Morgan

Default Window and Installation Costs

My wife and I are replacing the original wood casement windows in our
1938, stucco exterior home. We are considering aluminum clad wood
exterior/wood interior windows from Lincoln, but we are not sure the
cost is worth it over vinyl. We received a quote for $15,000 for 10
windows installed, including replacing the frames and repairing the
stucco. Most windows are 42.5x55. The company broke out the costs to
be $9900 for the windows and $5000 for labor. $1000 per window and
$500 for each installation seems high to me. In their quote, they
show list price as $14028 and their discounted price to me at $9900.
Is this a reasonable price. We are in the San Francisco Bay Area, so
I know prices here are higher.

Thanks.
Morgan
Mad Mac

Morgan wrote:
My wife and I are replacing the original wood casement windows in our
1938, stucco exterior home. We are considering aluminum clad wood
exterior/wood interior windows from Lincoln, but we are not sure the
cost is worth it over vinyl. We received a quote for $15,000 for 10
windows installed, including replacing the frames and repairing the
stucco. Most windows are 42.5x55. The company broke out the costs to
be $9900 for the windows and $5000 for labor. $1000 per window and
$500 for each installation seems high to me. In their quote, they
show list price as $14028 and their discounted price to me at $9900.
Is this a reasonable price. We are in the San Francisco Bay Area, so
I know prices here are higher.

Thanks.
Morgan

We're near LA, so I would imagine prices here would be broadly similar
to yours - in June, we had a window installed where there wasn't one
before for $1600, included all demolition and rebuilding, finishing
exterior stucco to original colour and interior wall to a textured
finish. Window itself was aluminium framed sliding double pane and
included a screen. Same company quoted us a cost of about $500 each to
replace two windows of a similar size to yours - cost included finishing
as above.

Methinks the price you were quoted is a little excessive.

Art Begun

I believe Pella has windows that replace the tracks and sashes of your
old windows. So if the window frames are still good that may be a
better way to go. Other brands may have them too.

"Morgan" wrote in message
om...
My wife and I are replacing the original wood casement windows in

our
1938, stucco exterior home. We are considering aluminum clad wood
exterior/wood interior windows from Lincoln, but we are not sure the
cost is worth it over vinyl. We received a quote for $15,000 for 10
windows installed, including replacing the frames and repairing the
stucco. Most windows are 42.5x55. The company broke out the costs

be $9900 for the windows and $5000 for labor. $1000 per window and
$500 for each installation seems high to me. In their quote, they
show list price as $14028 and their discounted price to me at $9900.
Is this a reasonable price. We are in the San Francisco Bay Area,

so
I know prices here are higher.

Thanks.
Morgan

HA HA Budys Here

And remember - the people "selling" are salesmen and generally know NOTHING
about construction, quality construction or the process, codes, etc. All they
know how to do is sell, YOU, on their outrageously overpriced windows.

Go to Home Depot and look at what a similar sized window or set of windows
costs, brand new. Then try to get the salesman to justify the price of his
"custom" windows.

I've never seen a "replacement window" job where the windows didn't look like
replacement windows. They often consider "repair" of stucco to mean, installing
a 6-8-or 10" wide exterior "moulding" around the completed window to hide the
damage stucco and eliminate the need for any real stucco work.painting/ paint
matching, etc...

William W. Plummer

Know the difference between "replacement" windows and "new construction"
windows when you go looking for prices. It is possible to use either, but a
new construction window has the flap of flashing material that sticks out
about 3" on all outside edges. Replacement windows are just a box that
slides into the hole with the molding intact. There is a difference in the
price of the two designs. Replacement windows are available in a very
limited set of sizes. I just had to settle on a new construction unit for
my bathroom and it worked fine but i had to redo the molding on the outside
which was more work than I had hoped.

Also, look out for NewPro salesmen that come to your house. They are
selling financial loans and "windows" is just the excuse. You can tell
because they tell you to have everyone present who signed the mortgage on
your home. You can get the same quality vinyl window just about anywhere
for a lot less and not have the 2nd mortgage.

"HA HA Budys Here" wrote in message
[...]

Art Begun

By the way, only the better windows have the nailing/flashing strip
around the edges.

Thought I would mention a technique that I saw carpenters used to
remove a door with minimal damage. They pulled off carefully the
molding on one side, cut the nails that were then visible and the
frame just came out. Put in new door/frame, put molding back and
touched up paint. No sheetrock work at all.

"William W. Plummer" wrote in message
[...]

cwizard

"Morgan" wrote in message
om...

My wife and I are replacing the original wood casement windows in our
1938, stucco exterior home. We are considering aluminum clad wood
exterior/wood interior windows from Lincoln, but we are not sure the
cost is worth it over vinyl. We received a quote for $15,000 for 10
windows installed, including replacing the frames and repairing the
stucco. Most windows are 42.5x55. The company broke out the costs to
be $9900 for the windows and $5000 for labor. $1000 per window and
$500 for each installation seems high to me. In their quote, they
show list price as $14028 and their discounted price to me at $9900.
Is this a reasonable price. We are in the San Francisco Bay Area, so
I know prices here are higher.

Thanks.
Morgan

GET A NEW QUOTE.

I just replaced NINE windows in my house with store bought replacements and
paid $109 each + $300 a day labor got them installed in two days. They look
GREAT to me and I saved a ton of money.