Walter Cohen

Default Pella vs Andersen Windows and installation

I need to have both my sliding glass patio doors as well as my front living
room bay window replaced.
My two options are Andersen or Pella. Andersen I believe is good enough and
of sufficient quality that it meets my expectations/criteria.

I know Pella is kinda a one-stop dealer providing installation as well. I
was wondering if Pella, including installation, would be more expensive than
purchasing Andersen and having a contractor (or window installer) install
them. I am thinking the answer would be - yes. Especially for the bay
window I am thinking there would be a fair amount of carpentry required.
The patio doors are pretty standard.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks.
Walter

rosie read and post

i must vote AGAINST a pella sliding door.
mine have the screen on the inside slide track and they CANNOT be
hosed down!

--
rosie
http://www.rockthevote.com/rtv_register.php

t...
:
: I know Pella is kinda a one-stop dealer providing installation as
well. I
: was wondering if Pella, including installation, would be more
expensive than
: purchasing Andersen and having a contractor (or window installer)
install
: them. I am thinking the answer would be - yes. Especially for
the bay
: window I am thinking there would be a fair amount of carpentry
required.
: The patio doors are pretty standard.
:
: Thoughts on this?
:
: Thanks.
: Walter
:
:

Edwin Pawlowski

"rosie read and post" wrote in message

i must vote AGAINST a pella sliding door.
mine have the screen on the inside slide track and they CANNOT be
hosed down!

Sure thy can. Takes but a minute to take it out and give it a hose job. If
you are really daring, it can be done from inside but my wife won't let me.
Ed

Chip Orange

My thoughts are that I have a house full of relatively new Pella wooden
windows, and unless you live in a completely dry climate, I *would not* buy
wooden windows again. Pella was supposed to release a vinyl window, and I'd
consider it, but I've had about 10 Pella windows/doors replaced in 10 years
due to rot problems (despite any number of professional painters calking and
painting to beat the band).

(Oh, and I have the aluminum clad variety, which I was told would make me a
worry-free home owner ).

Chip

[...]

Gary Dyrkacz

I have the Pella vinyl clad Designer series. The oldest windows are
13 years old, including a patio door. There has been no rotting.
There has been some fading of the brown vinyl color. The one problem
I do have is that two of the windows are hitting the sill on the
bottom edge furtherest from the hinges. My feeling is that this is a
design flaw. I will probably need to remove the window and place a
washer under the pivot point We have brand new Pellas and the hingle
design is different. These are fairly large casement windows - a
little under 7 ' high. As for the original poste's question, I can't
help. We bought custom replacement windows directly from the Pella
store, and had the Pella installer put them in. The installers were
different for each job, but both did an excellent job. The Pella sales
rep came out several times during the installation to check on the job
and make sure the installers had all the parts they needed. I doubt
thus was the cheapest route, but the cost was about what I expected.

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 15:16:04 -0400, "Chip Orange"
wrote:

My thoughts are that I have a house full of relatively new Pella wooden
windows, and unless you live in a completely dry climate, I *would not* buy
wooden windows again. Pella was supposed to release a vinyl window, and I'd
consider it, but I've had about 10 Pella windows/doors replaced in 10 years
due to rot problems (despite any number of professional painters calking and
painting to beat the band).

(Oh, and I have the aluminum clad variety, which I was told would make me a
worry-free home owner ).

Chip

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
et...
[...]

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+
http://home.attbi.com/~dyrgcmn/

Ned

"Walter Cohen" wrote
I need to have both my sliding glass patio doors as well as my front

living
room bay window replaced.
My two options are Andersen or Pella.
Thoughts on this?

Thanks.
Walter

Why do you feel these are your two options?

m Ransley

Anderson have better glass and condense at a higher humidity, CDF. I
have both and the Andersons never condense Pellas do. A factory
installer guarntees your windows will be in Warranty for the warranty
life. I had a Hack instal mine out of square and level, 1/8 is all the
fatory allows any more and No warranty... That is how many claims are
dismissed. Luckily I caught 4 mistakes and made the Hack redo it . It
wasn`t worth it.

