David Babcock

Default Window and Installation Costs

Aren't reciprocating saws wonderful?

Dave

"Art Begun" wrote in message
hlink.net...
By the way, only the better windows have the nailing/flashing strip
around the edges.

Thought I would mention a technique that I saw carpenters used to
remove a door with minimal damage. They pulled off carefully the
molding on one side, cut the nails that were then visible and the
frame just came out. Put in new door/frame, put molding back and
touched up paint. No sheetrock work at all.

"William W. Plummer" wrote in message
Know the difference between "replacement" windows and "new

construction"
windows when you go looking for prices. It is possible to use

either, but a
new construction window has the flap of flashing material that

sticks out
about 3" on all outside edges. Replacement windows are just a box

that
slides into the hole with the molding intact. There is a difference

in the
price of the two designs. Replacement windows are available in a

very
limited set of sizes. I just had to settle on a new construction

unit for
my bathroom and it worked fine but i had to redo the molding on the

outside
which was more work than I had hoped.

Also, look out for NewPro salesmen that come to your house. They

are
selling financial loans and "windows" is just the excuse. You can

tell
because they tell you to have everyone present who signed the

mortgage on
your home. You can get the same quality vinyl window just about

anywhere
for a lot less and not have the 2nd mortgage.

"HA HA Budys Here" wrote in message
And remember - the people "selling" are salesmen and generally

know
NOTHING
about construction, quality construction or the process, codes,

etc. All
they
know how to do is sell, YOU, on their outrageously overpriced

windows.

Go to Home Depot and look at what a similar sized window or set of

windows
costs, brand new. Then try to get the salesman to justify the

price of his
"custom" windows.

I've never seen a "replacement window" job where the windows

didn't look
like
replacement windows. They often consider "repair" of stucco to

mean,
installing
a 6-8-or 10" wide exterior "moulding" around the completed window

to hide
the
damage stucco and eliminate the need for any real stucco

work.painting/
paint
matching, etc...