DEEPLY in bed with
one or more of the "Big Boys", and they trash Goodman just as
a reflex action. IOW: They don't sell it, they don't want you
asking about it from them or anybody else.

While I agree completely with your assessment of brand bashing, I feel that
it doesn't apply to Goodman. There are many brands that I have one reason
or another to dislike including the one I deal. It's just that after years
of experience in the field, many find fault with Goodman. As I mentioned,
that's not to say that with proper installation they will not last but that
they are manufactured at a lower standard. i.e. the stack sequencer used
for blower control.......

- Robert

Tom Pendergast e-mail is for sissies, say it on line

Tekkie

BOBS7 posted for all of us....

I'm looking for any replies from people who have had experience with Goodman
gas furnaces--good or bad. Thanks in advance.

Obviously you have not researched this before belching out your question.
Search Google on this subject, it has been discussed ad nauseam.
Google is your friend http://groups.google.com
Do I have to do the rest too?

Tekkie
TURTLE

"BOBS7" wrote in message
I'm looking for any replies from people who have had experience with Goodman
gas furnaces--good or bad. Thanks in advance.

This is Turtle.

As I look back over a history of installing Goodman and 12 other brands of
furnaces for the last 40 years or so, I then will now speak.

I don't have a problem with Goodman gas furnaces GMTH , GMNT, and GMT. Now I do
have some reservations about GMP which are not sold anymore.

The three furnaces listed above are just middle of the road equipment and so is
about 95% of all other model there is in all the other brands. So I have to just
rate this OK and one of the boys.

Now Any furnace installed by a hack , Turkey, Dave, or very poor installer is
the '' worst '' brand / model of furnace ever sold by man. This will include
every brand know to man kind.

Now if any brand of furnace is installed by a real good installer , a
professional , and installes it right per say the installation instructions.
That brand or model is the best brand that a man can buy on this earth.

Anything else is of no importance.

TURTLE

---

PJx

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 22:02:22 GMT, "American Mechanical"
wrote:

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in message
.. .
BOBS7 wrote:

[...]

Are you a dealer and do you sell goodman?

Tom Pendergast e-mail is for sissies, say it on line

American Mechanical

BOBS7 wrote:

[...]

I am a dealer, and have sold Goodman. I no longer offer Goodman, it's very
available to me but I won't sell it.

- Robert

Tom Pendergast e-mail is for sissies, say it on line

I-zheet M'drurz

American Mechanical wrote:
"PJx" wrote...
"American Mechanical" wrote:
"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote...

PS: NEVER, ever, EVER trust an opinion on them from a
dealer carry them. Anybody that doesn't is likely DEEPLY
in bed with one or more of the "Big Boys", and they trash
Goodman just as a reflex action. IOW: They don't sell
it, they don't want you asking about it from them or
anybody else.

While I agree completely with your assessment of brand
bashing, I feel that it doesn't apply to Goodman.

(Goodman bashing snipped)

Are you a dealer and do you sell goodman?

I am a dealer, and have sold Goodman. I no longer offer
Goodman, it's very available to me but I won't sell it.

There ya go, point proven.

If you did sell Goodman, you would have competition from the
other shops who do, not like your territorial deals with the
big name manufacturers.

Ya know, people could accept that, know it's common business
sense, if only you guys didn't feel the need to ****ing LIE
about your motives.

Tom Pendergast e-mail is for sissies, say it on line
Doug Kanter

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in message

While I agree completely with your assessment of brand
bashing, I feel that it doesn't apply to Goodman.

(Goodman bashing snipped)

Are you a dealer and do you sell goodman?

I am a dealer, and have sold Goodman. I no longer offer
Goodman, it's very available to me but I won't sell it.

There ya go, point proven.

That proves absolutely NOTHING. Are you saying it's impossible that he knows
what he's talking about and is telling the truth? It's entirely possible
that Goodman is to furnaces as Sanyo was to car stereos in the past (and may
still be - I'm out of the biz for too long). Except for a few delusional
people, anyone who installed Sanyo figured out quickly that the stuff was
crap.

Again using the Sanyo analogy, the poster says "it's very available to me",
which I'd guess means that any dealer who wants the line can have it. Sanyo
was the same way. What does that say about the equipment?

If you did sell Goodman, you would have competition from the
other shops who do, not like your territorial deals with the
big name manufacturers.

Ya know, people could accept that, know it's common business
sense, if only you guys didn't feel the need to ****ing LIE
about your motives.

Are you sure he lied? Are you 100% positive that a Carrier or Trane unit is
NOT worth more money than a Goodman?

American Mechanical

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote

(Convenient snipping of context snipped.....)