Consumer reports has a good article and rates and explains CDF , SHG ,
VLT, R & total U value and alot more . Glass is not made equal.
Andersons machine for coating is a 30,000,000$ machine that gives
great clear glass. My instaler, I sued and won and he has no money, I
still have problems to fix. Instalation is key, factory is best,
research from consumer reports.

Marvin is another top line. Pella sliding doors I dont like because
the screen is on the inside, so after leaving your door open all night
where do you think the bugs will go when you have to open the screen to
close the door , Hint , inside with you. I think its a stupid design.
Pella does have the triple track option I dont think Anderson has , but
the screen design made me say no. to Pella. My wood pella windows I wipe
down every dam day in winter , ice forms and now mold is setting in the
seam. Im not happy with Pella at all on this, they are 2 yrs old. And
I dont use a humidifier in winter. With winows you get what you pay for.
Pellas were a
" best Buy " at consumer reports but I paid no attention to the CDF
rating.

m Ransley

Whoever you hire use a good 5 ft level and verify Plumb, Level, and
Square, before you pay.

Walter Cohen

Only because I think these are the two best brands out there. I would not
consider going with Home Depot/Lowe's windows - whatever brand they carry.

Walter

"Ned" wrote in message

"Walter Cohen" wrote
I need to have both my sliding glass patio doors as well as my front

living
room bay window replaced.
My two options are Andersen or Pella.
Thoughts on this?

Thanks.
Walter

Why do you feel these are your two options?

harry palmer

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Whoever you hire use a good 5 ft level and verify Plumb, Level, and
Square, before you pay.

we're having 27 windows done so I could use some advice as to how to verify
Plumb, Level and Square. Any other tips would be great.

Abe

Hi Ed,

This is Abe (we exchanged some omni-filters and food prep items).

Your comment reminds me of an old Tim Allen bit where he talks about using a
leaf blower to dust the inside of the house. Hilarious - I'd love to try it.
-------------------------------------

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 19:15:09 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"rosie read and post" wrote in message

i must vote AGAINST a pella sliding door.
mine have the screen on the inside slide track and they CANNOT be
hosed down!

Sure thy can. Takes but a minute to take it out and give it a hose job. If
you are really daring, it can be done from inside but my wife won't let me.
Ed

m Ransley

Harry, get new level just smaller than the inside frame diameter so
it fits in the actual window and practice. To measure Square 2 people
and string are used for a slider its diagonal both ways. Or a
carpenters old fashioned folding wood measuring stick with the brass
extender. Again it takes practice , being exact is necessary, so learn
If you find a mistake be sure you are right the contractor will be
****ed off on a redo. Dont complain till you are Well Passed your
deposit point or guys Walk over Redos. Be sure he has more to loose than
you. Be sure sealant is proper and in the right place and of proper
type. Be sure you dont have tight frames that wont allow for specified
expansion. Plumb on an old tilting house may or may not break a
warranty, Ck your house , call the window Co. Get it in writing or make
them plumb. 1/8" is the max allowed by Pella and Anderson, Your window
Co may be different 1/16" for ex. Get it in writing or you may find you
have No Warranty from day 1 . Read your instructions. There is more but
Im no window pro I learned the hard way . So did my hack instaler. Who
I found out later Has 8 judgements on him [ Im # 8 ] No drivers lisence
and 3 warrants out on him in 2 states and the wifey has a Mercedes and I
cant collect. And regurarly takes deposits and Leaves. Ck court
records. If warranty states 1/8" and he is at 1/8" dont accept it .
In 10 yrs your house may shift out. Put in contract Installer to
follow instalation instructions. They say Plump..Level..and Square..
thats Exact and what it should be.

Art

Home Depot carries a low level Andersen and Lowes has a low line of Pella.

I have vinyl clad andersen. ONe problem is that if a sill gets damaged it
is a bitch to replace. I know from experience. Pella is supposed to be
better designed for component replacemnet. I have mostly Andersen vinyl
clad wood windows and putting in Pella sliding doors and entrance doors.
Pella seems better designed to me. I like their new vanishing screens.

