Chip Orange

Default Pella vs Andersen Windows and installation

I didn't know they made vinyl clad, but I'm assuming it's a wooden sash
underneath. This is what has rotted on sooooo many of my Pella Windows
(here in Florida).

When I complained (again) during the most recent sash replacements, the
salesman told me they were coming out with a solid vinyl window soon for
this very problem.

Chip

"Gary Dyrkacz" wrote in message
I have the Pella vinyl clad Designer series. The oldest windows are
13 years old, including a patio door. There has been no rotting.
There has been some fading of the brown vinyl color. The one problem
I do have is that two of the windows are hitting the sill on the
bottom edge furtherest from the hinges. My feeling is that this is a
design flaw. I will probably need to remove the window and place a
washer under the pivot point We have brand new Pellas and the hingle
design is different. These are fairly large casement windows - a
little under 7 ' high. As for the original poste's question, I can't
help. We bought custom replacement windows directly from the Pella
store, and had the Pella installer put them in. The installers were
different for each job, but both did an excellent job. The Pella sales
rep came out several times during the installation to check on the job
and make sure the installers had all the parts they needed. I doubt
thus was the cheapest route, but the cost was about what I expected.

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 15:16:04 -0400, "Chip Orange"
wrote:

My thoughts are that I have a house full of relatively new Pella wooden
windows, and unless you live in a completely dry climate, I *would not*

buy
wooden windows again. Pella was supposed to release a vinyl window, and

I'd
consider it, but I've had about 10 Pella windows/doors replaced in 10

years
due to rot problems (despite any number of professional painters calking

and
painting to beat the band).

(Oh, and I have the aluminum clad variety, which I was told would make me

worry-free home owner ).

Chip

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
et...
I need to have both my sliding glass patio doors as well as my front

living
room bay window replaced.
My two options are Andersen or Pella. Andersen I believe is good

enough
and
of sufficient quality that it meets my expectations/criteria.

I know Pella is kinda a one-stop dealer providing installation as well.

was wondering if Pella, including installation, would be more expensive

than
purchasing Andersen and having a contractor (or window installer)

install
them. I am thinking the answer would be - yes. Especially for the bay
window I am thinking there would be a fair amount of carpentry

required.
The patio doors are pretty standard.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks.
Walter

Gary Dyrkacz

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+
http://home.attbi.com/~dyrgcmn/