Are you a dealer and do you sell goodman?

I am a dealer, and have sold Goodman. I no longer offer
Goodman, it's very available to me but I won't sell it.

There ya go, point proven.

LOL. Point proven?? Hardly.

If you did sell Goodman, you would have competition from the
other shops who do, not like your territorial deals with the
big name manufacturers.

WRONG. As has been discussed here many times, I can get a better quality
unit for the same money as Goodman. You see, those freaks at the other
manufacturers thought they should be able to compete so their prices are
comparable. Besides, as I said, I have sold Goodman but was growing weary
of the cheap part failures. You see Tom, if you install more than 5 a year
you're going to be filling out those god forsaken Goodman warranty claims
for a fan relay here, contactor there, and a few of those 26 gauge squirrel
cage brackets that have cracked and dropped the blower motor.

Ya know, people could accept that, know it's common business
sense, if only you guys didn't feel the need to ****ing LIE
about your motives.

Many things I am sir, a ****ling liar is not one of them. I'm happy that
you have a Goodman furnace and hope it gives you years of trouble-free
service. This does not change my opinion that it's a piece of **** nor the
opinion expressed in my reply to the OP about the importance of the quality
of the installation.

- Robert

Tom Pendergast e-mail is for sissies, say it on line

CBHVAC

BOBS7 wrote:

[...]

AMEN...I keep about 6 of those on EVERY truck...
Complete, utter junk.

- Robert

Are you a dealer and do you sell goodman?

Heh...
Goodman has no dealer network as such...none.

*I* personally USED to sell some Goodman, and the local rep for East Coast
Supply here is trying to get me to sell Goodman...but WHY?
I got my Trane price sheets today, and I can buy Trane for almost the same
price...think on that for a bit...
Now...given that, I repair more Goodman, (under warranty I might add, even
though I dont sell them) than any other brand. 2 today alone.

They have an advantage...

literally, 4 parts on the truck and you have every defrost timer, IFC and
and blower control every used, and 4 motors, you have the entire line
covered.
THAT alone tells me that corners are cut..and GOD HELP you if you hit a
furnace case by accident, or have to drag it in a crawlspace...its crap for
sheetmetal.

They are also, getting pretty good prices for scrap...

They are used often on apartment complexes that think they are getting a
deal...and they are...since Goodman only has a 3% pricing structure, and I
can buy 100 units of YORK equipment for a 25% pricing structure...(thats
sarcasm)

I have actually had to convince builders, that we can install name brand
(known name brands) for less than the Goodman guys can, by actually offering
the job for free in the end...if we could not beat any installation they had
in a Goodman quote, and do it better, and neaterthan any one they have seen.
Needless to say...we have no problems with business...

Tom Pendergast e-mail is for sissies, say it on line

Doug Kanter

What's a stack sequencer?

Dorot29701

I don't have a Goodman furnace but I do have the Goodman outside air
conditioner. I have had it about 12 years and have never had any problems with
it.

Dorothy
CBHVAC

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
What's a stack sequencer?

A piece of ****...you want the truth..
Its a way to make a relay, out of crap.

Basically, nothing but a bi-metal strip that heats up when 24VAC is passed
over it, and it snaps up and a small plastic pin pushes up another bi-metal
strip, and it closes one leg of a 220VAC circuit...
They fail on Goodmans so often that they dont even require that under
warranty we return the bad ones..they just hand us another one...most of the
time, all they want to know is, Is it Under Warranty?
Yes, or no...

American Mechanical

"CBHVAC" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
What's a stack sequencer?

A piece of ****...you want the truth..
Its a way to make a relay, out of crap.

Basically, nothing but a bi-metal strip that heats up when 24VAC is passed
over it, and it snaps up and a small plastic pin pushes up another

bi-metal
strip, and it closes one leg of a 220VAC circuit...
They fail on Goodmans so often that they dont even require that under
warranty we return the bad ones..they just hand us another one...most of

the
time, all they want to know is, Is it Under Warranty?
Yes, or no...

Yep, they're crap alright. The theory isn't all bad and they are used on
many electric heat packages, it's the quality of the part used. It's
advantage is the delay on and delay off caused by the heating of the
bi-metal. That being said, it appears that Goodman has a company that
supplies their sequencers that uses the employees that were fired from
Taiwan toy manufacturers for poor workmanship.....

- Robert

CBHVAC

"American Mechanical" wrote in message
om...

"CBHVAC" wrote in message

[...]

The ones that are so bad, believe it or not, are Texas Instruments branded.
The newones, are not much better, but they are a bit better. When in a real
bind, or I have one that seems to eat them, I replace it with either a
universal ICB, or a Coleman SS. Works fine..