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
t...
Only because I think these are the two best brands out there. I would not
consider going with Home Depot/Lowe's windows - whatever brand they carry.

Walter

"Ned" wrote in message

"Walter Cohen" wrote
I need to have both my sliding glass patio doors as well as my front

living
room bay window replaced.
My two options are Andersen or Pella.
Thoughts on this?

Thanks.
Walter

Why do you feel these are your two options?

Ned

"Walter Cohen" wrote
Only because I think these are the two best brands out there. I would not
consider going with Home Depot/Lowe's windows - whatever brand they carry.

If it's wood you want, and you're really looking for quality. My decision
would be between Marvin & Hurd. Now if you're not opposed to vinyl, there
are some really good vinyl products out there by other manufacturers. I
agree, I wouldn't even think shopping HD/Lowes.

Walter Cohen

Well, my patio doors are standard glass doors - 72" wide and 80" tall (not
wood frame). If I could I would just buy the standard-size Andersen at HD
and put it in myslef with th ehelp of a buddy.

But I figured as I need the front bay replaced 10' wide x 5' high (again -
not wood), which also has a vertical crank casement window on either side,
I'd look to have one place do both for me.

Walter

"Ned" wrote in message

"Walter Cohen" wrote
Only because I think these are the two best brands out there. I would

not
consider going with Home Depot/Lowe's windows - whatever brand they

carry.

If it's wood you want, and you're really looking for quality. My decision
would be between Marvin & Hurd. Now if you're not opposed to vinyl, there
are some really good vinyl products out there by other manufacturers. I
agree, I wouldn't even think shopping HD/Lowes.

Ned

"Walter Cohen" wrote
Well, my patio doors are standard glass doors - 72" wide and 80" tall (not
wood frame). If I could I would just buy the standard-size Andersen at HD
and put it in myslef with th ehelp of a buddy.

But I figured as I need the front bay replaced 10' wide x 5' high (again -
not wood), which also has a vertical crank casement window on either side,
I'd look to have one place do both for me.

Walter

If you never installed a door, best to help someone that has and knows the
correct way, not just someone that threw a door in and think they got a
bargain over the professional price. Besides plumb/level/square, the
flashing work is most important. You do not want a bunch of caulk replacing
flashing, caulk is a very poor substitute for flashing (head/sides/sill).
You must also caulk under sill and insulate the cavities at both side jambs
and at head jamb.

A couple years ago I put in a 10 ft wide x 53" high vinyl bay, had double
hung both sides, 21" projection, oak seat board and head board along with
factory insulated seat. Had lowE and argon filled. My cost (contractor) was
a tad over 3k not including further incidentals such as coil stock, interior
trim, further insulation, misc vertical vinyl, lumber, J channels, etc. This
was for material only, no roof needed for it went out under a 24" soffit.
This was for a really good virgin vinyl window (Polaris). Keep in mind, you
do not have to stay with the same projection as you have now. Also, you can
change the end windows to whatever suits your fancy, you do not have to stay
with casements (casements are more expensive than double hung)

I also put in a 10'x8' Marvin Bow with just awning windows in the end
panels. Projection of 16", my cost just for the window was slightly under
10k.

When all said and done, the vinyl looked as good as the Marvin, _but_ the
Marvin definately is a better window.

Happy window shopping.

Ned

Default A couple of notes

I made reference to the cost of the vinyl bay. Cost of Marvin bay at the
time for a 10'x53" bay was almost 5k compared to the 3k. Also, both windows
the head & seat board were not solid oak, but oak veneer 3/4" ply, which you
had to edge band either with the iron on edging, or glue and brad tack oak
you cut on a table saw.

The Polaris vinyl bays and bows do put 5/8" threaded rods in the corners
where picture meets operational windows, which is there for strength plus
you can bolt to rafters on overhangs. Also, the Polaris vinyl frames were
foam filled for additional insulating.

PJx

So you are too good for Home Depot and Lowes?

What a elitist snob.

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 01:05:31 GMT, "Ned" wrote:

"Walter Cohen" wrote
[...]

Ned

"PJx" wrote in message

So you are too good for Home Depot and Lowes?

What a elitist snob.

Their quality is non-existant. If you want garbage, keep buying there. Each
their own.

PJx

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 23:01:47 GMT, "Ned" wrote:

"PJx" wrote in message

So you are too good for Home Depot and Lowes?

What a elitist snob.

Their quality is non-existant. If you want garbage, keep buying there. Each
their own.

Hey I was just pulling your chain. I'm ok, you're ok, but still,
most of what they sell is the exact same as what you get in the high
priced stores. Many seem to believe that mfgs have special
warehouses to ship their Home depot junk too. Not true.

Pj

webinfo

Dear M. Ransley,

We are writing in response to the email dated July 5, 2004 that you
have posted on Google Groups. We certainly appreciate you selecting
Pella® products for your home, and are very sorry to learn that you
are having difficulties with them.

We would very much like to assist with the issues you are facing with
your products. To do this we need to know what products you have and
where you purchased them. We would also appreciate your personal
information, such as name, address, and phone number, so that we may
follow up on your concerns. You can email this information to
.

Thank you for giving us this opportunity to serve you. We look
forward to resolving any problems that may be diminishing your
satisfaction in our products.

Sincerely,

Rhonda
Pella Corporation
Customer Support

(m Ransley) wrote in message ...
[...]

m Ransley

Pella at box stoes is the same quality but their tri pane is only
avalaible through dealers.

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 15:33:50 -0500, someone wrote:

... Many seem to believe that mfgs have special
warehouses to ship their Home depot junk too. Not true.

BUT - many mfgs DO have specific model numbers which are just for the
big box stores. Now, to what degree these items differ from the 'full
price' versions is a matter of debate and variation. It could have
the exact same significant characteristics and just be eye wash so
they can assure their other wholesale customers they don't sell the
same product to HD. OR it could be quite different.

Clothing mfgs do the same thing with Walmart vs. say Macy's and the
like.

-v.
Art

Pella has very clear instruction on installation. Too bad even their
certified installers are unlikely to follow them carefully in my experience.

"Ned" wrote in message

"Walter Cohen" wrote
[...]

Art

Pella entry doors are identical in quality at LOwes as at a Pella store but
a thousand dollars cheaper. Unfortuantly the windows and sliding doors at
LOwes are only the cheaper versions but they should still be good.

"Ned" wrote in message

"PJx" wrote in message

So you are too good for Home Depot and Lowes?

What a elitist snob.

Their quality is non-existant. If you want garbage, keep buying there.

Each
their own.

Chip Orange

I didn't know they made vinyl clad, but I'm assuming it's a wooden sash
underneath. This is what has rotted on sooooo many of my Pella Windows
(here in Florida).

When I complained (again) during the most recent sash replacements, the
salesman told me they were coming out with a solid vinyl window soon for
this very problem.

Chip

wrote:

[...]

Mark Slone

Don't let this nice post from Pella fool you into thinking they
offer great service. I've emailed them twice with a description
of my problem (with 1 of the 26 Pellas I had built into my
new house in 1997) and they never replied. I couldn't even
get the local Pella store people out to look at the window.

As for Pella vs Andersen, I had narrowed my choices down to
those two and one other, and I wish I'd gone with the Andersen.
Not just the lack of service, but because the aluminum clad
Pellas tend to show scratches and I think the vinyl clad
Andersens would age better. In my area the Andersen windows
are slightly more expensive but probably worth it.

(webinfo) wrote in message . com...
[...]

m Ransley

Default Pella Sucks the big one....... BUY Anderson windows

After a few mails and no response I got ****ed at them , they
responded but only asking for more info and no further response or help.
Bunch of Bull **** wouldnt you say.

Buy Anderson , on my complaint on a door seal not " Looking " right
they sent me Free a whole door kit of weatherstripping Free. Must be a
150$ worth of everything.

Pella , no service after all this time and 4 emails.

m Ransley

Did you pay Ed

m Ransley

Still no response from pella